engine mgmt light and service light on

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

markren2004
Advanced Driver

engine mgmt light and service light on

Postby markren2004 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:34 pm

The engine mgmt light and service light came on today...the car is actually starting and running fine..with no obvious problems.
Car is a 2004 1.6vvt
Without doing a diaognistic check, does anyone know which sensor is the most likley to be causing the issue ?

I'd rather change a £20 part than spend £100 hooking it up to a computer(to tell me a need a £20 part)

thanks in advance.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Re: engine mgmt light and service light on

Postby markren2004 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:49 pm

managed to find a mate with a code reader..it's showing cam position sensor error, which is a easy sensor to replace...
he says it will need to be hooked up to the code reader when a new sensor is in, to turn the engine mgmt light off.
will update again in a couple of days when hopefully all sorted.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:31 pm

well it's all sorted with a new cam sensor (£35).
what is interesting is that initially the dash light stayed on, but after a couple of days and approx 10 journeys the light was out without the need to reset the computer using the fault reader :)

for those with a similar issue...it is a easy part to change..i did have to remove the 4th pencil coil (passenger side end) to get better access to unbolt the sensor, but all you need is a 10mm socket. i think it was only a 5min job.
incidently the new sensor (from main dealer) didn't come with the rubber washer that fits on the sensor collar, so had to use the one from the old sensor.

fergie

Postby fergie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm

the same fualt lights came up on my dash on 01/06/08 it sounds like i have the same problem as you had, car runs fine. i am just waiting on my brother to speak to his mate ( technician with Parks renault ) to get it on the computer to find the exact fault. i have spoken to my friendly renault part man and he said it could be the crank sensor or the cam sensor. worst case it will be £50 for the crank sensor, alittle harder to fit but my brother is a mechanic so should be no problem to fit. i will post how i get on.

fergie

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:56 pm

a failed crank sensor tend to show more issues...poor starting..or stalling, so if you not noticing any difference with the car then it's likely the cam sensor.
are you gettng the diagnostic for free ? if not would be cheaper just to replace both sensors anyway, starting with the cam as thats most likely.

fergie

Postby fergie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:41 pm

yes i am getting the diagnostics for free, i hope it is only the cam position sensor as this sounds the easier to replace and it is cheaper £35 where as the crank sensor is £24 but as renault have modified them i will need a new wireing plug at the cost of £25, so £50. still not too bad. my brother is going to be fitting it so should save a few pounds on garage labour costs.
will know tomorrow what is wrong.

fergie

Swain-EEE
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Oasis 1.6 16 valve

Postby Swain-EEE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:08 am

Hi all, new to this site so bear with me.

Have the same light you guys are describing with no obvouis problems with the car, starts fine runs fine. Is there a chance of causing any damage to the car while this light is on? only got to get to work somehow until I can get it fixed which hopefully will be in the next day or 2.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 am

Swain-EEE wrote:Hi all, new to this site so bear with me.

Have the same light you guys are describing with no obvouis problems with the car, starts fine runs fine. Is there a chance of causing any damage to the car while this light is on? only got to get to work somehow until I can get it fixed which hopefully will be in the next day or 2.

general rule is if the light is orange/yellow and has the "service" light on it is ok to drive, it is just a warning, but needs to be looked at fairly soon. id expect it at least to be drinking more petrol.
if the "stop" light is on then do not drive the car.

Liggy
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Black 2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege

Postby Liggy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:19 pm

My car has this problem as well. The management light will stay on for a number of journeys, then go off for a number of journeys, and so on, so forth. The car seems to be running absolutely fine. If it's cold, it sometimes can be a bit rough when starting, and can give off a bit more smoke at the initial start-up than usual, but I'm told that's normal for a diesel car. Would it be possible my car has a cam sensor fault as well?
2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege 1.9DCI.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Liggy wrote:My car has this problem as well. The management light will stay on for a number of journeys, then go off for a number of journeys, and so on, so forth. The car seems to be running absolutely fine. If it's cold, it sometimes can be a bit rough when starting, and can give off a bit more smoke at the initial start-up than usual, but I'm told that's normal for a diesel car. Would it be possible my car has a cam sensor fault as well?

rather than guessing it would be best to read the codes from the car's cpu. if your in the AA / RAC they will do this and tell you exactly which component is causing your issue. the codes will be stored even if the light is out.
as yours seems to be intermittent it might just need the sensor or connector cleaning.

Swain-EEE

Postby Swain-EEE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm

thanks for the swift answer, certainly put my mind at rest. Ironic as well as I just joined the AA this morning. Waiting for the dealer to get back to me as I type this. Once again thanks for the advice

Swain-EEE

Postby Swain-EEE » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Good News and what I'm hoping might be some thing for you all to think about,

Got the AA to come out to my car this morning, the chap linked up to the diagnostic computer and found that the sensor had registered high C02 levels in the CAT. He reset the system for me, the lights gone out the car still running beautifully.

Here's the thing tho before you go changing anything. The guy from the AA told me that quite often your car might for some reason get a CO2 'blip' which will trigger off the warning light but it may just be that, a blip. he checked the CO2 levels while the car was running and he told me that they where better than good. His other peice of advice was that more often than not this sensor doesn't need changing, and more likely to be just an odd reading you get and it's just a case of reseting everything, so if you your light does come on, and as was said in an earlier post it's Orange then you should be ok to drive to where you need to be, but more importantly, don't panic like I did, cos all I saw where £ signs. It's probably nothing (not to say it won't be nothing)

Give the nice people from the AA/RAC or whoever you use and then worry :wink:

ranchers

Postby ranchers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:16 am

anyone please help me in changing the camshaft sensor

thread is viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15604

serge
Currently Drives:: MEGANE DCI 1.9 DYMANIQUE

Postby serge » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 am

Can someone please advise where the ECM socket is on a 2004 dci 1.9?

arran.vigar
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 03

Postby arran.vigar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi I don't suppose you know what the code was I have the same issue and it seems to be running fine.

Regards,
Arran

Return to “Problems / Questions”