Suspension Bearing

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Suspension Bearing

Postby Paddy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:43 pm

How much is a new O/S/F bearing for the suspension. The part that sits just under the lid that the top of the suspension is seated into.

Any one have a part number or one lying around?!

Thanks
P

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Re: Suspension Bearing

Postby TheFinn » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:23 pm

IIRC, Renault only supplies the bearing in a kit with the strut top mount that bolts to the body. This was the case at least in 2008 when I needed the bearings for my car. I don't know UK prices, but at least here in Finland the Renault price was outrageous as usual. :(

Fortunately the bearings are available separately at least from the OE supplier SNR: their number is M255.08 for the bearing only. It's the same part for n/s and o/s. I think I paid about 20€ for one.

But please check the SNR cataloque yourself to make sure I didn't give you the wrong number by mistake:
https://www.snr-bearings.com/catalogue/ ... e&gamme=SU

Hope this helps.
2,0 16V 6-speed manual: Image - Image

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Top Job Fella,

Yea its just the bearing, The mount is intact.

Thanks for the help,

P

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Glad I could be of help! :)

BTW, I've understood your car is lowered? In that case you might want to consider modifying the new bearings prior to fitting.

This is how new bearings looks like:

The one on the left is upside down, and the light-coloured plastic is the spring seat. There's a small tag protruding upwards approximately at 3 o'clock. That's the stop against which the end of the spring coil locates.

When I fitted my H&R coilover kit, the fitting instructions specifically instructed to grind down that protruding bit to avoid breakage of parts. With a shorter lowering spring, there's the risk of the penultimate upper coil hitting the protrusion on compression, which could wreck the bearing! :(

Here's the protruding bit ground off:

This way, if the spring uper coils should "bottom", only the two coils become in contact. And there's no pinpoint concentration of force directly on the protruding bit.

I'm sure H&R recommend this modification for a good reason, and I must say I've had no problems since fitting the lowering two years ago.
Perhaps this is not what wrecked your original bearings as they do go with age even on standard cars. But it shouldn't hurt to do this mod to the new bearings.

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Fin,

Your a fountain of knowledge.

Ill do just that. Should the rear strut bearings have the same mod done?

The bearing went because the tw!t what installed the springs din't locate the springs properly.

Regards

Paddy

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:31 pm

ulrich100 wrote:Should the rear strut bearings have the same mod done?

No, as there are none.... ;)

tyler_565
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE MK2 1.4i 16v sport 3dr blue, apline headunit, 2* JL audio 1000w 12' subs, 2* JL audio 400w speakers, 4* JL audio tweaters, JL audio 1800w amp, poineer 6*9 400w, ipod nano 16gb, 4 12' blue neons, FOX 17' 8 spoke white&silver, PI 40mm lowering springs, k&n 57i induction kit, powerflow backbox&tip, angel eyes headlights, wind deflectors, JJ tints windows, 6 inch tint strip, eyebrows,

cagiva mito 125
foggy rep

Postby tyler_565 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:57 pm

aww i hate strut bearings had nothing but problems with them. as my car is lowered the mechanic keep pittin my lowering springs in upside down, so they keep breaking. the mechanic said it was because the springs werant right for the car. so i toke a look for myself and descovered that the prick pit them in upside down. the car failed the mot 3 times because off that faggot. and he wouldnt pay up.
RENAULT MEGANE MK2 1.4i 16v sport 3dr blue,

cagiva mito 125
foggy rep

Paddy
F1 Driver

Postby Paddy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:38 pm

Ah right that would make sense fin.

Well i have been luck enough come tomorrow he is going to put the work right after speaking to his boss.

Then the MOT will tell if the work has been done correctly.

P

Return to “Parts and Accessories”