Air bag warning lights!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

turbotom
Currently Drives:: Reanult Megane VVT Dynamique 1.6 16v

Air bag warning lights!

Postby turbotom » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Hello there!

I have a Megane 1.6 16v VVT, 3 door on an 04 plate. Currently done only 36,000 miles.

About 2 weeks ago, suddenly my Service light and air-bag light lit up on the dashboard whilst i was driving.

Not knowing the exact problem, i booked my car in to my local Renault dealer for them to have a look and advise accordingly.

When i went to collect the car they said that sometimes the air-bag wiring loom which is located under the drivers seat can come loose or at worse the wires can cut themselves due the seat being being moved backwards and forwards. They checked this and there wasn't any damage nor had they come loose.

They carried on to say that after plugging the car into there diagnostics machine it showed that the wiring loom itself was faulty and whilst the lights are lit up on the dash, ALL airbags become innoperative! They then said that this was a manufacturers defect as they have had to replace these before. Electrics is not there strongest point!

So i'm thinking that if this is a manufacturers fault they will replace it for free!! Wrong, they still want £275.00 + VAT to carry this out.

Has anyone else had this problem and surely this should have been a recall issue!

Regards

Tom.

cyapp10
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.9 dci

Re: Air bag warning lights!

Postby cyapp10 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi i had the same problem until last night.

Have you any water under the sound deadening under drivers seat?

i had due to ac drainage pipe bloked. Dried this out with air line and dehumidifier, used contact spary on the conector and the lights went out.

Might be worth a try Renault wanted £60 just to find the problem, this site helpped me greatly

Chris

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:21 am

You could try Renault customer services to see if they will contribute to solving a known problem even though you are out of the warranty period.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

turbotom
Currently Drives:: Reanult Megane VVT Dynamique 1.6 16v

Postby turbotom » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks guys, i will certainly check for water under my seat, need to rule that one out!

However failing that, i will get in contact with Renault customer services and see what suggestions they have.

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Postby chevin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Turby,

had a similar problem with Nov 03 1.6. Was advised my dealer that I'd moved the seat with engine on - a common Megane problem.

Its happened again - local Arnold Shark wants £ 300 to fix, but their investigation actually fixed the problem - see if you can tape up the wires under the seat.

As it seems to be a manufacturing problem (there are so many on these piles of junk) under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, the manufacturer is responsible..............not a word I could ever associate with Reggie.

A13XDT
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 54 Plate Megane Dci 86 Rush - Platinum Silver

Postby A13XDT » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:59 am

My problem was the same as Chevin.
Randomly the air bag light would flash on for a couple of seconds, then go back off.
Took it into Renault to be checked. They hooked it up, and came back to me with a prive of £289 to fix because the loom was damaged, i explained kindly to the guy that if it was damaged surely the light would always be on, and for that reason i won't pay to have it done.
That was over 3 months ago (ish) and light hasn't come on since, if it does, i will just pull the wire under the seat out and plug it back in again, as has been said on this site before.
Alex

mike123
Learner Driver

Postby mike123 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:15 pm

I had the same problem on my 06 1.6, i would come on showing the service symbol and message "check airbag" got it checked by arnold clark about 2 months ago its never come back on. They said it was a lose wire and fixed it under warranty.

Mike
Silver Facelift 2006 3 door 1.6vvt Megane Dyanmique

dfn
Currently Drives:: Mégane II 2003

Postby dfn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 am

Could it be some kind of contact problem. I have read about Fiat Stilo having the same problem. Most often nothing was wrong with the wires, but there could be some corrosion/oxide on the contacts under the seat. Could it be the same for Megane? For the Stilo it was enough to clean the contacts or use contact spray. If there is a fault with the wires themselves, then the error message should show all the time, but being a contact problem, it shows only for short periods and can then dissappear. Might be worth a check.

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 pm

The issue with the seat airbag looms is due to "micro cuts" in the underseat connectors.. This is a very well know and documented problem within the dealer network..

I have replaced loads of them under warranty. Which is fine till you have to pay.. It takes approx 45 minutes to replace each loom and requires the seat to be removed..

Of course disconnecting the connector and re-seating it may very well cure the problem, for weeks or forever. Its worth a try before commiting to new ones..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

DAZBOY66
Currently Drives:: 07 plate 1.6 16v Automatic megane cc Privilege.

Postby DAZBOY66 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:15 pm

I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM, AND IT WAS A BAD CONNECTION OF THE WIRES UNDER THE PASSENGER SEAT, THE WIRES ON MINE WERE CABLE TIED TOGETHER AND THE CABLE TIE HAD MADE ONE OF THE WIRES LOSE CONNECITION.
I TOOK THE CABLE TIE OFF MESSED AROUND WITH THE WIRES AND REPLACED THE CABLE TIE WITH A SAMALLER ONE.
HOPE THIS HELPS :cool:
DAZBOY

Return to “Problems / Questions”