Dephaser Pulley - Renaults Response and need help to claim.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ebeneezer
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Dynamique 16V

Dephaser Pulley - Renaults Response and need help to claim.

Postby ebeneezer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Strange question time.... the good ol dephaser pulley - what can it be classed as when trying to claim on a standard 30 day used car warranty? It mentions valve springs, valve guides.... does anyone know what it is connected to in the engine? I have 15 days in which to claim

Its started making a grinding noise on cold starts and is extremely sluggish. I got an email response from Renault about the pulley (11 days after I sent it to head office). Because they manufacture cars to a high standard and the dephaser pulley is NOT a known problem they say they cannot help and gave me the contact number of my local stealership to let one of their mechanics loose on it :cry . My car is 05 plate 1.6 VVT 48k miles. They say as their 3 year 60k miles warranty ran out 2 years ago then not their problem. Nice one Renault - I thought the dephaser problem affected 2002-2006 models and was a known problem hence the alteration to post 2006 models.

Any comments greatfully received. :cool:

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Dephaser Pulley - Renaults Response and need help to claim.

Postby AlexB » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:23 pm

If this problem started straight away upon the purchase AND you can prove it, then use the Sales and Services Act...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Postby chevin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 am

Ebby,

Had a depahser failure at 40 months/26 k miles on an Nov 2003 car - Renault UK declined to help. Just sold the car and I decline to enter any further purchases of Renault cars....

Depends what you want to do. To get it fixed - dealers are obliged to sell cars of a "merchantable quality" - so any thing that fails in a reasonable time has to be fixed - its then an arguement of whats "reasonable". Anything in the first month is clearly unreasonable and should be easily fixed.

If you want to reject the car you may have to provde its not up to standard as above and request your money back - it may be you return it and give them 30 days to fix it, notice in writing (and to your satisfaction) and if they can't - you can reject.

Good luck !

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 pm

Thats what gets me, dephaser pulleys failing fine - it happens, I'll pay up and sort it. To know that the design was changed to prevent it acknowledges an issue so why should I have to sort it? 2003 cars don't have that part inspected until the 72k service I believe, newer phase 2 are down for far sooner (as little as 4-5 years can't remember exactly) so they clearly acknowledge the problem. Its not just Renault thats like this, its most European/American car manufactures.

ebeneezer
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Dynamique 16V

Postby ebeneezer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Cheers guys for your thoughts. Renaults response was unbelievable. To change the design as you say shows there was a problem hence the countless probs on this forum. I like a challenge and will not let this lay. I will let you know how I get on.

Return to “Problems / Questions”