Water in storage box in drivers footwell

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

onlydiesels

Re: Water in storage box in drivers footwell

Postby onlydiesels » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:20 pm

remove the glovebox on the passenger side and have a look on the bulkhead where the main loom comes through. i also found that the nearside scuttle drain outlet pipe was right above the main loom (in the engine compartment) so water was dripping onto the loom,getting between the individual wires and running (along the wires)through the centre of the grommet and dripping onto the plastic heater pipe which runs behind the glove box,and so onto the floor.

jonton,with regard to the carpets being dry but the storage boxes wet,that`s because the boxes are the lowest point so all the water will gather there,i`ll bet that if you lift the carpet up,all the sound proofing underneath will be wet too.

VROOM

Postby VROOM » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 am

onlydiesels wrote:remove the glovebox on the passenger side and have a look on the bulkhead where the main loom comes through. i also found that the nearside scuttle drain outlet pipe was right above the main loom (in the engine compartment) so water was dripping onto the loom,getting between the individual wires and running (along the wires)through the centre of the grommet and dripping onto the plastic heater pipe which runs behind the glove box,and so onto the floor.

jonton,with regard to the carpets being dry but the storage boxes wet,that`s because the boxes are the lowest point so all the water will gather there,i`ll bet that if you lift the carpet up,all the sound proofing underneath will be wet too.

Thanks. Removing the glovebox sounds like the next step. Is it easy to do?

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:28 am

if i remember correct,it`s just held in with torx head screws,i think you have to remove the end panel from the dash (next to the door) to access some of them,but it is an easy job.
sorry i can`t be more specific but it`s a while since i did mine. getting old and having to fix it so many times is taking it`s toll :D

VROOM

Postby VROOM » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Well I finally got around to taking the glove box out. Everything was dry though. I noticed that where the bottom of the windscreen joins the bodywork (if you take the plastic scuttle trim off below the wipers) there is a channel for water to drain along. I'm wandering if the seal between this join has failed and the rain water is running down the windscreen into this channel and over a lip or something into the car behind the dash. Anyway, I've taped the join up with duct tape as a test to stop water flowing into this channel. I'll see if the car stays dry.

paratrend
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.4 2003

Postby paratrend » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi, I bought a 2003 megane 1.4 this august and the next morning the battery was dead, I changed the battery and checked the alternator, was fine.
The car started, but when you turn engine off the fuel pump would keep running and flatten the battery again.

I googled "megane" and found problems with water ingress in the fuse/control box, I replaced this with a secondhand one and my problems were gone, car would start every time until now.

The car does not recognise the keycard and/or will not deactivate the immobiliser, suspected the keycards need recoding, phoned local renault dealer and they said the fusebox will have water ingress again!
They were right!

So tonight I took apart my origional fusebox and cleaned away any "battery acid" like deposits with a new toothbrush and some IPA (isopropal alcohol available from any chemist). Also there was a "dry joint" on pin 3 of connector PPH1 GREY which had burnt away some of the plastic socket and corroded the pin, I used a hot soldering iron (450 degrees) to remove connector as its a multilayer pcb and replaced the pin, I also cut away any burnt part on plastic connector as this would be carbonised and conduct electricty.

Tomorrow I take the bus 20 miles to work and hope I've fixed it!!

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:33 pm

But have you stopped the water? Is the cover missing to the bulb access in the front n/s wheel arch, for example?

paratrend
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.4 2003

Postby paratrend » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:32 pm

I changed the fusebox and the car started first go!!!!
The box I removed has lots of water ingress and there was water on the top cover, seems to be coming from the underside of the bonnet. I will work on covering/sealing the complete box this weekend and put to bed forever.
Cheers Toodeep I will check tomorrow.

VROOM

Postby VROOM » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 pm

VROOM wrote:Well I finally got around to taking the glove box out. Everything was dry though. I noticed that where the bottom of the windscreen joins the bodywork (if you take the plastic scuttle trim off below the wipers) there is a channel for water to drain along. I'm wandering if the seal between this join has failed and the rain water is running down the windscreen into this channel and over a lip or something into the car behind the dash. Anyway, I've taped the join up with duct tape as a test to stop water flowing into this channel. I'll see if the car stays dry.

Well so far the floor has stayed dry. Looks like the duct tape has saved the day!

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am

The well below the windscreen (where the wiper motor is located) sometimes fills with water as the drain holes get blocked up with leaves and debris. Elsewhere you will read that someone had this problem which revealed itself to devastating effect when he parked on a tilt with the driver side higher than the passenger side. The collected water drained into his electrics. If the drain holes are not submerged in all this rain, see if you can see enough to poke them clear with a wire coat hanger or something.

wglindsay
Currently Drives:: Megane11 1.9DCI

Postby wglindsay » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 pm

I had a similar problem and once I had unblocked the drain pipes(2) I have had no further problem.

halikuszion
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane Dynamic 1.4 16v

Postby halikuszion » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi guys,

Does anyone have pictures of where the drains are, I think I have found the passenger side drain but I'm yet to find the driver side.

