Cruise Control

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kmarty
Learner Driver

Re: Cruise Control

Postby kmarty » Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 pm

dry_flood wrote:Do I have to cut these wires and join them to my 2 wires from the 4 switches?
Yes. But I recommend you, do it "undoable" - I used this gold plated pins as connectors:
(I cut each wire and solder this connectors between and put on a "spaghetti insulation" as isolation)

so I can anytime revert it to original state (maybe I find a cheap airbag with original CC buttons).
MEGΛNE Expression Grand Tour/Grandtour/Estate/Tourer 1.6 automat - 2005
sorry for my poor english
Image (Image)

dry_flood
Learner Driver

Postby dry_flood » Sat May 24, 2008 8:43 am

When I cut the wires do I connect my 2 wires from the switches to the plug or to the wires that go off round the steering wheel?

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Sun May 25, 2008 8:29 pm

dry_flood wrote:When I cut the wires do I connect my 2 wires from the switches to the plug or to the wires that go off round the steering wheel?
He?
This wires are originally coming from control unit to steering wheel. On steering wheel are originally (when fitted) four buttons for cruise control.
When you cut those wires in steering pillar (column) for installing homemaded buttons of CC (i.e. buttons installed outside of steering wheel), which side you mean you need? Wires from control unit or wires from steering wheel (connected to /dev/null)?

Image (Image)

bobsimes
Currently Drives:: megane cc 1.6

Postby bobsimes » Mon May 26, 2008 10:06 am

its the two wires coming from the dashboard before they reach the steerign wheel.

i used a soldering iron, heat shrink wire tubing and made a connection that would not be able to come undone thinking that in the future i could just re solder the wires together when i sell the car.

Simon

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Mon May 26, 2008 12:04 pm

bobsimes wrote:its the two wires coming from the dashboard before they reach the steerign wheel.
Of course. There is no place for any ambiguity.

Image (Image)

bobsimes

Postby bobsimes » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:05 am

To complete my cruise control fitment i have now changed the way it operates and thought others might like to know what i have used.

i wanted to retain the radio controls but could not find a steering wheel with the buttons so i hunted around various car makes and models in my local scrap yard and found one of these which cost me £10

https://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruise ... module.htm

above link for picture refrence only!!

i found one on a citroen picaso but other late models might have one, not all citroens have it as it is probably an extra like on our renaults but they are certanly more common than the steering wheels which are like rocking horse s**t to find.

inside is a ribon cable which has metal lugs which can be soldered onto, it works the same as the renault radio switch however this needs no alterations to the internal workings just resistors added on to each lug that goes to the correct button,

there are five lugs, you will need a multimeter to identifiy which one leads to each button,

you will need lower valued resistors than the previous posts as the citroen switch works off micro switches which seem to have a small resistance of their own unlike the renault radio remote so lower resistor values are needed, maplin stocks all the resistors you need and they are very helpfull and get a variety of resistors (13p each) resistors you will need, i cant remeber exactly what resistance is used as it was trial and error until i got 100 , 900 and 270 ohms or near to these values that renault specify at the two wires that run to the ecu, dont worry if you cant get exactly these values as nearly seems to work fine.

40 - 100 ohms

150 - 200 ohms

750 - 850 ohms

when you have located which lug goes to which button solder one end of the coresponding resistor onto the lug (there should be three resistors + - and resume), then join the other ends up and solder one plain wire from the on off button and also solder this to the end of the now joined resistors, there should be one lug left now which is the common (visits all buttons ) this will be one of the wires that joins under the steering wheel that goes to the ecu, the other wire needs attaching to the end of the resistors and the plain wire which should now all be joined.

i then cut away the end of the switch carefully and located it directly under the indicator/light stalk (right hand drive car), you will need to cut away part of the cowling, make it tight as the pressure helps to hold it all tight with minimal movement when the buttons are being pressed, one small black self tapping screw will then go through the cowling and the cruise switch holding the two tight when it is all screwed up. you should have two wires left as with the radio remote mod and wiring of these is the same as previous posts.

i would post pictures of the mod but dont know how to add pictures to posts, anyone help?

the result is a more pro looking switch and you retain the radio remote for under £15
simon

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:31 am

bobsimes wrote:To complete my cruise control fitment ... i found one on a citroen picaso
Excellent idea :idea: :clap

bobsimes wrote:i would post pictures of the mod but dont know how to add pictures to posts, anyone help?

