Engine power?

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Starman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Proton 1.6 Lxi Wira

Engine power?

Postby Starman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 am

Hi all.
It's been a long time! How do I find out what power my 1.5dci has? :banghead Seems it could be anything from 80 to 106 bhp :conf I am thinking of getting one of those tuning boxes, or something similar. Not knowing what original power I have makes the decision a little more difficult!

It's an 06 hatch, I think Dynamiqué (?)

Cheers all..

J.
:cool:

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Re: Engine power?

Postby IainMW » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Open the drivers door and look at the sticker on the pillar. This will tell you what bhp your engine is?

Is it a phase 3 06 or one of the last phase 2 models?

Up to the final face lift on the Megane II's the 1.5's came with 80 and 100 bhp, after the face lift the engines became Euro IV compliant and power was raised to 86 and 106 respectively and the 106 also gained a 6 speed box.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

steve-t
Advanced Driver

Postby steve-t » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Or look in the log book it'll tell you there
Steve

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi Guys.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a look. It is a face lift model (different lights, dash clocks swapped places, etc).

Thanks again..

J.

:D

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:08 am

It was indeed in the door pillar, thank you. I have a DCI 86!

Now then.... Does anyone have any experience of these plug in chip boxes? :conf Are they all they're cracked up to be? A company called Drake Tuning in Italy claim to be able to get the 86 horse up to 123!? :shock: I have asked them to send me some record of that, though I am not holding my breath! This is what I'm thinking of getting...

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Any feedback, knowledge, etc would be appreciated, thank you..

I figured if I have a K&N, something done with the zorst, and this box... Theory says at least 120???? :rock

Over to you guys agin please... Thanks again.. :cool:

J.

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm

There are some threads around from a while back, probably in "mods".

If you do add a box, then your insurance company need to know.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:59 am

Starman wrote:It was indeed in the door pillar, thank you. I have a DCI 86!

Now then.... Does anyone have any experience of these plug in chip boxes? :conf Are they all they're cracked up to be? A company called Drake Tuning in Italy claim to be able to get the 86 horse up to 123!? :shock: I have asked them to send me some record of that, though I am not holding my breath! This is what I'm thinking of getting...

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Any feedback, knowledge, etc would be appreciated, thank you..

I figured if I have a K&N, something done with the zorst, and this box... Theory says at least 120???? :rock

Over to you guys agin please... Thanks again.. :cool:

J.

I would be amazed if they could get it to 123bhp by just fitting the box? (Even after a free flow filter and exhaust)

I would think a more realistic figure would be 100 -105bhp and an increase of about 30lbft of torque as well.

I have a King Quick module on my Laguna 2.0dCi 150 and also on the Wife's Clio 1.5dCi 86 (same engine as yours) and they do make a difference to performance and economy.
https://www.kingquick.co.uk/

You could always have a re-map done and it should be slightly more effective, this will give you more power than a box as it's specific to your engine and a remap of the existing engine map.

Do your research well, before you choose. :cool:
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi Iain.

Thanks for that. :cool: The decission is getting more difficult every day! I'm on a budget unfortunately, so have to be a little careful all round! So many boxes to choose from, or a re-map?? I'm not planning on selling the car any time soon, so maybe a re-map. But they are so expensive! Good god.... How hard can it be???? :banghead
What I'd love to do, and I am asking questions of a few places, is do a full report on before, during and after to be able to give people some "real" information. I know it might cost a few quid, especially dyno time, but might be worth it in the long run! I just don't know...
What I don't particularly want to do is throw a load of money at it and either A. Screw it up, or B. Not gain much benefit from it!
I might pay a visit to my local Mr Tyre at the weekend. They are my local Powerflow dealer. I got a back box for my last car there. Good service and changed the car!
Bloody hell... My head's going to explode in a min... LOL.. WHAT TO DO...... :eek

Cheers..

J.

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:16 pm

I've done it now... :shock:

I've actually ordered this Drake Tuning box. I'm expecting it by Tuesday 23rd, all being well!

Still trying to find a dyno local to Boston, Lincs, if anyone knows... PLEASE... LOL...

Keep watching this space...

