Tyre choice

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

faffer
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Qashqai, Alfa Ph2 Spider & company Octavia

Tyre choice

Postby faffer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 am

I have tried a few searches and didn't get any results, so apologies if I am going over old ground.
Our CC (16" wheels) has Michelin E3a energy tyres, I'll assume a Continental model have also been fitted as standard to CC's. So calling on you longer term CC owners for advice, are there tyre brands to be recommended or for that matter avoided?

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Tyre choice

Postby ChrisM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Toyo Proxies I am runing on, good grip, hardly any road noise, quite a hard wearing tyre, my wife is also running on them for over 12 months now she has a Megane Coupe, before that she had Continetals Econtact Sport (I think) on but they went down to the markers very quickly about year and half, fronts where nearly illegal she does about 12k year, I did fit to the front of my Fiat, Barum Bravrus and they where superb tyres, you could feel them digging in on wet curves allowing NO slide at all , they where only on for a bout 4 months though before I sold it so not sure on how long they would last, seems to be a soft tyre that sticks well wears out quicker, a hard tyre that does not stick so well in the wet will last longer so it is getting that "in the middle" tyre that suits your pocket and driving style.
For us it seems to be Toyo but also heard some good reports on Kumo KU Sport range, but must admit the CC is a lot heavier than her Coupe so will keep an eye on them, tyre guy did say though make sure you get the right LOAD INDEX for your car otherwise the side walls will flex to much, If memory serves I paid around £122 a pair - fitted, which is not to bad really for a 16"The other thing the tyre Guy said, you cant run on runflats on a Renault CC? didn't say why but was very adamant on it. ;)

faffer
Passed Theory

Postby faffer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:21 am

Toyos, are you referring to the T1-R or CF-1.
Ours (assuming are still the factory originals) are 91H , looking around 91v seems to be one of the most commonest sizes available, so goods news there.
Interestingly enough I'd been considering the proxes 4's for my Laguna (17" wheels), good reviews and I take your point on the wrong loading,the Laguna uses 94v (sometimes referred to as extra load) and you notice a difference if it is being driven on 91's.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 pm

CF-1's on both cars, loading is 91V for my CC don't remember the wifes now they came on OZ superturismo alloys, looks wicked on her red Coupe, priced em up for 17" on my CC but nearly died at the price, hers where £550 (15") with tyres/Locking bolts delivered, over a year ago, now for my CC with tyres (Toyos) just over a grand delivered.
TTTtttooooo Expensive!
so have to sit tight on the Standard Renault Alloys "peeling & bubling" 16" at the mo.
You know I am almost loathed to say it but I do think my wifes 1999 1.4cc Coupe is built better than the 2004 CC, it will be an interesting couple of years I think, she has had her Coupe from 7k five years ago to now at 62k all that has been done to it apart from oil/air and plugs every year is 1 drive shaft (driver side) due one on passenger soon, cambelt change twice, clutch about a month ago, battery and a driver window regulator in 6 years and 55 thousand miles of driving so will see how the CC compares to that, not even going to put the CC anywhere near my old 99 plate 1.2cc Fiat Bravo, which drove 130k in 5 years and had in total 1 battery, 1 clutch change, 3 cambelt changes, 1 set of rear drums and a coil, WHAT a little car that was, never missed a beat :lol:
So the CC has got some living up to do, lets see if it can cope with the challenge! :devil

faffer
Passed Theory

Postby faffer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:41 pm

It looks like Camskill is the best price for the mail order tyres
Thanks for that

"so have to sit tight on the Standard Renault Alloys "peeling & bubling" 16" at the mo"
I have recently had a pair of 16" wheels completely refurbed at a local place, superb job.

"cambelt change twice"
Why so many, aren't all Renaults 5yr/72k?

"WHAT a little car that was, never missed a beat"
No use looking back, you have moved on to a Renault!

Meggyman
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in grey.
Full leather etc

Postby Meggyman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:57 am

Don't get Goodyear. Load of shite and make the car skitter around on bad road surfaces. Plus the grip wasn't much good either.
56 Megane CC 2.0 Privilege in Grey.
Full leather etc

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 am

"cambelt change twice"
Why so many, aren't all Renaults 5yr/72k?

1999 car year to date 2009 , however the 1st belt was changed when we purchased car 5 years ago at around 7k, sensible thing to do if it has not belt change history at least you know you are starting afresh, 2nd belt change done about 2 months or so back as it was due on 5 years from last one, doesn't seem excessive to me 2 belts in 10 years.

"WHAT a little car that was, never missed a beat"
No use looking back, you have moved on to a Renault!

It is nice to have fond memories of your last car, especially a make that every one slated me for buying, "you'll have nothing but trouble with it" was a line constantly spun to me, poppycock it ran like a train up to 130k on a 1200cc petrol engine, before I sold it on, I know I have moved to a Renault, belive me, owned it for nearly 3 months now and roof sticks every now and then so you have to spray roof lock with silicone to make it work, airbag light flashes occasionally, so you have push plug togther under passenger seat, keycard went west 3 week after purchase so had to be repaired this time lucky for me, passenger rear window broke, again lucky for me bought one from scrap yard, and Sat nav/CD player occasionally makes this horiffic chattering noise like it is try to read a disc that is not there, the only way to stop it is to give the dash next to it a sturdy slap, oh yes and the passenger front window lags badly behind the other 3 and it leaks in 2 places now, sorted out the 3rd leak and a 1.9 diesel! where on earth have Renault sent all the power to, because it not to the front wheels, so as you can imagine at this present time I am not overly impressed with the CC, you can certainly tell it was rushed to do battle with the Pug , friend of ours has a 307cc what a good car, quick as well begining to wonder if I should have hung on a bit longer and bought a 307cc :cry looks like I am in the Renault for the rest of this year at least, but to be fair it needs a fair crack of the whip as it has had some problems which is possibly why the last owner ditched it, hopefully I have cleared some of them just the anoying sat nav noise, passenger window is livable I will have to have a look inside perhaps it is just running on dry runners, I have zip taged th airbag plug together and seems to have stopped it working apart light has not flashed now for nearly 2 weeks, she is begining to grow on me :hug...... However, if she carries on costing me money she will be in the paper and sold on next spring without a doubt!

Return to “Megane CC”