Is it under the plastic panel that cover the wiper motor?

lefterd
Currently Drives:: Megane II expression

Re:

Postby lefterd » Tue May 25, 2010 7:52 pm

onlydiesels wrote:well i`ve put it all back together and it seems (touch wood) to have been a success up to yet,so i would advise any one on here who has any concerns regarding this or any electrical/spooky goings on to either check this unit yourself or get it checked before it`s too far gone.mine looked absolutely dry until i removed and inspected it. it may or may not be a common problem,but it must be worth checking,especially for us that have no warranty!

now for the next bit, i`m still getting water ingress into the n/s/f footwell and on closer inspection it seems that the wetness is as high up as the dash/roof pillar area but unfortunately i can`t see any more now unlees i remove the dash :( ,but before i start that, i was thinking maybe the sunroof drain pipe may be at fault but i can only presume that they run down the inside of the roof pillars cos i can`t see anything pipelike when i open the sunroof,so can anyone tell me if they`ve had any experience of this,ie what i need to remove to locate the pipe (it may be worth checking these before i needlessly start pulling the dash out.

On Megane 1 I had the same problem.If assuming that on megane 2 is the same principle: the drain pipes from the sunroof go down through the door pillar and end behind the wheel arch.at the end they have a rubber valve which slows down the water flow.With time these valves ware out and stick to the end of the pipe which causes blockage.Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to remove wheel arch on megane 2.On megane 1 all you have to do was to remove some visible plastic screws, take the wheel arch cover off, and you could see the end of the drain pipe.

AussieMeg
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane II Dynamique LX

Postby AussieMeg » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Sorry to resurrect this post, I'm assuming folks have worked out the source of the water intrusion - my thoughts are that if the bulkhead plenum chamber drains are clean then the next place to look is the airconditioner condensation drain. Hard to get to, but I have cleared mine a few times by removing the centre console cover panel (clips off, on the drivers side - assuming right hand drive)

If the drain is blocked, it's likely the insulation material under the heater unit will be damp. Drain pipe runs through this insulation material and underneath the car. I've found I can squeeze my fingers under the heater unit and squeeze the pipe (Very tight fit) - this will generally clear the debris and you should hear/see the water flow out from under the car. While you're there, remove the pollen filter and give it a clean as well (mine often has leaves etc. stuck in it.) - Pollen filter slides out vertically right up by the firewall, drivers side.

Next time I'm doing it, I'll take a couple of pictures!

campbell121
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5DCi 03

Re: Electrical Fault, Car wont start Lights (wipers come on)

Postby campbell121 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:38 pm

onlydiesels wrote:THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!same thing happened again tonight,only this time it did`nt get me home :curse. had to disconnect the battery until the aa came out (within the hour)then lo and behold it started and drove as normal :oops:
i spoke to a well known diag. bloke who i know and he (and somebody else as well) told me that i should remove the upc (or is it the uch) from next to the battery,take it indoors and remove the covers to check for water ingress. so that`s what i did,and..........BINGO. not a lot of the stuff,but any is obviously too much! one of these blokes told me that he had successfully dried out one of these previously and had had no further probs. now obviously this depends on the amount of ingress/damage,but it`s got to be worth a go has`nt it? so that`s what i`m doing at the moment,but you can`t dry it too fast with direct heat (can damage the chip/processors), and you can`t dry it too slow because that could cause oxidisation(if it`s not already there). it was really easy to remove+split apart,now i`ve got it drying out nicely (i hope),and will get a good quality electrical cleaner(servisol) tomorrow and give it a good clean using a toothbrush.
if it comes to having to buy a new unit,then that`s what i`ll have to do,but at least i`ll know i`ve tried to fix it,and it may work for someone else on here if theirs is`nt too far gone!
ps said bloke can even prog new one for me so at least i`ll save a bit on dealer price if i do have to buy a new one.
will let you all know how it goes in case anyone else wants to give it a go before they go giving ££££££s to dick turpin dealer. oops,sorry,at least mr turpin wore a mask when he robbed you :lol:

THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!! I too had the same issue so I unplugged all the connectors from the Box directly to the right of the Battery which has a pretty crap cover which easily lets moisture in and took the unit indoors to dry it out.
When I shook it upside down water splashed out and one of the connectors was corroded. I wire brushed the connector and blew all the water out drying it fully with tissue and to be sure a hairdryer. I sprayed the contacts in the socket and the connector with Maplin's contact cleaner spray. Once it was all dry I put it back together, be careful not to bend any pins when you re-plug the connectors. The car now starts fine again (but) I am thinking how to prevent water getting back in. The gutter below the windscreen on the battery side ends right by the box so Renault have made an obvious mistake. I will cut some more of the rubber off a car from the breakers and silicone it in place to damn this section from letting water past. Also where the bonnet meets the wing on the battery side I will use rubber draft sealer to prevent water blowing in. Try and do it yourself first as I have saved a lot of money as I have only bought a tin of 'Contact cleaner spray' and a mini Suede wire brush from Wilkinsons 77p (Not a toothbrush!).

Charliex
Currently Drives:: 2003 1.6 16v VVT Megane

Postby Charliex » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Sorry to bring this thread back too life but i think i have the same problem. The only issue is i dont have a sunroof. Is there a how to guide on this? Thanks

Return to “Problems / Questions”