J.

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Tuesday been and gone... No box as yet! I'll do some local hunting around for a rolling road.

I Emailed John Sleath, nothing... :banghead

I have a couple of other options to check out and I have the rest of the week off, so hopefully....

Keep watching...

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Ok guys and girls...

1. Found somewhere local for dyno tests. £47 a go, :D so won't break the bank! Seems like a nice enough place and seems to know their stuff. Just got to wait now for the box to arrive.

One thing that does worry me slightly... The guy in the tuning shop kept refering to these tuning boxes as "smoke boxes"... He said that they USED to fit them, :? but have decided to do their own custom remaps... Something in that??? Who knows... :conf

Does anyone who has had these "tuning boxes" had any experience of them creating excess smoke??? He also said that "some" of them can bring on the engine management light and that the cars can eventually "reject" the box??? :shock:

2. Please, feel free to post your experiences, knowledge, recommendations, etc... :grin

Thanks all... :cool:

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 pm

You will get smoke depending on the setting on the box.

The way the box works is that it causes slightly more fuel to be injected into the engine, thus more power. If you overfuel any engine, petrol or Diesel it will become smokey. The economy improvement from having a remap or fitting a box comes about because you are not having to work the engine as hard to achieve the same performance and you can use higher gears at lower engine speeds, rather than fishing through the box because of the extra torque.

I have not noticed any extra smoke on mine or the wifes Clio after fitting the box. I have discovered that once fitted they do not like BP Diesel? Sounds strange but it's true. (tend to stick with Shell or Total)

I have fiddled about with the settings on both of them and now have them at what I consider to be optimum for performance and economy. In the process of experimenting with the settings I have turned them up to where performance becomes tyre shredding :devil but the engines were uneven and had misfires when accelerating in lower gears.

Before you splash out on a dyno test, see how you get on?

One word of advice, you must make sure that you do not have the cars ignition on when fitting the box. If you have hands free, open the car and bonnet and then let the car lock itself and don't touch it for a couple of minutes, make sure the keycard is well away from the car. (Advice on the fitting instuctions for my Kingquick Module)

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Cheers for that again Iain. Here we are on Saturday evening, still no bloody box to get going! :banghead I have been on to supplier. They have sent me a tracking ref. The last thing it says on there is that it's left France! It left on Friday, apparently. Maybe it's floating around the North Sea.... Who knows, and who cares!? I have sent the carrier 3 Emails and received nothing back, surprise surprise... In broken English, I think, the supplier is saying give a few more days and if it hasn't shown up by then, contact them again and they'll do something about it! What, I'm not entirely sure, apart from send another one!

Keep watching guys, this WILL happen....

J.

Starman
Learner Driver

Postby Starman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:02 pm

FINALLY, the box arrived today! :) Next step, book the dyno for the standard run. 8) Can you believe they don't open on a Sat? Like a lot of places, I think they'd do a LOT of business on a Sat. Because of that, I have to take a whole day off work to get this done. Yes, I know they are entitled to time off too, but surely something could be arranged??? :banghead

Anyway, I digress.... For those of you that have no experience of these tuning boxes, here goes... :arrow:

This particular one has 10 "maps", apparently! What it says you have to do is, start at setting 5 and test the engine. To do this, you have to find a hill and go up it, in 3rd, to aronud 4500rpm. If the engine pulls strongly, turn it up a notch each time until it runs bad, then turn it back down one notch. Sounds logical (captain) but a little awkward when you live in flatsville, Lincs! :?

I must remember to put my K&N in before I do that too. No good setting it up with a standard filter if you're going to change it anyway! Any useful tips on how to change my filter greatly appreciated.... :cool:

I suppose I could do this before the dyno, then all I'd have to do is plug it in and program the right number in on dyno day. get it all done in one day then, is a plan!

I'm sorry if you think I'm babbling on about this. Just seeing it as an excersize in what people can expect in "real money" with one of these things...

Until next time.....

:rock

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm

I await the results. My money is that when you get to 8 or 9, you'll get the MIL light on and probably a 3k rev limit. Do you have an ELM327?
Good luck!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Everything Else”