poor headlights

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mattybloke

poor headlights

Postby mattybloke » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:19 am

ok , a couple of questions regarding headlights , i have search and found out a far bit but just want to clarify a couple of things ...

my megane is a aug 2006 1.5dci expression sports tourer and the headlights are terrible on dipped beam.

it has the round projector type headlight , do i pressume these are normal hologen or xenon ?

the round dome type projector lamp lense is cloudy , should it be clear ?

there is no movement in the lights when i turn them on so no auto adjusting like most xenon lights ?

and on dipped beam both lights work but only point about 6 foot in front of the car ?

any suggestions ?

i do apoloigise if this is covering old ground for some of you , but i am quite pleased with the car apart from the headlights , so i would like to get it sorted.

thanks in advance.

vVv Touring
Currently Drives:: 2007, Renault Megane, 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Re: poor headlights

Postby vVv Touring » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 am

1. xenon bulbs are fitted
2. these are generally 'cloudy'
3. auto adjustment isnt standard on lower spec cars
4. this is about normal, try getting some +50% bulbs, that will make a difference.

there is a step-by-step guide on bulb changing on the website.

gav1pam
Pass Plus

Postby gav1pam » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:35 am

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Can you adjust the beam from the adjuster inside the car next to the steering wheel? If so then they're halogen bulbs. If there is no wheel next to the dimmer one, then they're xenon. I assume your Megane is the facelift one with the 'projector' style bulbs..
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

mattybloke

Postby mattybloke » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Yes I have the facelift and projector style headlight , and there is an adjuster for the height , this was set to the highest level , but still the headlights arnt good.

I will get them adjusted and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:42 pm

I honestly doubt you have Xenons, with the ones on my Wifes car its like driving during the day up to mid way up the windscreen. Having said that I've never found the lights on my Megane or Scenic to be bad but my eyes do seem to adjust to the darkness very quickly so I'd probably be happy with candles strapped to the front.

The easiest well to tell on UK cars (non Renault sport) is if you have head light washers, if so, chances are you have Xenons.

mattybloke

Postby mattybloke » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:06 pm

yep ... agree they are not xenons , but halogens behind a projector type round lense.

they work but are rubbish , i will get them adjusted and see what happens,

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Naa just change the bulbs. Philips do an excellent Extreme Vision bulb thats well reviewed across the entire globe.

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:29 am

The bulbs may well be incorectly seated. If this is the case there will be a shallow 'V' to the beam pattern. Correctly seated and the beam will be like: '\_'
I found it a pain to get them seated correctly, but it's possible and makes a huge difference. Keep trying to do it and they will go in properly!
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Return to “Problems / Questions”