Clock & Radio Input everytime I start the engine

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

garethhuggins

Clock & Radio Input everytime I start the engine

Postby garethhuggins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Hello,

New to the site and the world of megane's.

Have a 3 door 1.6 VVT Dyn, smart looking car but got this annoying problem of having to input the radio code and clock each time I start the engine.

Once entered - do problems but as soon as I switch off the engine and go to restart - input is required for clock & radio.

Apologies if this problem has been addressed before but I couldn't find a topic relating to it.

Looking forward to a helpful reply and best regards,

Gareth

hogwam

Postby hogwam » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:22 pm

That's a loss of permanent-live to the radio.

Typically, car radios have two 'live' inputs. One is on all the time (usually a yellow wire) and the other becomes live once the ignition is switched on (red wire).

If you've fitted an after-market radio you sometimes need to do a bit of fiddling with the wiring to get it to keep a permanent live - I know that in a Vauxhall you have to swap the yellow and red wires over as GM wire their ISO connectors up slightly differently.

And sometimes an after-market alarm or immobiliser will disable the permanent live.

But the chances are someone has had the radio out in the past and the permanent live has come loose. Not a good thing as it could short-out onto anything metal that's earthed and cause a dashboard fire, as happened in my old Golf!!

garethhuggins

Postby garethhuggins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Thanks for the reply but I've just checked the radio and all seems well.

Its a standard fitted radio from Renault.

A local garage did mention that there is two or even three "lives" supplied with a seperate fuse and probably one may have gone - I can only find the one fuse which is in the glove box.

Thanks any way - can anyone else help!

sb03
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5DCI Dynamique (2003), 4 Door Hatch

Re: Clock & Radio Input everytime I start the engine

Postby sb03 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Hello there,

Not sure if you still have this problem, but I have just joined this club to find a solution because the exact same thing has happened to my Megane. Did you get it sorted?

Regards,

A13XDT
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 54 Plate Megane Dci 86 Rush - Platinum Silver

Postby A13XDT » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:24 pm

This happened with mine when i shorted the cigarette lighter when i was cleaning it. I checked the fuses in the glovebox and one of them was gone, quick fix and all was well.
TBH, cant remember wheat fuse it was now tho, just check them for a broken one.
Alex

garethhuggins

Postby garethhuggins » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi,
Got it sorted by Renault Cardiff - some inner fuse which I would have never found.
Sold the car 2 weeks later - worst car I have ever bought - my Mother's Alegro was better.
Thanks for the reply anyway.
Gareth

sb03

Postby sb03 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the note. I had a long chat with the workshop manager at my local Renault dealer. He was quite "cagey" about the problem saying that it was either corrosion or a faulty UCH. Also said I had investigated all the basics, but that their qualified technicians should now have a look at it at £60 per hour plus VAT !!
I think not....!

I will have another look around for the hidden fuse. Apparently there is a number of them below the UCH....

I also looked into changing the car, but it is so cheap to run. Hope you are having fewer problems with your new car.

Regards,

sb03

Postby sb03 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi,

Just to let you know that I solved the problem. It was a blown fuse in the Glove Compartment. For future reference it was the fuse labelled "COUPE CONSO".

Just saved myself a fortune...Phew...!

Regards,

Return to “Problems / Questions”