General questions!

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jonmccrae

General questions!

Postby jonmccrae » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:43 pm

Right this is my first post and i have a few questions about the Megane II Sedan, mainly about installing an aftermarket hi-fi, specifically the 1.6 (dont know if it makes any difference)

1. Is there enough space in the parcel shelf to cut two retangular holes to fit, boxed, 6x9 speakers?!
2. Both amps are going to be in the boot and i am replacing all the speaker cables so what is it best way to root the power, rca, speaker, remote etc cables through the car?
3. After taking out the original headunit, what facia plate will i need (single din)?
4. How easy is it to access the back of the headunit from behind the dash board, as i will need to attach remote cables and rca cables to it.
5. I am planning on dynamating the 4 doors, the interior bulges from the wheel arches and the boot floor. So are there any other bits i should do aswell?
6. Will the standard battery cope with a 400 watt rms sereo?
7. Anyone got a link to how to get the power cable from engine bay into the cabin?

Pictures would be highly appriciated!

Dont need anyhelp when it comes to setting up the new stuff, just i dont know my way round a megane, when it comes to removing panels etc..

Thankyou very much! :-)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: General questions!

Postby davelowe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 pm

jonmccrae wrote:

Wouldn't worry about the battery unless you are using the system without the engine running. I would worry about the alternator - assuming 400W RMS (actual), you would be drawing 33A. With every other bit of electrical kit switched on, that might be pushing things. Check the rated output for the model.
Dave
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:49 pm

jonmccrae wrote:Right this is my first post and i have a few questions about the Megane II Sedan, mainly about installing an aftermarket hi-fi, specifically the 1.6 (dont know if it makes any difference)

1. Is there enough space in the parcel shelf to cut two retangular holes to fit, boxed, 6x9 speakers?!
2. Both amps are going to be in the boot and i am replacing all the speaker cables so what is it best way to root the power, rca, speaker, remote etc cables through the car?
3. After taking out the original headunit, what facia plate will i need (single din)?
4. How easy is it to access the back of the headunit from behind the dash board, as i will need to attach remote cables and rca cables to it.
5. I am planning on dynamating the 4 doors, the interior bulges from the wheel arches and the boot floor. So are there any other bits i should do aswell?
7. Anyone got a link to how to get the power cable from engine bay into the cabin?

Pictures would be highly appriciated!

Dont need anyhelp when it comes to setting up the new stuff, just i dont know my way round a megane, when it comes to removing panels etc..

Thankyou very much! :-)

Question answers ...

1) No there is not enough room on the parcel shelf. (upgrade all components to pioneers and this wont be a problem)

2)Power cable and remote up one side of the car, Audio cables up the other side. (no interferance)

3)Dont know i have a double din

4) Its easy enough to track cables to it plenty of room.

5)dynamat will probably get damp in the doors.....

6) I have a 1500w amp and the bigger 2.0 VVT battery it last about 30mins without the engine on.(before the car wont start)

7 there is a rubber bung behind the glove box that you can pull the power cable through. Glove box has to come out.

P

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Eddie-- wrote:on the shelf there is i seen in the shopping center on day, they cut into the top part not the dip in the shelf looked a ****ing sight but each to there own lol

I still say there’s not enough room, unless you remove the sh1tty cubby whole thing, then fill the lower section with MDF. After that is done you can cut space for 6x9 and will look flush...

If not, they won’t be bolted down properly and will just rattle...

As above change all components and add a half decent sub (preferably in the passenger compartment as in the saloon the boot is a sealed unit and dampens the base somewhat.)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Just a couple of questions. Does anyone ever think about the Thiele / Small parameters, the benefits of open baffle vs infinite baffle vs reflex enclosures vs transmission line, the efficiency of the drive units (dB/W), frequency response, maximum interior dimension and/or the compliance of the cone surrounds?

I only ask as you could probably get cheaper and better kit if you made your own stuff. I used to design loudspeaker enclosures for a living.

How much do you pay for all this tackle?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:43 am

[quote="jonmccrae"]Right this is my first post and i have a few questions about the Megane II Sedan, mainly about installing an aftermarket hi-fi, specifically the 1.6 (dont know if it makes any difference)

There probably is - but is is not recomended...it will look shabby, and after a while they will start to sag due to the weight.
You want to keep your power seperate to your RCA's and speaker wire (depending on the quality of your wires)
If your buying a new single din system, it will come with a facia sourround
Impossible...You will have to connect the remote while the system is out.
Depends on what kind of system your going for...power wise - I had about 3000wrms and i did 1 coat of dynamat all round...but needed a second. need more specs on what your installing
depends on what your installing, the cable you are going to run, the amps, the subs....need more info
Behind the glovebox, there is a gromit, through that...its a bit of a bitch to get to from the engine bay..
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:46 am

ulrich100 wrote:

............?

you sure about this?? dynamat is mastic based with an aluminium sheet.
it does not absord water in any shape for form...
https://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_ ... treme.html

NOTE: there are alot of other sound insulation products on ebay....they are all similar, but not as effective as Dynamat.
Last edited by ICEMAN on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 am

davelowe wrote:Just a couple of questions. Does anyone ever think about the Thiele / Small parameters, the benefits of open baffle vs infinite baffle vs reflex enclosures vs transmission line, the efficiency of the drive units (dB/W), frequency response, maximum interior dimension and/or the compliance of the cone surrounds?

I only ask as you could probably get cheaper and better kit if you made your own stuff. I used to design loudspeaker enclosures for a living.

How much do you pay for all this tackle?

yes i do.

But just depends on you really. If your talking about speakers or subwoofers...i know a few people who have tried to make their own woofers which have worked, but again they are hybirds of other woofers...trying to get the best bits, but it doesn't seem to work well...

if you want to do it, then go ahead and post your findings

8-)

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:57 pm

ICEMAN wrote:
ulrich100 wrote:

............?

you sure about this?? dynamat is mastic based with an aluminium sheet.
it does not absord water in any shape for form...
https://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_ ... treme.html

NOTE: there are alot of other sound insulation products on ebay....they are all similar, but not as effective as Dynamat.

Yea im sure... I didnt mention anthing about absorbition of water.. i simply stated it will get damp. Ie you put a plastic bag in a bath tub... it gets damp but doesnt absorb... two different things..

So yea im sure.. :ner

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:00 pm

ulrich100 wrote:Yea im sure... I didnt mention anthing about absorbition of water.. i simply stated it will get damp. Ie you put a plastic bag in a bath tub... it gets damp but doesnt absorb... two different things..

So yea im sure.. :ner

lol my bad... :grin :grin :grin

but just a general comment, if the dynamat gets damp - it does not effect performance. it is bitumen based (like tar on the road)

Return to “ICE”