supa unleaded?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Busy_Man
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 1.8 Zafira Life Auto

Re: supa unleaded?

Postby Busy_Man » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:48 am

Loads of things affect fuel consumption:

Driving style (how hard you accelerate and brake)
air con running
windows open
roof box/bars
weather
type/condition of roads possibly
hills! If your driving at 70 on a downhill section of motorway will be using less fuel than do the same going up hill!
Quality of fuel - I have noticed recently less MPG on morrisons (cheapest until yesterday) against Tesco fuel. However, the Shell garage around the corner has dropped to 97.9 :shock: :shock: for normal unleaded which is cheaper than the super markets so I'll be filling up there to see if any difference this week.

:ot why is it that 97.9 now seems to be cheap, bring back 70p per litre!
04 Plate 1.6 Dynamique

Issues to Date:
Dephaser - replaced
Cam Sensor - replaced
Start up problems, goes to two cylinders unless reved to hell - annoying, but untraced cause.
Water Leak in Boot - removed, came back, removed, came back again. Given up

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:53 am

I'm running on BP normal U/L at the moment but get worse economy figures than if I fill up at Sainsbury's with normal U/L :conf

It's good that it's coming down in price but until it gets to 70p a litre I'm not celebrating.

I recently noticed a drop off in my economy (not the Renault in our family) and put this down to me having the lights on, also heated front screen and mirrors on first thing in the morning and finally having to succumb to having the heater on.

Having the heated rear window on takes an awful lot of power, it's been estimated that all the things mentioned above can see as much as 15% redution in economy :(
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

mike123
Learner Driver

Postby mike123 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:40 pm

I fill up at Tesco, my mpg is a 31.9 and wont go any higher, I have quite a heavy right foot though and like to drive fast... Thats how I got my 3 points then :D
Silver Facelift 2006 3 door 1.6vvt Megane Dyanmique

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:24 pm

hi guys

was looking for reasons as to why my fuel economy has suddenly dropped a good 1.5mpg, to just 30.1 mpg..(mostly urban short journeys for work) and stranger you seem to have the answer as its in the last week that i have done the things you mention!!

did not know the heater used fuel!!!...plus its colder so engine taking longer to warm up, less efficiency!!!

i use shell v max, would not go back to supermarket fuel ever- my local tesco had the well publicised contaminants in not so long back, my garage had to clean out a lot of fuel systems, plus he said that french cars do not run well on supermarket fuel from work he has had to do to customers cars.

97.9p?....the cheapest round here...(bicester, oxon) is 102.9!!

the sun is about to start a pressure campaign for all big fuel retailers to match the cheapest nationally!!

no hiding behind 'we price our fuel to match the local market'- companyspeak for 'we take advantage where we can'

my engine feels smoother on the v max, and sounds sweeter.
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:18 pm

[quote="keeforelli"]hi guys

was looking for reasons as to why my fuel economy has suddenly dropped a good 1.5mpg, to just 30.1 mpg..(mostly urban short journeys for work) and stranger you seem to have the answer as its in the last week that i have done the things you mention!!

did not know the heater used fuel!!!...plus its colder so engine taking longer to warm up, less efficiency!!!

quote]
Various posts on here usually around this time of year about mpg dropping. I've read few about diesel getting denser in colder weather affecting it so not sure if this affects petrol too.

mgodden1989
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Vauxhall Astra 1.4 16v SXi Twinport in Pearl Black

Postby mgodden1989 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:08 am

my usual fuel consumption is around 34/35 on urban driving to and from the station each day. started the car cold this morning, in first frost of season, took ages to get warm, noticed fuel comsuption was down to a low 33.2ish! have been using tesco fuel but have noticed a slight improvement as said on using BP petrol which is in the tank at the moment, the car is alot smoother to drive and sounds better too!!! shell garage near me has now dropped price to 99.9p which in fact in our area is cheaper than tesco...! is not a difficult decision to choose where to go to fill up!
EX Renault Megane Driver - now drive Vauxhall Astra 1.4 SXi 55reg in Pearl Black

My old Megane

keeforelli
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 04 plate 1.416v authentique pearl black

Postby keeforelli » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:55 pm

im down to 29.5mpg now!!!!

traffic bad and need to use loads of lights/heater etc!!!....

i did reset the trip only last week so i think cos of my low mileage my average is dropping quicker than it did before.

still heavy for a 1.4!!!
1.416v 04 authentique pearl black

shakennstirred
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 2006

Postby shakennstirred » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:01 am

On normal Shell unleaded I'm getting 45mpg on the M1 at 70 mph.
Driving to from work 15 mile round trip its around 38 mpg
Does the the megane 1.6 vvt have a knock sensor?
just wondered why it has 95 ron and 98 ron on the fuel cover, if it makes no difference surely just putting 95 ron on the cover would do.

Return to “Problems / Questions”