starting car best way

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jojo2.0vvt
Currently Drives:: 3dr 2.0vvt dynamique sport

starting car best way

Postby jojo2.0vvt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:55 am

Hi guys just a quick question, my wife starts the car with foot on brake, car out of gear then presses the start button, sometimes it kicks in sometimes takes about 3 attempts, Ive told her to press the accelerator pedal when she presses the start button. Shes only had the car a week whats the best way to start as we are still learning lol. Cheers Andy :-(

jojo2.0vvt

Re: starting car best way

Postby jojo2.0vvt » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:58 am

sometimes it starts perfect sometimes maybe 2-3times how long to do press the button for just a tap?

chris2008
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: megane 1.5 expression dci

Postby chris2008 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:11 am

i just put foot on clutch and press the start button (just push it in and take finger off soon as its pressed) and it fires up

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:54 am

I always advise to use clutch-start as it reduces the load on the starter motor and the battery. This is particularly important in winter or if one uses an engine/gearbox oils with increased cold viscosity..

This, however, is not the main issue in the question of Jojo2.0vvt. His engine does not start with the first revolution of the crankshaft. This should be investigated. The usual suspects are air in the fuel line, throttle body, a weak battery or poor contacts (battery terminals, starter fuse, engine ground, etc.). His engine is not very prone to dephaser failures, but it is also possible.

Jojo2.0vvt, please tell us more about the car. Everything is relevant.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

DSM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Sport Tourer.

Postby DSM » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:12 pm

I took my car to Renault this morning to show them a starting problem.

To start it, the mechanic put his foot on the brake (auto) and simply pressed the start button, then released it. There is no need to hold it in until the car fires up.

Dave

rockerdunn
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6

Postby rockerdunn » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello, sorry I can't help you with your problem but I have one of my own, and if anyone can help me it would be helpful.

When starting my car, i can only use the break to start the car now. If I press down the clutch it will not start.. is this a problem or can I just use the brake?

Thanks.

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:15 pm

rockerdunn wrote:Hello, sorry I can't help you with your problem but I have one of my own, and if anyone can help me it would be helpful.

When starting my car, i can only use the break to start the car now. If I press down the clutch it will not start.. is this a problem or can I just use the brake?

Thanks.

Common Fault. Have a look in the footwell above the clutch pedal you will find the wiring to the clutch switch broken.
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:48 pm

make sure your foot is pressed firmly on the brake pedal when pressing the start button , and keep it pressed until it starts.

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:19 pm

snowy wrote:make sure your foot is pressed firmly on the brake pedal when pressing the start button , and keep it pressed until it starts.

When using this method, make sure the car is in neutral or else it won't start up.
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

chris2008
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: megane 1.5 expression dci

Postby chris2008 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:47 pm

why couldnt renault just use the good old key to start car when making the megane, are the new meganes keycard? i think security side of things are brill but theres been a time where the keycard has failed and i cant get steering lock off and i was in a narrow road so recovery truck couldnt do any think, lucky i had a tool box in boot and got the hammer out and hit the keycard in the left corner and has worked ever since, lol

DSM
Learner Driver

Postby DSM » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:39 am

freddymercurystwin wrote:
DSM wrote:I took my car to Renault this morning to show them a starting problem.

To start it, the mechanic put his foot on the brake (auto) and simply pressed the start button, then released it. There is no need to hold it in until the car fires up.

Dave

I think you're missing the point.

So, what is the point ????

DSM
Learner Driver

Postby DSM » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:15 pm

I wasn`t offended, i'm just asking - if i have missed the point, what was the point i missed ?

I was stating the way that a Renault mechanic started my car - thus, i think, answering his question of "Shes only had the car a week whats the best way to start as we are still learning lol" . - if that is how a Renault mechanic starts it, it must be the best way to do it ?

So, i can see i answered that, but not the issue of it taking 3 attempts to start, but as i don`t know why that is i didn`t offer an answer.

Catch my drift ?

Dave

jojo2.0vvt

Postby jojo2.0vvt » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:05 am

Ok the point was do i start the car by pressing the start button, whilst brake pedal pressed, or by pressing the accelerator pedal aswell?

pocket
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Mineral Blue Megane GT dCi 150

Postby pocket » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 am

chris2008 wrote:i just put foot on clutch and press the start button (just push it in and take finger off soon as its pressed) and it fires up

i think this answers the problem for the original question. When you hold the start button in for 5 seconds the electrics come on butthe engine does not start. That is why your car isn't starting and i'm guessign its not to do with anythign thats wrong with it.

My car only says "press brake to start". i dunno about yours or if it makes a difference with the clutch. Older cars seem to say both.

Insert keycard.
foot on brake
press and release start button straight away.
engine should start.
Mineral Blue Megane GT 2.0 dCi 150
Cabasse 4x40w with 6 disk changer, Pioneer TS-Q131C speakers, Kenwood KSC-SW10 sub.

pauldkmartin
Currently Drives:: 2004 megane 2 1.4 salone

Postby pauldkmartin » Mon May 11, 2009 9:33 am

Had same problem, garage cleaned out the throttle box and worked fine ever since. Hope thet helps.

Return to “Problems / Questions”