How Does Your CC handle

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

How Does Your CC handle

Postby ChrisM » Fri May 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Question as above really!
Mine is awful, dips and wallows all over the road, best discription is "boatey" like sitting in a row boat, every time it changes direction, it wallows around the road like an old ox, the wind affects it terribly more than my old Fiat which was like a tin can on wheels, and when it reaches 80 mph it feels like it is floating. This is with the roof on!
It is a 2004 with 45K on the clock I have had a look at springs and shockers, all are ok, no leaks, breaks, no damage, looks ok on a bonce test, I know Renault aired on a neutral ride but this is a bit unerving at times, even my wife has remarked on it and she has a 99 Renault coupe so she should be use to it.I would like to upgrade the suspension on it but at around £400 It is a bit expensive at present as I have just bought this car, was wondering if I changed the front springs for uprated ones will it make any inroads to the soft suspension issue
any thoughts? :-(

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Re: How Does Your CC handle

Postby dougieCC » Fri May 01, 2009 4:54 pm

The only thing I have noticed, is the slight shudder when you drive on a uneven road with the top down. Mine doesn't seem to wallow at all, if you were going to upgrade, heard that Koni FSD's are the best, if available for the CC.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Sat May 02, 2009 6:42 am

We have a clio 3 and I feel more confident at corners with my megane cc than the clio, then again the megane is lower and comes with 17" 205 as standard.

The last time we were in Germany we drove at 120mph with the roof down and windows up and it felt sturdy and the wind wasnt bad either I would compare it to a sun roof at speed.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue May 05, 2009 8:29 am

Strangly enough we spent 2 out of 3 days topless this weekend and it handles much better with the roof off than with it on, perhaps because the weight of the roof is lower in the vehicle when stowed in the boot.
Wanda; mine has 16" wheels as standard, with 55 profile tyres, I reckon it is doing a lot of bouncing on them tyres, will be looking at a wheel change I think to 17" with mybe 40 profiles to stop that bounce.
DougieCC; yes I expected that shudder did notice it when I hired one in sardinia, that one had a very low mileage (Well Km) on it so it must have only been a few months old, tis a bit strange at first though, as I just catch the top of the screen with my eye moving what looks like sideways.
What I do find a bit strange when it hits about 80mph (mine now) it feels really unstable, as if it is floating (roof up) and in side winds it gets knocked all over the road, with realative ease and does not have to be that gusty, the car is on a 04 plate with 45k on the clock I think I am going to get it 4 wheel aligned as well just to make sure it is running straight, but apart from this, 2 days topless WICKED!and such glares from other drivers, Priceless! :lol:

dougieCC
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane CC 1.6

Postby dougieCC » Tue May 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Mine is stable in the rd and at speed, whats your tyres and pressures like, like you said also get wheel allignment done asap.

Alan
Megane CC 1.6vvt and 1.4 clio

mental-matt
Currently Drives:: Meganne cc blue 56 plate

Postby mental-matt » Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 pm

my dads got the 1.5 dci it handles great with the roof down but you can feel it rolls a bit more with the roof up but with it down it grips amazingly.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Wed May 06, 2009 9:15 am

DougieCC sorry can't remember tyre pressures now the guy in national tyres swapped wheels around and adjusted the pressures, it had Milleniums on the front, which have now gone on the rear, the fronts are now Toyo Proxies CF1's the Milleniums are about 2 months old, the old owner had them put on, balanced, new Valve and tracked for £132.00, doesn't seem like a lot of money for 2 tyres and tracked as well, I paid £128 for 2 toyos with no tracking! Steering wheel is slightly off centre so I am not sure if I am turning the steering without realising then releasing it for the car to run straight again, or the car is wandering and I am constantly correcting it, either way I seem to be putting presure on my right wrist all the time, if you know what I mean, so I am taking a guess that some thing is not running true, which will then explain the "floating" feeling at speed, Wheel Align gets done on Friday, it is doing about 44 to 46 on a 30 mile dash down the duel carrage way to work, don't know if that is any good for a 1.9 diesel never had a diesel before always been a petrol head I know it is on 2 year servicing and was done early in 2007, and the dash reads 6.125 to next service, I was going to have a look at the air filter but have no idea where it is yet, I know the wipers where well and truley goosed picked it up and half way home it rained (typical) so I flipped em on, WELL I could have done better hanging out of the window with a stick and an old sock, so I begain to wonder what the air filter looked like by now, as I said though, just need to find it first :conf

pugboy
Currently Drives:: 54 Megane CC 1.9 DCi

Postby pugboy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:16 pm

54 plate with 60k on the clock - Handling is acceptable. Fine for cruising.

Shudder when you go over rough ground I guess is par for the course, but I thought it might be better than it is with the roof up. Goes round corners OK, but the steering doesn't feel great in comparison with say a Ford Focus.

What shocked me most about how the car drives is that for a car that doesn't have a great deal of grunt it seems to struggle to put the power down and is also easily knocked off line by cambers in the road.

Wonder if you could fit the suspension off a 225 hatch? or would the extra weight have it sitting on its arse?....
2004 CC 1.9 DCi

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 am

Yes it did suprise me a lot with the roof up reminds me of a boat, my wife has a 99 coupe and I always thought that was a boat but flippin heck compared to the CC it is a wonderful drive.
I am getting use to it but deffinatly want to stiffen it up a bit, as in this country I guess it will have it roof on more than off, I think I might change road springs for slightly lowered ones to tighten it up a bit, I know what you mean about the power 1.9Dci but where does it go, I drove my wifes 1.4 petrol Coupe and it was far more responsive than the 1.9, I know it is diesel and there will be a differance but it was VERY noticable, but there again will all that glass it is carrying a lot more weight, excellent cruiser, but the steering is awful, electric progresssive rubbish, so sterile it is unbelivable I like to feel what the driving wheels are doing through the steering wheel, but unfortunatly not with this car, still once that roof is off who cares.... :lol:

Return to “Megane CC”