Emergency key please check before purchase

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

scoop
Advanced Driver

Emergency key please check before purchase

Postby scoop » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:41 pm

Just a small bit of advice to anyone buying secondhand meg or any renault with keycard. Make sure you test the emergency key on the passenger side to make sure it opens the door. I recently had to use this after a flat battery and never used it before untill then and it didnt work!!! had to call out the AA who were not impressed. He was on for over two hours trying to get in which he eventually did. Not tell you how he did it but lets say he enjoyed several cups of tea in the process!!! So be warned, check it before you buy.

Ray , Andy may be worth awarding me a sticky for this one (oh er mrs)
Kind Regards
Scoop

04 Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT 16V / Cherished plate / In Black 5 door / Lexus lights, Mint!!
"Shut Ya mouth and give Ya Arse a chance"!

rEvolution
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane 1.4 16V Exteme

Re: Emergency key please check before purchase

Postby rEvolution » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:41 pm

dont wannt to seem too n00bish, but dont think theres any non n00bish way to put it lol...but what are yu on about lol?? emergency key on passenger side???

A13XDT
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 54 Plate Megane Dci 86 Rush - Platinum Silver

Postby A13XDT » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Look on the passenger side door handle, on the right hand side of it, there is a clip on cover. It's essentially the only part of the door handle that doesnt move when you open the door. On the underside of this, there is a small rectangular hole.

Pull open your keycard, as if changing the battery, you will see the key, place the key in the hole on handle and pull away from the door. This exposes the only keyed lock on the car.

Alex

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:26 pm

someone didn't read their user manual ;-)

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Becareful though as the cap can be damaged quite easily and then they will fall off, [silly plastic tags break] simple reason why it is on the passenger side, the car was designed for lefthand drive roads the manual lock was not changed when ethe car was reconfigured for the UK market, there is also on the CC a manual lock on the boot lid it hides by the number plate lights.

jamesbest1974
Currently Drives:: megane

Postby jamesbest1974 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:42 am

scoop wrote:Just a small bit of advice to anyone buying secondhand meg or any renault with keycard. Make sure you test the emergency key on the passenger side to make sure it opens the door. I recently had to use this after a flat battery and never used it before untill then and it didnt work!!! had to call out the AA who were not impressed. He was on for over two hours trying to get in which he eventually did. Not tell you how he did it but lets say he enjoyed several cups of tea in the process!!! So be warned, check it before you buy.

Ray , Andy may be worth awarding me a sticky for this one (oh er mrs)

Thanks! I was looking for this information

James.

Cruiser Angel
Currently Drives:: Nissan Micra Covertible

Postby Cruiser Angel » Sun May 15, 2011 7:26 pm

:cool: I was wondering how this would work too, now I don't have to look like a 'girlie' and ask the salesperson :D

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 pm

The emergency key worded I see it is on the near side. In my megane 1 i have been using the "emergency" lock on the near side
since the drivers one broke 6 months ago -)

12noon
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 Authentique 2005

Postby 12noon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:44 am

Might sound a bit thick, but your keycard doesn't work, so you unlock the door with the emergency key. Then what ?
2005 Renault Megane Dynamique 1.6 16V (Manual / Petrol)

edward2
Learner Driver

Postby edward2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 am

Well if you have opted for manual seats and the optional ashtray then you can spark up a hamlet and have your self a rain proof smoking shelter. I suppose could always then get the battery changed and use the car as a car again depending on personal preference.

I have never tested my key I suppose I should really. Shame I don't I have a plug outside my house I quite fancy a Fluence ZE, although I see in Israel on the news the battery changing scheme has failed so not sure if Renault will try that anywhere else.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 am

12noon wrote:Might sound a bit thick, but your keycard doesn't work, so you unlock the door with the emergency key. Then what ?

I'm assuming you needed to use the key due to a flat battery, so you can then pop the bonnet and change or recharge the battery.
Without this backdoor method you would be stuffed!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:18 pm

Hands free key loses the will to transmit so door wont open this is usually due to the crapy megane key being to soft and to big do not put in back pocket and sit down key flexes and circuit board pops its chips.
It will still work in slot and start car unless its completely knackered. If it starts car it can be repaired if it doesn't start it then its new key time which cant be bought 2nd hand.
I am amazed they stuck with this card for meg 3 as it is weak but do see they have ditched the stupid "throttle" type hand brake and gone back to a lever well done renault!

alanf
Learner Driver

Postby alanf » Tue May 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Got my knackered key fixed for £15 + p&p on tinternet some company Bolton way I think good service done by return of post

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon May 11, 2020 7:14 am

ChrisM wrote:Hands free key loses the will to transmit so door wont open this is usually due to the crapy megane key being to soft and to big do not put in back pocket and sit down key flexes and circuit board pops its chips.
It will still work in slot and start car unless its completely knackered. If it starts car it can be repaired if it doesn't start it then its new key time which cant be bought 2nd hand.
I am amazed they stuck with this card for meg 3 as it is weak but do see they have ditched the stupid "throttle" type hand brake and gone back to a lever well done renault!

Hey! I LIKE the fancy handbrake lever..

Not so keen on the actual handbrake though. The car has moved several times with the handbrake on. The most memorable being in a country hotel on a cliff. Came out the morning after to find the car "resting" it's nose on a grassy bank, several feet forward. There was a sheer drop just beyond that, onto a golf course...
Handbrake has been "adjusted" loads of times.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”