HELP!! MAF Location, Temp Control Sensor and More...

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

westy_26
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: MKII Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Focus STaloon Panther Black

HELP!! MAF Location, Temp Control Sensor and More...

Postby westy_26 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Basic run down of the problems on my wifes Megane.

On Cold start the car stalls, once it has been revved a while or even driven for a few minutes it's fine. After a recent service the Garage said it could be the Temperature Sensor which basically tells the ECU the engine is not warm yet and to up the revs. The garage reckons this is faulty and thus not doing it's job. - Does this sound likely or would cleaning the MAF help in any way. If so where is it located??

Drivers Window started making a slight crunchy sound when opening or closing. This was around the time we had snow last week. It then decided to pack up all together when it was raining and my wife was half an hour from home...nice. It now does nothing and the window just drops - all loose. - Could this be a regulator...if so any tips to get the door card off and to change the regulator?

Hand break plasticky grippy part is loose and coming away. - Can this part be bought and replaced? The garage tightened up the slack a little but when I drive it... sometimes I'm there for ages and I cannot release it...usually when the lights change and everyone is gunning to go...I'm sat there unable to move like a div...

1st Gear - Kangaroos... I have heard this is a known problem and it does take a knack to get used to it... but can it be fixed?

Lastly....I know you all love your Renaults...but why are they sooo bad on electrics.... The car looks great, drives nice and my wife loves it... but so far it has been niggle after niggle.... I have fixed most things but these latest things have got me stumped. :banghead

Thanks

WebCode
Rally Driver

Re: HELP!! MAF Location, Temp Control Sensor and More...

Postby WebCode » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Engine type would be useful to help answer your question..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:28 pm

WebCode wrote:Engine type would be useful to help answer your question..

Sorry it's a Petrol 1.6 model. New Shape, big butt styleee. :-)

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:38 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:With regard to the window prob it sounds more like something more mechanical rather than just the regulator.
For door card removal: https://hosted.hornstein.co.uk/Megane/MR ... GANE-7.pdf
and a bit on the regulators here: https://ray-lee.co.uk/MR364MEGANE8.pdf

Thanks but your first link was duff, probably too long for the thread, so did a bit of tweaking and came up with https://hosted.hornstein.co.uk/Megane/MR ... GANE-7.pdf. The second link was ok but I still had to trawl through the sections. Appreciate the help though.

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:23 pm

i can hazzard a guess of the stalling when cold on a 1.6....any grinding/ratling noise involved?
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 pm

andywills wrote:i can hazzard a guess of the stalling when cold on a 1.6....any grinding/ratling noise involved?

On the stalling...

No odd or strange noises whatsoever.

It had this problem before being serviced and still has it.

We had 2 of the coil packs changed, one went after the other a few months back but it made no difference as the problem was there back then, before and after.

I started it today and even if you back your foot of slightly say to a full 1K revs...it then stalls. If you take your foot off completely it stalls. After about the 3rd attempt of starting and idling it seems fine. Or if you rev it high for a good few seconds and then keep the revs up it seems fine.

After all that it's fine but the minute the engine cools down you have to go through the whole process again.

Any ideas?

I thought about cleaning the coolant and the ECU sensor with some electrical cleaning spray... would that help?

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm

does it start OK and idle OK..then with the slightest touch of the throttle it struggles and stalls before moving off ?
if so..how about starting it...leaving it idling until the dash changes the message from "Oil Level Ok" to whatever...and then try ?

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:27 am

markren2004 wrote:does it start OK and idle OK..then with the slightest touch of the throttle it struggles and stalls before moving off ?
if so..how about starting it...leaving it idling until the dash changes the message from "Oil Level Ok" to whatever...and then try ?

Nope it deffinately will not tick over unaided. It will after it's been revved for a few seconds, maybe 30 or so but if not it will stall. It can take 3 or 4 starts before it will then tick over on it's own accord.

When we put it in the garage for a service we told them the following problems:
Idling - Garage at first thought the service would fix this, but now think it might be the coolant sensor. (£60 parts n labour)
Airbag light was stuck on - this was reset.
Window was making a crunchy noise - They said it sounds like the wires maybe fraying or the whole regulator might be on its way out - we later discovered that the regulator packed up...
Handbreak - Excessive play was adjusted but the release button is still very hard to operate, it sticks so cannot release the handbreak very easily.
Squealing on start up - Fan belt was changed and it has now stopped after some settling.

They charged us £320 for a full service and the fan belt and the airbag light reset. So I'm pleased but when the wife got the car back apart from the slight squeeling the car was the same and it still stalled...so she was not really that impressed.