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.foo.bar/my/picture.jpg[/img]

which make something like this:

or (better when picture is huge)

[url=http://www.foo.bar/my/picture.jpg][img]http://www.foo.bar/my/picture-thumbnail.jpg[/img][/url]

which make something like this:
(Picture is "clickable".)

If you don't have direct link for picture (i.e. picture is generated by some script and its URL have no appropriate extension or you have many pictures on one place), you can place only link:

[url=http://www.foo.bar/some/place]Some Place[/url]

Which makes something like this:
Example of link

P.S.: "www.foo.bar" is your webserver (or photo web place).

Image (Image)

bobsimes

Postby bobsimes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:01 am

i have now taken pics of the cruise control stalk taken from a citroen picaso. please see

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27935968@N02/

hope they are of some use to others

Bobsimes.

anth_dci
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II DCi 120 Dynamique 52 plate

Postby anth_dci » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm

resurrecting an old thread here i know, but im interested in doing this to my megane since i do 50-60miles on the motorway each day.

ive read through this thread and im still none the wiser how to install it. my car doesnt havent stablity control (i dont think anyway) so do i need that panel and wiring? i understand the + and - buttons are obviously to control the speed you want to be set at, but what does the other two buttons do?
Megane II dynamique 1.9 DCI 120bhp, 5 door, 52 plate.

kmarty
Learner Driver

Postby kmarty » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:29 pm

anth_dci wrote:... i understand the + and - buttons are obviously to control the speed you want to be set at, but what does the other two buttons do?

other two buttons is for Recall last used speed and Cancel cruisecontrol when is active (same as step on the brake or clutch pedal).

Image (Image)

ace
Passed Theory

Postby ace » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi!

I was also looking into installing a CC to my Megane. I don't have ESP installed.
If someone could enlighten me... If I buy a steering wheel with CC buttons from eBay, would my current airbag fit into it?
And if I understand correctly, the wires are present in my car, I just have to buy a switch-plate and some other stuff and connect it correctly!

Thanks,
Nejc

anth_dci
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II DCi 120 Dynamique 52 plate

Postby anth_dci » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 am

i dont think i have ESP, least i cant see any buttons for it anywhere. Ive just pulled the panel out from down next to the steering column. There are 2 plugs, one going into the light adjustment switches and another white block that isnt connected to anything. I presume this is the one i need for CC. Think ill start getting the parts i need together to get this fitted. When you say you get renault to reprogram to enable it. Does it add an extra screen to the trip computer or replace the, "no available message" thing i seem to get on there.
Megane II dynamique 1.9 DCI 120bhp, 5 door, 52 plate.

Yorick
Currently Drives:: 1.5dci 2005 5 door megane.
Best MPG: 86.8

Postby Yorick » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:25 pm

I was just looking at the wires under the steering column. The colour is different (purple/grey and pink) from what I've seen on some pictures but they're in exactly the same place.

Can I just use these two cables??

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Yorik, not sure your looking at the same connector as everyone else? Can confirm both my 53 reg 2.0 Megane and my 1.6 56 reg phase 2 Grand Scenic have the wiring in place. Looks like a simple and cheap mod to do.

Yorick
Currently Drives:: 1.5dci 2005 5 door megane.
Best MPG: 86.8

Postby Yorick » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:47 pm

I compared it to this picture:

I think I'm going to give it a try next week!!

Return to “Modifications”