MY MEGANE BLEW UP!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

shwamiman

MY MEGANE BLEW UP!

Postby shwamiman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi, I have a 53 plate Megane Dynamique 1.9dci. 85,000 miles. I was driving it and came off of a roundabout in 3rd gear when without warning the car started to accelerate on its own. My first instict was to break and then take it out of gear which resulted in me being able to get the car to stop but the engine was revving at full tilt, with thick wgite smoke belching out. Key out, made no odds. Car continued to rev at full pelt for over a minute as I abandoned ship, then it stopped on its own accord. Having read up on the symptoms, turbo runaway is resbonsible for this damage. I had none of the associated power loss, smoke on engine start symptoms to look out for. I have had it at a local garage who are unwilling to take the job on as they say the amount of damage to the engine would result in the job turning into a bottomless pit and chewing up all my money. I bought the car a year ago for £4000 and i am unwilling just to scrap it. I live in the Dundee area of scotland and im wondering if anyone had any advice about getting the engine, turbo etc repaired/replaced or if its even worthwhile! Gutted, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ross :-(

shwamiman

Re: MY MEGANE BLEW UP!

Postby shwamiman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah, the warning panel indicates ingnition fault. Car would not start after failure. The garage I took it to said they got it running but was only running on 3 cylinders. The garage also said that in each cylinder there is and ignitor and all 4 of these needed replaced at £250 for each which also had to be coded or something by renault!. When you say an engine would cost around £700 roughly what does that include. I know I will need a new turbo, intercooler and engine. What else could I possibly need and what is a reasonable price to pay a garage in labour to fit a new engine, turbo, intercooler and what ever else needs done.

Cheers Ross

shwamiman

Postby shwamiman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Insurance company will not touch the car. As the damage was not caused by fire, accident or criminal damage. It is due to a component failure they saw which did not result in an accident. Typical insurance compant stance. I will try and find a garage I can trust to give me a breakdown of components needed to get the car back on the road. Then I will try and source refurbed parts to put in it. Anyone here know of somebody who would be interested in taking this project on?

andyleicester

Postby andyleicester » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:43 pm

had exactly the same problem few days ago, engine racing away, broken turbo etc.
was told by towtruck driver the best thing to do is put it into top gear and allow the car to stall, engine is revving even harder when the clutch is in as there is no load on it.
after reading up on this it seems to be a very common problem with the diesel turbos........honestly think the french should stick to building cheese!

quoted a price of £590 plus vat just to buy the turbo, and a grand to get car back on the road!

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 pm

to stop the engine in that cases just gear up 5th gear and depress clutch. the engine stops

for your problem i would first try out a recon turbo, 1 piston and 1 injector, if possible all aquired on scrap yards. you will get your car working for a much affordable price

cheers

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Sounds like your car suffered oil leak from the turbo and self-fed.

Nothing will stop this unless you 5th gear and dump clutch out.
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:39 pm

In theory pressing the start button 5 times quickly will shut off the air intake thus stalling the engine. I don't know if it works with a runaway turbo, but I've tried it in a very empty car park at 30mph (in neutral) and the engine stops dead. The ignition remains on including the electronic steering assistance. I don't recommend testing this, but it is worth practising it (SAFELY) in case you should suddenly need to do it.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:53 pm

No this wouldnt work on self feeding...

Self feeding means it will burn oil instead of Diesel. So even when the diesel pump stops, the oil leaking into the chamber will act the same way and combust.

The only way you can stop this it is low gear (5th/6th) throw out the clutch hard with foot on the brake and hope the clutch holds. This should immediately stall the engine, clutch can be damaged but cheaper in the long run.
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm

i think it will stop, the air intake is shut, no air, no flame.

cheers

webb1983
Currently Drives:: megane mark 2 1.5dci

Postby webb1983 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:05 pm

i had the same problem on my 05 1.5dci... the car revs went mental and thick blue smoke poured out the back.the car was self feeding on oil and no matter what i did i could not stop it from running, after having it looked at i was told that i needed a new block as all the bits in side have been bent to hell and on turn over you could hear that it had dropped a cylinder and was leaking water and oil out the head which now has a big crack in it due to it over reving. lucky for me the turbo and intercooler was ok so it was just a lump that needed a change but trying to find a 9k9 lump was not easy. when talking to the very nice man doing the change for me he told me that the 1.5 dci had a big problem with the self feeding and that this was the 7th one he done in 6 months and that when thay go thay over rev them selfs to bits and is better to change the engine block as a hole and would not advise replacing all the bits inside as it could turn in to a big money pit. hope this is of some help to some one some were :devil

Return to “Problems / Questions”