I can fix the window regulator but the idling is the biggest thing that is getting on our nerves. If I can fix that I will have a happy wife... LOL

MONDO9
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 VVT Dynamique 2003

Postby MONDO9 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:00 pm

If you get anywhere with this mate let me know!

What I can say is, its not your dephaser pulley! Changed mine to the latest revision and it still stalls exactlly as you have described!
I have asked the question on here regarding cold starting but no one knows!!! With the best of intentions, everyone thinks its one sensor or another and lord knows I have looked at, tested and changed sensors. Still no further forward!

Hope someone has a consise breakthrough soon.

S

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:28 pm

westy_26,

Garages tend to adjust handbrakes overly tight, which may cause various problems. The handbrake lever in Megane II is supposed to have plenty of play in it. Otherwise, the self-adjusting mechanism will not function properly!

Read p.104 of the manual, which specifies the play in the handbrake.
https://www.reno.ro/index.php?s=627826af ... 1627461169

Because of this you may be forced to pull it too hard, so it "sticks". In any case, don't force the release button -- many people broke it as a result. To ease the release you can press the pedal thus reducing the cable tension. If this trick does not work, then the cable is either incorrectly adjusted (very likely!!!) or lubrication/repairs are needed.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:01 pm

westy_26,

Did the garage clean the throttle body? It is a very popular problem -- Renault has a Technical Note about how to clean it.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

briantum
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.6vvt

Postby briantum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:38 pm

alex b,

do you know where i can find this technical note from renault about cleaning the throttle body?

Cheers

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:58 pm

This is a copy of my earlier post.

-------------------------------
Re: Throttle Body Location

Post by AlexB on Mon May 19, 2008 8:25 am
Cleaning is described in Technical Note 3799A, and I have not seen it in English. All these documents are a part of DIALOGYS program, which is not freeley available, but can be found on ebay or bittorent and alike. A quick web search returned a link in a wrong language, but the pictures may help:
https://dreamer222.narod.ru/NT/3799A.pdf
I also saw it in French, but the link is gone. So, keep searching.
3504A is also relevant

The procedure in simple: read the manual (below), disconnect the battery, remove throttle body, spray inside with carb cleaner, wipe with a special tissue, blow with compressed air, put it back, connect the battery, reset possible error codes, upon power-up (start, stop, start and wait) the throttle must perform self-calibration -- check result with Clip. This is in theory. In practice you just remove it, clean and put it back. Try cycling power -- it may force recalibration. Make sure that no fibres are left inside and read the manual for torque values etc. Keep carb cleaner away from plastics and electrics -- it dissolves some plastics.

Engines are described in the manual, see my message in our Links. The file name:
MR364MEGANE1.PDF

This is where my help ends, as my engine is a diesel.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:00 pm

AlexB wrote:westy_26,

Garages tend to adjust handbrakes overly tight, which may cause various problems. The handbrake lever in Megane II is supposed to have plenty of play in it. Otherwise, the self-adjusting mechanism will not function properly!

Read p.104 of the manual, which specifies the play in the handbrake.
https://www.reno.ro/index.php?s=627826af ... 1627461169

Because of this you may be forced to pull it too hard, so it "sticks". In any case, don't force the release button -- many people broke it as a result. To ease the release you can press the pedal thus reducing the cable tension. If this trick does not work, then the cable is either incorrectly adjusted (very likely!!!) or lubrication/repairs are needed.

Thanks but it was doing this before they adjusted it... it has slightly and I mean slightly improved since they tightened it.

The problem is my drive way is on a slope and you need to clutch brake and accelorate...I only have 2 legs... LOL

What I need to know is how to dismantle the the plastic grip to get to the mechanism to then fix the loose plasticky part...that should then give it back it's sturdiness.... and then hopefully the button release part will work better...

Any ideas on that?

westy_26
Passed Theory

Postby westy_26 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:04 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:With regard to the window prob it sounds more like something more mechanical rather than just the regulator.
For door card removal: https://hosted.hornstein.co.uk/Megane/MR ... GANE-7.pdf
and a bit on the regulators here: https://ray-lee.co.uk/MR364MEGANE8.pdf

Edit: link corrected.

Right I got the door stripped down at the weekend and the regulator is deffinately fooked.... one plastic clip is broke and as a result in that the motor jammed the wiring inthe mechanism...now it really is buggered.

Fortunately a friendly neighbour spotted my plight and works for renault... all hus hush but he got me a replacement regulator and motor for £40 brand new in a bag...

So I will be fitting it this weekend...

Wish me luck putting the door panel back together,,,

Return to “Problems / Questions”