How Long To Change EGR Valve?

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

DekHog
Currently Drives:: 05' Megane 1.9dci

How Long To Change EGR Valve?

Postby DekHog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Would I be wrong in thinking it should take less than an hour to change out the EGR valve on a Megane 1.9dci?

The car has been in "limp home mode" for a couple of days and showing 'check injection' and 'toxic fume filter' errors - a friend took out the EGR valve and cleaned it, but it was still the same upon replacing it. He still thought it was the EGR valve that was knackered, but said best put it to the dealers to find out the fault 100%.

Put it into Arnold Clark this morning (robbing b'stards - £65ph + VAT!!) - they called and said the EGR was goosed and stuck in the manifold and that it would cost £370 to fix it, and would I like the brakes and air con done while they were at it! Eh, are they kidding me? No, I said I'd just pick it up as it was as I could get the valve and labour much cheaper - goes all the way to the garage only to be told, sorry, it's not going now, you can't drive it anywhere without replacing the valve first!!

Then it went something like...

OK, so if i supply the part, how much for labour....
Well, it would be two hours at £65 + VAT...
How much do you want for the EGR valve?...
Erm, £305 + VAT...
You called me 30 mins ago and quoted £370 all in... take away the valve price and that's one hours labour; where'd the two hours come from?
Erm, the technician...
So he's changed his mind in the last 30 mins about how long it would take? If your techs take 2 hours to change that they all need sacking, honestly.
Erm, erm, sorry that's what it is.
Can i see the service manager please?
Sorry, he's out at the moment...
What, servicing onsite now, is he? Isn't he supposed to be here at all times?
Sorry, there's nothing I can do.
OK, I'll be back later with a tow rope and a friend - can I have my keys now, thanks.

So to make a short story long, how long should it actually take to change the EGR valve and reset the fault codes?

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Re: How Long To Change EGR Valve?

Postby dougieCC » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:49 pm

EGR valve costs about £150- £180...no more, and the agrage took less than 2 hrs. The garage had it all day just to keep checking it. we got charged £220 all in.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

DekHog

Postby DekHog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:56 pm

dougieCC wrote:EGR valve costs about £150- £180...no more

Yup, I can get a brand new original Renault item for £83, but wanted to know how long it should take to actually change it out from start to finish? I'm no mechanic, but to the best of my knowledge it's about four bolts and an electrical connection....

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Postby dougieCC » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:16 pm

Looking at reciept got charged an hour labour.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

DekHog

Postby DekHog » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 pm

dougieCC wrote:Looking at reciept got charged an hour labour.

I thought as much, thanks for your help...

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm still wondering how I, or any mechanic, could get the damned valve out of the manifold since some hapless sod broke the solenoid off it. I'm left with a thin metal flange and no ideas. £150 to get the funking thing out would be value for money!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

A13XDT
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 54 Plate Megane Dci 86 Rush - Platinum Silver

Postby A13XDT » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 am

My car flashed up with a warning, Diagnostics proved it required a new EGR valve. I had it out, cleaned and back in within an hour. Hell of a job to wedge it out with a huge flathead screwdriver though. Cleaned it by dousing it in brake cleaner and scrubbing it inside and out.

Alex

DekHog

Postby DekHog » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:40 pm

It turns out it wouldn't start because the idiots at Arnold Clark managed to break the EGR valve, and a bit is now stuck in the manifold - after much arguments, I paid them nothing and towed it away from their rotten, overpriced workshop.

New valve arrived this morning - fantastic service from worldcarparts.co.uk - ordered at 2.00pm yesterday and arrived at 8,00am this morning for the total price of £109. A friend coming around tomorrow to sort out Arnold Clark's mess for me.

Couldn't get the original Renault part from the eBay seller as his fit all F9Q engine codes apart from F9Q800, which mine just happens to be - very nice of him to inform me of that when I sent him my reg No, and even supplied me with the correct Renault part No for my engine code - just my luck at the moment to have the one oddball engine No with a different EGR valve...

DekHog

Postby DekHog » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm

Well, after half an hour of work with a centre punch on a broken EGR valve flange and liberal amounts of WD40, it eventually came out - the relief that the flange never totally broke off meaning the manifold coming off was unbelievable!

The bad news is that it appears the EGR valve wasn't the problem!! Same fault codes showing as before... he's checked all the wiring, which turns out to be OK, so it's out with the ECU now to send it off to be tested... :cry

Return to “Parts and Accessories”