Spare Wheel In Sports Tourer

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

assettt
Currently Drives:: 2004 1.6 16Vi Privilege Sports Tourer

Spare Wheel In Sports Tourer

Postby assettt » Sun May 16, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm new in the ownership of a megane sports tourer and just seen I don't have a spare wheel/tyre but some sort of tyre repair kit. I've never had a car without a spare tyre and was just wondering if I could just buy some tyres off ebay as a spare and will it fit the space in the boot. If I could what size should the spare be, since currently have 17" nevas.... alloys with some expensive tyres on.

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Re: Spare Wheel In Sports Tourer

Postby Gav » Tue May 18, 2010 11:42 am

Mine came with a 16" steel spare in the boot with the same 205/55R16 as the rest of the car. Perhaps the 17" tyres are too large for the hole???
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue May 18, 2010 2:26 pm

With a lot of cars these days you have the option to have full size spare, space saver spare or tyre repair kit. I guess it's to appease the green lobby as no spare means less weight means lower emissions but then I'd still rather have a full size pare and stick 2 fingers up at the lobbyists.

You could always measure the wheel well and compare it to the wheels and tyres that you have fitted then buy a steel of the same size. If it won't fit you could look for a space saver on e-bay if that would sit in there at an angle.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Tue May 18, 2010 6:50 pm

Many cars have reinforced tyres, all of the Grand Scenic range does for example so damage beyond what the foam can repair is very rare indeed but it does happen. Its pros and cons of course.

Return to “Everything Else”