Anybody know anything about MX bikes?

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Anybody know anything about MX bikes?

Postby kylehimself » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:56 am

Hi all!

Over the past few months I've had this idea in my head that I wouldn't mind gettin' a motocross bike to chuck round a field. I don't wont to get a bike licence because I have no intentions of driving on the road and I really cant be bothered going through all the learning and testing again.

Thing is I have no bike experience so what I'm asking is,

1. Is it really all that hard to get to grips with? I'm 20 and the only time I've used a bike was my friends dirt bike when I was 10. I fell off on my ass.

2. I assume there is no qualifications required since I'm not on the road, or is CBT training mandatory however you use the bike.

3. What would be a good ride to start on? I've had a look at a Yamaha YZ125cc 2 stroke and for the price it seems ok. Would a 250 be better or does it really depend on your needs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Kyle

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Anybody know anything about MX bikes?

Postby Stranger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:11 am

So long as you don't ride it on a public highway and you have the land owners permission for where you are going to ride it then there's nothing you need to do except get yourself a bike, a helmet, some boots and preferably some leathers and gloves.

As regards bikes start small and work your way up. The YZ that you mention would be a good starting point and 125 is the max that you want to start on, that way you learn to control the bike. Practice low speed manouvers and DO NOT go batting about like a mad man because you'll get hurt if you do that before you know what you're doing.

This is going back a bit but I had a couple of Suzuki RM125, an RM 250 a Kawasaki SP400 and some others.

Don't forget that a single will behave differently to a twin and a two stroke will behave differently to a 4 stroke, I learnt the hard way as my SP400 had 2 testicle shaped dints on the tank when I sold it :cry .
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Re: Anybody know anything about MX bikes?

Postby kylehimself » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:54 pm

cheers for the reply buddy. Just gotta get me the damn thing now!

Return to “Everything Else”