Driving with little person

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

wanda
F1 Driver

Driving with little person

Postby wanda » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:16 pm

We were blessed with a baby girl on Sunday last week. :D :D

Must say the Mrs had quite a time with the Labour 41 hours to be exact, so naturally she .... and me were both shattered afterwards.

Now our back windows are supper limo dark and you cant really see in which is great for baby. But of course people cant see that I am driving with a little person. With the little one I drive extra slow as I am now scarred of other motorists. Just yesterday we were driving on the M25 I left it on cruise on 55mph on the slow lane. Vans and other cars still get right on my bumper flashing and provoking me.

Is there no safer lane on the motorway? It did feel like I would be better off driving 80mph on the fast lane. Not that I would ever do that but how can one drive without people endangering your loved ones or am I asking too much?

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Re: Driving with little person

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:54 pm

41 hours?! ouch. But congrats!

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:07 pm

yeah I know, quite something but thanks

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:25 pm

Congratulations Wanda!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:01 pm

in addition, driving slow is almost as dangerous as driving fast. Americans have a minimum speed on some of their roads (the I/Interstate roads I think).
tbh, it kinda annoys me being stuck behind someone going below the speed limit on a motorway but as you're keeping in the left lane, doing the speeds LGV's do as well... i'd thought you'd be safe from other motorists. it's only when you'd be doing 55 in middle or outer lanes you should expect some grief

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Many thanks for that guys. I cant believe how protective I have become over my little girl.

I think you guys have a point driving 20 mph slower than the rest on the motorway is dangerous. I must say I always enjoyed driving between 65 and 70 on the motorway.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Wanda congratulations! 41 hours was quite something!

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 pm

I think driving at 70mph is extremely safe and the way the traffic flows on our motorways, 70mph still keeps you in the slow lane. The best thing you can do to keep safe is extend that distance between you and the car in front. If someone is up your arse also extend the gap in front and try and look in front of the cars in front of you, if they are up the arse of someone and have an accident a two second gap isn't gonna cut it so again extend the gap!

Its all about the gap! Or just get a big car and people get out of your way - its a totally different world driving.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 pm

BlueMeganeII wrote:I think driving at 70mph is extremely safe and the way the traffic flows on our motorways, 70mph still keeps you in the slow lane. The best thing you can do to keep safe is extend that distance between you and the car in front. If someone is up your arse also extend the gap in front and try and look in front of the cars in front of you, if they are up the arse of someone and have an accident a two second gap isn't gonna cut it so again extend the gap!

Its all about the gap! Or just get a big car and people get out of your way - its a totally different world driving.

Totally agree the annoying thing is you leave a nice gap and some d$%khead fills it, you drop back a bit more and someone else fills it :banghead

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 am

nickbell69 wrote:
BlueMeganeII wrote:I think driving at 70mph is extremely safe and the way the traffic flows on our motorways, 70mph still keeps you in the slow lane. The best thing you can do to keep safe is extend that distance between you and the car in front. If someone is up your arse also extend the gap in front and try and look in front of the cars in front of you, if they are up the arse of someone and have an accident a two second gap isn't gonna cut it so again extend the gap!

Totally agree the annoying thing is you leave a nice gap and some d$%khead fills it, you drop back a bit more and someone else fills it :banghead

I Totally agree :banghead

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:50 pm

BlueMeganeII wrote:Its all about the gap! Or just get a big car and people get out of your way - its a totally different world driving.

I recommend a 2.0 TDCI S-max. Though i did see someone cut up a range rover so they could make it onto the motorway slip road.

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 am

Congrats to you and Mrs Wanda...

Ray wrote:I recommend a 2.0 TDCI S-max.

They're nice, although the Megane makes it feel like you're driving a dining chair - a very wide dining chair!
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Ray wrote:I recommend a 2.0 TDCI S-max. Though i did see someone cut up a range rover so they could make it onto the motorway slip road.

That's one of my pet hates. What is it about the 2 mile, 1 mile, half a mile, quarter of a mile, 3 hundred, 2 hundred and 1 hundred markers don't these people understand?

Still we all have flaws. Towing the caravan on the motorway at a steady 80 isn't entirely sensible either...
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Everything Else”