screenwash problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

fergie

screenwash problem

Postby fergie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:34 am

Hi, i have a very strange problem with my screenwash, it all started a couple of months ago when my rear screenwash stopped working (not a major problem) then the front stopped working as well. i checked all the fuses in the glovebox area and all are ok. i made sure i had water in the screenwash bottle. then the front started to work again but it seemed to be a less poweful jet onto the windscreen but i could live with that. then last night the front stopped working again but started working again this morning. does anybody have any suggestions what is wrong with it.
i think it could be one of 3 things. pump in washer bottle is on its way out, relay in fuse box in engine compartment ( if it has one ) or the connection on the control at the right of the steering wheel which operates the wipers and screenwash fuctions. the wipers all work fine it is just the wash fuction that has me baffled.
sorry for the long post.

thanks

Steve

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Re: screenwash problem

Postby markren2004 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:53 am

fergie wrote:Hi, i have a very strange problem with my screenwash, it all started a couple of months ago when my rear screenwash stopped working (not a major problem) then the front stopped working as well. i checked all the fuses in the glovebox area and all are ok. i made sure i had water in the screenwash bottle. then the front started to work again but it seemed to be a less poweful jet onto the windscreen but i could live with that. then last night the front stopped working again but started working again this morning. does anybody have any suggestions what is wrong with it.
i think it could be one of 3 things. pump in washer bottle is on its way out, relay in fuse box in engine compartment ( if it has one ) or the connection on the control at the right of the steering wheel which operates the wipers and screenwash fuctions. the wipers all work fine it is just the wash fuction that has me baffled.
sorry for the long post.

thanks

Steve

The screenwash pump works one direction for windscreen, and in reverse for rear, so it sounds like it initially stopped working in reverse and now it's stopped working forward ?

fergie

Postby fergie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:01 am

thanks for that,
any idea why it would stop working then start working again after a few hours.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:25 am

fergie, do you have the tailgate spoiler fitted?
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

fergie

Postby fergie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:56 am

no i dont have the tailgate spoiler fitted. does this make a difference?

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:09 pm

If you did it could have been that the rear wash jet hadn't been re-fitted correctly, which is what happened to mine, this led to the water trickling down the inside of my rear window and reduced the pressure to both the rear and the front jets. Might still be worth checking just in case your rear washer jet was fitted at 16:55 on a Friday :wink:
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

fergie

Postby fergie » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:43 am

i think it is the pump that is faulty. what is the easiest way to replace the washer pump without taking the front bumper off. can i get to it from under the car?

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:29 pm

fergie wrote:i think it is the pump that is faulty. what is the easiest way to replace the washer pump without taking the front bumper off. can i get to it from under the car?

first line in the Haynes manual for this is "Remove bumper".
I can't remember if it's visible from underneath, it might be ?

megane10
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 52reg, 1.6VVT 16v

Postby megane10 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 am

I have the same problem as stated above, my windscreen washer pump does not work either for the front or the rear. Does anyone know if the pump is a twin outlet or single? I have been told by an (unreliable) source that the Megane Mk2 has two pumps for the windscreen wash, one at the front and one at the rear. However all I can find from searches on the internet are twin outlet pumps. Can anybody help?

Thanks

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:42 pm

is one pump with two outputs, one for rear, other for front. The propeller rotates in one direction and the water goes for one of the two exits. The propeller rotates on the other direction and the water goes to the 2nd output.

the pump is accessible from under the car, just have to take out the lower engine plastic cover to reach it.

good luck

Return to “Problems / Questions”