Greased Lightning

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bowy
Currently Drives:: megane 1.4 16v

Greased Lightning

Postby bowy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi,
Have been watching Ideal World shopping channel & impressed by the demo's of Greased Lightning showroom Shine the waterless wash & wax spray. Before I buy just wondered if anyone has tried the product & if they would recommend. It seems good but it's not cheap but they state approx 12 car cleans per 1 litre bottle.
Cheers,
Bowy. :nut

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Re: Greased Lightning

Postby IainMW » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I've used it and it's not bad.

You won't do the whole car in 15 minutes at they like to point out so often, but the results are okay.

I would not like to tackle a really dirty car with it, and you need to use large thick microfibre cloth's as well, one to apply and clean and one to polish off.

It does leave the car very shiney and quite smooth as well, my only negative points are that if you leave it on the plastic trim a little too long it will stain it and you end up with white polish marks :( and your hands stink for a couple of days so use rubber gloves.

Try eBay you might find it cheaper there?

:cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 pm

That stuff i have read about and the reviews are mixed...

This is what i use for the monthly clean... (Each week its obviously lesser job)

Time taken four hours, every 4th sunday after church :-

Autobrite Coloured Snow foam
Neilsens APC
Autobrite Cherry Wheel cleaner (Non-Acidic)
Megs Nxt Gen Shampoo
Autosmart Tardis
Bilt Hamber Clay (soft)
Poorboys SSR2.5
3M Ultra Fina SE
3M Pads
Autobrite Cherry Glaze
Autobrite Crystal Glass cleaner
Dodo Juice Supernatural
Car Chem Northern Ireland Tyre gloss
Britemax Twins
Autoglym Super Sheen
Elite car care Interfresh (Lavender mmmmmm!)
Migloire Wheel seal
Migloire Endurence Detailer

The above makes for a clean car.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:04 pm

Jesus, what a list. I just pee on the dirty bits on mine when I've had a few beers. A full bladder will easily reach the roof - looks well enough. :D
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

bowy
Currently Drives:: megane 1.4 16v

Postby bowy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:38 pm

IainMW wrote:I've used it and it's not bad.

You won't do the whole car in 15 minutes at they like to point out so often, but the results are okay.

I would not like to tackle a really dirty car with it, and you need to use large thick microfibre cloth's as well, one to apply and clean and one to polish off.

It does leave the car very shiney and quite smooth as well, my only negative points are that if you leave it on the plastic trim a little too long it will stain it and you end up with white polish marks :( and your hands stink for a couple of days so use rubber gloves.

Cheers iainMW,
Found a site called Netparts & they sell 'Proshine' & it's exactly the same as showroom shine & a hell of a lot cheaper so have ordered a litre, thing is the micro fibre cloths cost a fortune. So i'll give it a try & fingers crossed. ;)

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 pm

davelowe wrote:Jesus, what a list. I just pee on the dirty bits on mine when I've had a few beers. A full bladder will easily reach the roof - looks well enough. :D

lol, With the time spent she’s cleaner than the day she left the factory. Inside, outside under the bonnet and underneath. Not a speck of dirt, oil or tar to be found.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:04 pm

Twas but a joke... I'm not a detailer but I wash it each week. About once a month I go over the entire body with clay. Anything really stubborn gets a tiny dab of T-Cut - all panels feel silky smooth following that and Autoglym polish and a Meguires wax. I find that the drivers side lower panels and the boot suffer the worst and need the most attention. I use some weird potion on the wheels (standard alloys) - usually with them removed, they shine up nice. The rubber bits and bobs get some chemical applied too. The same regime is applied my old V reg Almera that I sold to my parents. It still looks okay too minus the scuff marks that mater manages to incur with her 'parallel parking'.... :)
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:41 am

bowy wrote:
IainMW wrote:I've used it and it's not bad.

Cheers iainMW,
Found a site called Netparts & they sell 'Proshine' & it's exactly the same as showroom shine & a hell of a lot cheaper so have ordered a litre, thing is the micro fibre cloths cost a fortune. So i'll give it a try & fingers crossed. ;)

Try the discount stores like Home Bargins, B&M Bargins, Poundland etc... for your Microfibre cloths you can usually find them there. Small ones will do the job just as well but you will need to put 2 together to give you a big pad.

2 tips,
DON'T be tempted to do more than one panel at a time, you will regret it if you do :lol:
It splatters quite a lot when you spray it so be careful!

The results won't be as good as a full vallet but you might be surprised?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Everything Else”