how can i tell the turbo has been upgraded, dci 1.9?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

scrotyballbags

how can i tell the turbo has been upgraded, dci 1.9?

Postby scrotyballbags » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi guys, does anyone know if it is easy to tell if the turbo has been replaced and the new version oil feeds are on it?

I have read about the horror stories about the 2003 Meganes turbos failing and i know mine is one of the scary ones (registered Jan 2003).

Any help would be appreciated.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Re: how can i tell the turbo has been upgraded, dci 1.9?

Postby WebCode » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:47 pm

It is not easy to tell by looking at the pipes..

You could go to your dealer and get a printout of the warranty work that has been carried out.. You will however have to ask the service dept nicely if they could then get the parts breakdown..
Note however they may not do it as the parts have been replaced under warranty, and as such the breakdown info may be kept within Renault.
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

scrotyballbags

Re: how can i tell the turbo has been upgraded, dci 1.9?

Postby scrotyballbags » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:54 pm

thanks webcode. Do you think that if i can inspect the turbo and all appear to be ok for now, i could get away with just replacing the oil feeds, since these were what was identified as causing the problem (alongside oil but if the turbo is in good nick then perhaps the oil quality issue might not have affected this one). Can the turbo be easily identified as faulty or not from it's runout and visible condition?

I am no stranger to working on cars and bikes but have never had to work with turbo's before.

Return to “Problems / Questions”