My Glass Roof Has Just Expoloded - Has Yours?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Re: My Glass Roof Has Just Expoloded - Has Yours?

Postby Nige » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:08 pm

As for a matter of health and safety i would be demanding a replacement of the sunroof for free, and a reason as to why this had happend. Explain your child was in the car when it happened and pressure that for a car with 5 star safety rating its not protecting you very well......or your wallet!

I wouldnt stand for anything they say....its not an act of nature either. I would say the runners on the roof put stress on the glass while cornering. (Body roll)
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

~kev~
Passed Theory

Postby ~kev~ » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:07 pm

well got to post, the same thing happened to me this morning driving to work about 10 past 7 and BANG nearly jumped out of my skin .got a bit of wind noise and realized it was the glass on the sunroof luckily i had the blind closed .had a steady drive the remaining 7 miles to work .get in touch with the ins company and have to claim thru them as cant leave the car on the road it will get nicked .i put it down to the temp it has been cold -11 at worst but was a mild 4 degrees this morning i had the heater going but not full blast , anybobdy got any ideas? :(
56 1.6 vvt dym sunroof blue

Gedegumler
Currently Drives:: 1,6 Megane 2004 Estate

Postby Gedegumler » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:24 pm

I have the same roof in my car and cant help but getting a bit worried. How common is this?

Can I put something on it so at least it wont shower me in glass if this happens?

Allan

jowett69
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 03 reg 1.6VVT Dynamique

Postby jowett69 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:34 am

And whats the quote to repair it??

~kev~
Passed Theory

Postby ~kev~ » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:31 pm

jowett69 wrote:And whats the quote to repair it??

£1300 total
front sunroof cover
seal
sunroof
wind deflector and some painting
£800 parts the rest labour
ins renewell due jan touch wood aint gone up to much.

Bartuk61
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 dci

Postby Bartuk61 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:35 pm

All All,

I was driving north up the M6 middle lane doing 68 mph on cruise, when my sunroof exploded, nothing had hit the car as far as I could tell, very loud bang thought I'd had a tyre blow out, happened on 10th may 2011 @ 08:30

Anyone any ideas

~kev~
Passed Theory

Postby ~kev~ » Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Bartuk61 wrote:All All,

I was driving north up the M6 middle lane doing 68 mph on cruise, when my sunroof exploded, nothing had hit the car as far as I could tell, very loud bang thought I'd had a tyre blow out, happened on 10th may 2011 @ 08:30

Anyone any ideas

wow and i thought mine was down to the freezing weather. maybe i should of got onto renault, :(

Nige
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03' Renaultsport Megane 1.4 16v...NO FAULTS HERE! :-D

Postby Nige » Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 pm

~kev~ wrote:
Bartuk61 wrote:All All,

Anyone any ideas

wow and i thought mine was down to the freezing weather. maybe i should of got onto renault, :(

I find that by contacting some car websites such as Autocar.co.uk helps...these guys are great if you get a comeback and do sometimes make calls to Renault UK. Health and safety risk...eyes.
03' Megane 1.4 16v 3Dr, N.Ireland

Keyholder
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Mgf 1.8 (1996) ( currently in the garage )
1.9dci Renault Megane 3rd Dynamic (2003 ) - De-cat, Remap - Larger intercooler - Head ported and polished - Custom made pipe work. ( currently on teh front garden in bits )
1.6 Maxim Renault megane (56 plate ) ( ready for the scrap pile )
Currently driving Mondeo 2.0 TDCI

Postby Keyholder » Sat May 19, 2012 2:16 am

sitting on the A5 today being a wet and windy one thought id take it easy :|...

only to find my sunroof come flying off the car smashing promptly onto the a5 behind me :mad lucky enough it was 3 am in the morning on the way home after work no one behind me.. not so lucky me got soaking wet on the way home..

Anyone know or have had the front roof replaced ?? if its an all in one job and over £500 id say its time for an insurance job or scrapyard meets car job ( which is where it should of gone right from the production line ) . - and ive only just brough the pile of crap. :banghead

~kev~
Passed Theory

Postby ~kev~ » Sat May 19, 2012 5:47 am

yes mate mine cost over a grand to replace had to go through insurance nevr heard of it flying off thou.

Keyholder
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Mgf 1.8 (1996) ( currently in the garage )
1.9dci Renault Megane 3rd Dynamic (2003 ) - De-cat, Remap - Larger intercooler - Head ported and polished - Custom made pipe work. ( currently on teh front garden in bits )
1.6 Maxim Renault megane (56 plate ) ( ready for the scrap pile )
Currently driving Mondeo 2.0 TDCI

Postby Keyholder » Sat May 19, 2012 3:40 pm

yeah ive realised that the screws that bolt into the glass frame ( runners) were not secured to the rest of the frame. probably due to the sunroof staying open or something, the frames screwed together to stop the sunroof opening, and the glass was glued to the water seal who on earth thought that this would be exceptable i dont know..

But still not all bad news, my local scrappy has got a complete sunroof off a 5 door ( mines a 3 door ) and are whipping it off for me monday morning. £120 all in inc motors. considering most people are charging £50 alone for the front Glass i think thats an utter bargin. least then ill have a working sunroof.

A grand :eek thats shocking considering how Much you can get a piece of glass for nowadays.

Return to “Problems / Questions”