TheFinn's modded one

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

wanda
F1 Driver

Re: TheFinn's modded one

Postby wanda » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:33 pm

That's nice but the steering is on the wrong side (oikealla) ;-)

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:58 pm

@wanda: No no, when the steering's on the left side it's on the right side.... :lol:

OK, managed to find a new, unused, genuine 225 front bumper all of a sudden, even came ready factory-painted in the correct 676 metallic black! Unfortunately it had "been 'round the globe" a few times by the look of it:

But some rubbing compound later the scuffs and scratches were practically all gone and the shine was back, so I spared a visit to a painter's for now:

And now also my humble 2-litre has the mean 'Hammerhead' look:

2,0 16V 6-speed manual: Image - Image

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:07 am

Nice. You car looks very angry now :cool:

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:23 pm

nice find, whats that rubber thing to the left of your license plate?
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:06 pm

tallpaul wrote:nice find, whats that rubber thing to the left of your license plate?

It's actually plastic not rubber: a hinged cover flap for a 230V engine/cabin preheating system's electrical plug. Pretty much a standard piece of equipment on nearly every car here in the Nordic countries.

raceengineer
Currently Drives:: megane II Dci Sporttourer

Postby raceengineer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:11 am

Where did you get your running lamps? Id love some, i got a replica RS Bumper...
https://www.madmotors.co.uk/catalog/carz ... -8643.html.
Should arrive today then its off to the spray shop. My car is deep blue, just need to get some inserts for the grill as mine are plain boring!

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:49 pm

looking well boss!!! Best kit money can buy!!!
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:28 pm

raceengineer wrote:Where did you get your running lamps? Id love some, i got a replica RS Bumper...

Sorry I haven't answered earlier, hadn't noticed these two replies since my last post.... :oops:

I got mine from Germany, a company called Topauto.com. The lights are branded AuCo.

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Today brought some new mods. First I fitted a right-hand-side exhaust support in preparation for 225 backbox:

Then it was off to the painter's to get some parts that were being colour-coded. For the first picture I didn't quite get the angle right to show the shine, but here's a colour-coded roof strip anyway:

Door strips were also treated to body colour, and like the roof strips they were first filled to remove the surface texture of the original parts. Just painting and clearcoating a textured surface doesn't bring out the desired glass smooth finish as is on the steel body panels. But the painter did a good job on these:

No silver 'Renault Sport' badge for me thank you very much! :devil Be it an attempt at a 225 replica, but I didn't want to use the same clichés everyone else uses, so it was a smoothed and colour-coded '2.0 16V' instead:

My previously acquired RS rear bumper was given a coat of 676 pearlescent black as well, so fitting it was a pleasure to the eye:

Some Phase 2 grilles to finish it off:

Even better:

Rear reg plate also found its way onto the new bumper, I chose to leave out the backing plate with our club name this time to remove any esthetical clutter:

I've been playing with the idea of having windows tinted for several years, but on Monday it finally became a reality. I've never even considered any shade of grey/black as, again, I want the car to stand out from the crowd just slightly. Finally found a place "only" 70km away that installs Foliatec films. For it was the Foliatec Comfortgreen film I'd set my mind on. Like the name says it's a shade of green, as I was after an 'OEM look' but with the volume knob turned up to max! :lol:

I had the same shade for every window apart from the windscreen obviously. Tinting the front door windows is illegal in Finland too, we'll see how soon I get pulled over.... But one of the reasons I chose the "enhanced OEM look" and the same darkness all round was to attract not too much attention. Having radically black windows on your back windows immediately draws the cops' attention, but this way some cops (in most dire need for a new pair of 'glasses...) might not notice anything... 8-)

I had to slightly tweak the colour on this picture to show the real shade of the tints. For some reason the colour balance on my Sony DSC-T9 went all funny on the ovecast day and made the tints look all blue, ehivh they aren't! But like I said, this pic corresponds to the real hue a human eye sees in nature:

I'm hoping to have the 225 backbox fitted later this week, tomorrow I'll visit an exhaust shop to see what they can do.

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:22 pm

it gets better and better :cool:
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

I didn't want silver (you mean reflective?) tints as they stand out a bit too much to my liking.

Here's a few pics of the backbox jobbie to get the gaping holes in the rear bumper filled:

And how does it sound? Well, extremely pleasant I'd say! Not obtrusively loud but with nice bass notes especially at low revs (1000-2000 rpm). What surprises me is that there's (at least yet) no resonating drone even at motorway speeds. And pedestrians seem to give me no disapproving glances, so I guess it's nowhere near the "fit-the-loudest-box-to-your-1.0-Corsa" boy-racer category.... :devil
I made a little soundfile for you to judge, unfortunately the mic on the camera cuts some of the lower frequencies, but it still manages to sound quite meaty IMHO: 8-)

EDIT: For some reason Youtube embedding doesn't seem to work, here's a link to the soundfile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzRifSsH2g

TheFinn
Advanced Driver

Postby TheFinn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Eddie-- wrote:back wiper going ?

Not at this point anyhow.

Here's continuation to a project that ground to a halt in November 2007! :dead
It's the engine cover. Back then I managed to shave the four odd-looking "knobs" from the top of the cover (though here at the bottom of the picture):

Sanded away most of the surface texturing, the rest was smoothed out with spray filler:

And that's when the project stopped for 19 months, until I continued with it this Saturday. Well, at least the filler had time to cure... :grin

I continued by first wet-sanding the filler once more, then sprayed on a 1-pack wash primer:

After the primer had dried I continued with final colour and clearcoat:

It's far from perfect with some dust and a few runs (although this time I tried to be careful with the clearcoat), but nothing too bad really, But I really should have wet-sanded after the wash primer, so I'll probably give it a wet-sand and re-colour and re-clearcoat it.

Once I get the paint to my liking it'll be time to have some stickers made, this is what I had in mind:

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:14 pm

I thought I was a real megane enthusiast but it seems I have competition :D

luka3rd
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II Grandtour GT 1.5 dCi

Postby luka3rd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm

I see it's an old post... B U T :
Do you want me to throw away my car? Dump it in the river? Come on!
You made Megane perfect! I love it! It is most stylish of ALL the cars I've seen! I want to buy it! Specially that the wheel is on the right side! :D
If you ever go with it to Greece, let me know when you reach Hungary! Please. I want to take picture with it, it would be an honour! No kidding!

rustyDLK
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 Renault megane II DCI 1.5

Postby rustyDLK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm

really nice care dude :)

Return to “Modifications”