I've got Xenon headlights !!

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:30 pm

mpsurman wrote:Wow they look good.Where did you fix the ballasts?

Well I don't know where Pinknoise fixed his ballasts, but here's where I fixed mine:

left-hand side:

and right-hand side:

I didn't want to drill any extra holes, so I fixed the ballast holders to the car with some extra strong double-sided tape from Plastic Padding. And on the left-hand side the was this unused stud protruding from the inner wing which acts as a 'safety hanger' should the tape fail, although it seems so sticky that seems unlikely.

shawty500
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane Cabriolet 1.9 Dci

Re: I've got Xenon headlights !!

Postby shawty500 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:53 am

Hi sorry for bringing back up an old thread, but I have been trying to search the club for the info I need.

it may seem a stupid question, and the answer may seem obvious, but thought its best to check.... If I fit HiDs will it affect my auto lights?

Thanks in advance :)

thedools
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: '04 Renault Megane 1.9 Dci 120 Dynamique - 3 Door - Black - Lowered -45 - 225 bumpers - Tints - Alloys

Postby thedools » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Hey Shawty, HID's wont affect your auto lights but i think because the megane has the can-bus wiring some cheap kits can cause bulb alarms etc..

The best kit to buy is the H7 Ultimate kit from hids4u, thats what i bought. Got the anti-glare reflector bulbs aswell and i havnt been flashed once, brilliant kit.

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-35w-ultimate ... n-kit.html

dont forget the discount code 'STRATHY' ;)

Tom
Megane 1.9 DCI 120, 3 dr, Black, Tints, HIDs, -45 Springs, 225 Bumpers, Alloys, Phase 2 rear lights, Carbon badge, LED Interior, French pressed plates

MIstry_J
Currently Drives:: 2007 renault megane (1.5dci dynamique)

Postby MIstry_J » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:12 pm

I've had a H7 xenon kit i got off ebay (6000k) one of the best mods i have done since buying my megane. the bulbs look awesome during the day and even better at night. i haven't had any problems with them so far and as afar as mot goes, my cousin has the same kit in his bmw 1 series and it sailed through the mot without auto leveling lights and washers.

i think the main thing is to have the projector headlamps, if they are not then xenons tends to blind on coming drivers.

Jay,

mattyc25
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: megane mk2

Postby mattyc25 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi folks

I too have xenon lights fitted. My set are 12000k and are white with a hint of blue. Theyre awesome at nyt, and make things much clearer than halogen bulbs do.

Here's a couple of pics. Sorry about the size of the images guys.

2009 Megane MK2 1.6 16v VVT, Rear Tinted Windows, 18 Kei Force 10 Hyper Black, Painted Calipers, Lowered 45mm, Full 12000k HID's, R26.R Spoiler

wyuen1
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane

Postby wyuen1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:36 pm

hi, when fitting the lights did you have to cut the 25mm (1inch) hole for the rubber gromit?

mattyc25
Pass Plus

Postby mattyc25 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:28 pm

yes mate. you have to do this for the cable attached to the bulb.

half way up there should be a rubber circle. pull this through the hole you make, so that theres rubber overlapping either side of the hole, this seals the cover.
2009 Megane MK2 1.6 16v VVT, Rear Tinted Windows, 18 Kei Force 10 Hyper Black, Painted Calipers, Lowered 45mm, Full 12000k HID's, R26.R Spoiler

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Is there need for a hid decoder or aren't there any problems with warning lights coming up? Also is there any difference between a hid kit and a canbus hid kit??

Cheers

mattyc25
Pass Plus

Postby mattyc25 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi mate

I fitted the kit straight out the box, nothing extra.. just the ballasts and the bulbs, plug and play

These stories about the aftermarket kits setting off warning lights is a myth. Ive had my kit in for 2 years now and havent had a days bother with them.

My kit is just a Hid kit.. never heard of a canbus hid kit?

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks fitted mine today, the bloke I got the set from said cars which tell you a bulbs gone will have problems, the ones which don't have no problems... Like ours :-)
Fitted my kit today, not driven anywhere in it yet but they were blinding when I was fitting them!lol I fitted my ballasts to the like crash reinforcement bar type thing, tie wraps and taped, think it should do, n just bought some 501 blue bulbs as the others look ridiculously yellow against these.. Is 501 the wright ripe for sidelight?

Aside from that my kit was £49 and on the manafacturers site sells at £157 something like that, if Antibes interested let me know and I'll pass on the sellers name/listing number..

andyb24
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Mk2 1.4

Postby andyb24 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Hey Joe

You got that link mate as i wanna do mine...
Also do you need to strip the bumper off to fit these...

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re:

Postby Stranger » Fri May 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Big Mac wrote:Somebody told me that to have xenons you must have a headlight wash system and automatic headlamp levelling by law. Not sure if its true or not.

Just wonder when the car finally gets to an MOT whether it would fail on the headlights ?

It is true and when it got to mot it would fail if it didn't have headlight washers. Also an officer of the law could stop the car and issue an on the spot fine and penalty points.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

pfeek114
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 1.5 DCI

Postby pfeek114 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 pm

getting stopped by plod is something i have never withnessed what with so many cars having them from the factory, i dont personally think they bother as its not as bad an offence as doing 60mph in a 30 lol

i knew about the rules regarding HIDs but luckily im one of very few people who has managed to fit them without removing the bumper so its an easy swap
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.........No Smoke, No Poke

Return to “Modifications”