Possible Water Pump/Alternater replacement

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Possible Water Pump/Alternater replacement

Postby bullfrog » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:54 am

Took my DCI 120 for a full major service and cambelt (done 72k) 4 weeks ago.

Since thats been done, a funny noise has appeared. Like a wurring from engine area so took it back to the dealer and they say it could be the water pump or the alternator because of the new cambelt being tighter. I asked how much to replace if this is the case and they said about £500+VAT for either one!!!!!!!!

Already spent about £600 with them last month, and a friend has said that they should have checked these when the cambelt was done, so what can I do???

Don't fancy spending this out on Meg, especially when I'm going on holiday next week!
:cry:

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:35 pm

if the noise was`nt there before, more likely to be the water pump than the alternator cos the water pump is driven by the timing belt,the alternator is driven by the multi v belt (the one you can see!)which just goes back together as before ( ie pre t/belt change).i take it they`ve fitted a timing belt kit (which includes tensioner/pulley)which would rule out the tensioner/pulley?
common sense should have told them to check/change the water pump whilst the timing belt was off,(which is what i did) as a new belt is only as good as the components that it runs on!
maybe the timing belt could be too tight,which would give a whirring noise when revved,and also putting more stress on a slightly noisy water pump.
hope this makes sense.

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:20 am

Also,but dont quote me on this as I'm not totally familiar with the megane aux belt layout, It should be possible to remove the aux belt then run the engine as this only drives the aircon and alternator. If the noise is still there, well.
I've never come across a manufacturer that doesnt recomend changing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt, absolute false economy whichever way you look at it.

But as already said a new timing belt often sounds different, makes a kind of a whirring sound, for a fair few thousand miles after fitting.

I'd check with the aux belt off first.
Cheers,
Bri.

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:36 pm

cheers for the advise/comments guys.

They said the cam would've been done as a kit (tensioner/pulley).

I've already done a few thousand miles in the last 4 weeks, so we'll see what it is in the next day or 2 as I'm dropping it off with the dealer tomorrow and they're going to let me know asap. If it is the water pump, they all ready said it wasn't checked/changed when the cam was done! Think they might have been trying to get it done in a rush. Report back soon.

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:42 am

Just spoke to Customer services and guess what......as you said, the water pump is leaking and prone to go so needs replacing AND they say i'll need a new cambelt too.....all for £630+VAT! Their having a giraffe aren't they!!

NOT VERY PLEASED and waiting to see what they are going to do about it! Even though i had a new cambelt fitted 3 weeks ago, there's no warranty on it or guarantee! THE DAMN CHEEK!!!!!

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:12 pm

UPDATE:
I've had the car back for a little over 2 weeks now, 1 week i was away so not been driven much since I had a new Cambelt and Water Pump (which have both been paid for, not by me) and now there's a louder wurring noise. I'm going to get it back into the dealer to check it out, but I wonder, as a friend of mine said, could it be the tensioners are too tight and causing the alternator to play up or maybe they're causing the water pump to play up again! One other thing is that I asked for a receipt/invoice for my records to say these had been done, this was 2 weeks ago and I've not seen anything! Getting frustrated now. :x

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:00 pm

I thought all work done by Renault had a warranty of 6 or 12 months??

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Bullfrog, I see that you are in Cheltenham. Which dealer did you use? presumably Hylton? I ask as I've been using Cooks in Bristol but as they have given such poor service recently I'm thinking of trying somewhere else and as I work in Cheltenham thought I'd give Hylton a go but if they are cr@p too then I'll have to think again!
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:49 pm

I've been told any work done isn't covered under any warranty if the car is out of warranty, so when I first had the cambelt done, then had to go back to have a water pump put on as well I would have to pay for another cambelt!!!!!

DaveP, I've had the work done at Bridges Newbury, as I work in Swindon and although I live in Cheltenham, I'm only there at the weekend so its easier for me, and the main company buys a few vans from them a year so thought i'd get a better deal. Don't know what Hylton are like, I've never used them. I might do in the future, though I have Fish Brothers in Swindon to use too, who are ok.

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:17 am

took the car into the dealers again and guess what? I need to pay out more!! They say it's the alternator this time (surprise f***ing surprise)
£325 please sir. Does this seem like I'm being fleeced or just having bad luck with the damn car??

Newcastlewatson
Currently Drives:: Mark 2 renault megane 1.9dci 120 bhp

Re:

Postby Newcastlewatson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:53 pm

bullfrog wrote:took the car into the dealers again and guess what? I need to pay out more!! They say it's the alternator this time (surprise f***ing surprise)
£325 please sir. Does this seem like I'm being fleeced or just having bad luck with the damn car??

If you ask me mate get the part number of the steeler find your self a second hand or new cheaper part and go to a mechanic in his garage and ask him to change them. as most mechanics don`t work with policy and crap like that they are humans so any thing wrong on their part, they will put it right for for little or nothing. I just had my tubo changed, if i went to the stealers £485.00+VAT I sorced a reconditioned turbo with a 12month warrenty for £270.00 thats with p+p and fitting cost me £100.00 altogether £370.00.

So my advice is stop using the stealers for parts for example rear brake discs from stealers £100+ each because they come with bearings, Ebay £70+ £10p+p for the set. Go to dealers ask them for the part number put it on a website and get a cheaper one orderd. If your cars outta warrenty, you don`t lose anything by doing this. you only have to use the steelers if your cars in warrenty so you don`t lose it.

ADVICE:But once its outta warrenty. Look else where.

adeathome31
Currently Drives:: megane estate 1500 Dynamyque DCI

Re: Possible Water Pump/Alternater replacement

Postby adeathome31 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:04 pm

had cambelt kit supplied and fitted at my local garage for 190 pounds.stuff the dealers.kit was £80 they said.megane 2004 1.5 dci.

Return to “Problems / Questions”