How many CC owners have experienced roof leaks?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

loobylou
Currently Drives:: Megane coupe cabriolet 1.6

How many CC owners have experienced roof leaks?

Postby loobylou » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi
Just bought a 1.6 megane cc privilege last month.The first time I drove in heavy rain I noticed a few drips from the drivers front window where it meets the roof also the rear passenger window had a couple of drops od water. I took it to the nearest Renault garage for its first service and asked them to check the roof seals which they did. they adjusted the windows for a better fit and next time it rained i was relieved to not see any more drips......However I washed the car today and when I was hoovering inside after washing it I noticed water around where the passenger side mirrors join the car on the inside. It got me wondering if this will be something I will have to get used to? I've never owned a convertible before and I wondered out of all the cc owners on this website how many of you have experienced leaks? and if so were they easy to fix or are they still ongoing? Just curious .The car is a 2007 model with 11000 miles on the clock and I want to know are leaks with cc models common. I still have 2 years of warranty left thank goodness !! Would love to hear from anyone with a cc please. Thanks.

chevin
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 Dynamique, Comfort Pack/

Re: How many CC owners have experienced roof leaks?

Postby chevin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:13 am

Looby,

also have a cc, and the car leaks in on the passenger door side where the window meets the car roof as the edge returns to the horizontal.

I've just had the car serviced and forgot ask, as the car spend most of its time garaged, and parked in a multistorey, the water is never more than a thimble full.

The local cowboy outfit (main dealer) has just introduced a spray test area.........first car in......a cc.

loobylou

Postby loobylou » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:22 pm

Hi Chevin
Yes I think i'm going to have to expect the odd leak here and there on occasion. The mechanic said that the doors and windows are fully adjustable and it's just a case of adjusting it until they're all in the perfect place....its finding the perfect place that takes time....oh well I suppose I have just under 2 years to do it!!
thanks

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:26 pm

loobylou wrote:The mechanic said that the doors and windows are fully adjustable and it's just a case of adjusting it until they're all in the perfect place....its finding the perfect place that takes time

Not exactly correct.
Yes the windows are adjustable. However there a number of OTS's that exist for common water leaks on the CC.

1: Water leaking from the top corner of the windscreen. (due to incorrectly fitted rubber seals causing the drain holes to be blocked)
Fix: Renew the front A pillar rubber seal/s and ensure that the drain holes are un-obstructed. In some cases will also require the A pillar outer plastic moulding/s to be replaced.

2: Water entering around the wing mirrors
Fix: Replace the wing mirror seal/mirror
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

loobylou

Postby loobylou » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi Webcode
Thanks for that. Tomorrow (12/8/08) is going to chuck it down apparently so will be a good test for any potential leaks. I'll keep an eye on the mirror leak and if it is still leaking will go back to the renault garage. Incidentally I notice when I'm driving faster with the radio off I can hear wind noise coming from the top of the drivers window. Is it normal to hear some wind noise as its a cc and therefore not a solid fitting roof or does that indicate bad seal fitting? Im sorry to ask so many questions but I just wonder if all the CCs' produce this wind noise?
Thanks

horsleygc
Currently Drives:: 1.6v Megane Dynamique cabriolet

Postby horsleygc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Just sent my Megane cab ( 56 plate; 4500 miles) into the dealer for persistent leaks at the joint above the passenger seat, nothing to do with the door seal as most of the other emails suggest. Has leaked in the same place over the driver side just once. Dealer phoned to say the seal is broken and I must wait at least a week for a replacement seal plus checks. No courtesty car available so car-less for the duration. This is the fourth warranty problem in under 2 years, beginning to hate the thing.

bucky
Learner Driver

Postby bucky » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi

Mine been back 3 times first was a major leak which was soaking the back seat where water was leaking at the join just behind the drivers seat. I have once had the leak by the N/S wing mirror but only once. Each time I wash the car I have to run the leather on the inside of the side windows as there is always dribbles, Had all the seals checked and adjusted and don't really have any problems with rain getting in anymore unless its windy when it rains, it does get in and drip onto the dorr armrest and seat edge on both sides if its very windy. I have just decided to live with it as I guess if the wind is pushing against and moving the glass slightly then the water is going to get in. I have also been told by the dealer that the occasional dribble on the inside of the window is an acceptable leak to renault as long as it dosen't drip on the trim?!?!? How you can have an acceptable leak in a brand new car I dont' know!!

Colin
megane cc 106dci 57reg quartz

TwinAisle

Postby TwinAisle » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:06 pm

There is a much easier way I have found of stopping the CC leaking. I tried it on mine, and on several others with a 100% success rate.

It's simple - DO NOT close the roof unless the car is level - no wheels on the kerb, not parked on a slope, nor on a badly cambered road. The body is not as stiff as the roof, and if the car isn't level, the body is slightly warped, causing the roof to misalign very, very slightly. Hence the leaks.

Try it!

TA

discountrenaultparts
Currently Drives:: Megane dynamique 1.6 2004

Postby discountrenaultparts » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Guys, after speaking to my pal who works at a renault dealer, I am told they alone have had over 20 CC's in for water leaks. The repair they carrry out under warranty if under 3 years old is to replace the actual painted panel above the front windows & the 2 seals behind this. Also on some CC's the seal behind the windscreen that runs the whole length of the screen and down both a-pillers also ofter needs replaced. If your car is under 3 years old I would recommend getting them replaced before the warranty runs out as this repair costs over £300!

horsleygc

Postby horsleygc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:32 pm

discountrenaultparts has the answer. Since my original email I've been in to see them twice, as they still have the car - that's 5 weeks and counting. They (the dealer) confirmed the plan is to remove the plastic trim above the passenger door, clean out the drain holes and replace the rubber seal. All good plans etc, they broke the plastic moulding and can't get a replacement. Judging by the number of emails with identical problems, there's a rush on the part and the sub-contrator obviously isn't making enough of them !! Having spent 20 years in the spares business (different industry) I understand the problem, but I ain't sympathetic !!

discountrenaultparts
Currently Drives:: Megane dynamique 1.6 2004

Postby discountrenaultparts » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:29 pm

As above I can confirm that the last time my mate ordered this panel it took about 4-5 weeks to get!!

horsleygc

Postby horsleygc » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:58 am

I'm almost amazed and nearly pleased !! Dealer phoned last night to say the panel has arrived and the car will be ready Monday. Think I might get rid before needing to use this dealer again.
Thanks all for the emails, re-assuring to know I'm not alone out there.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:41 am

My goodness, my 57 reg 1.5dci cc after almost a year and 25 000 miles of driving has never leaked. Only once but that was my fault as I didn't close the window properly. I have avoided parking on an up hill facing up the hill and not putting the roof up on up hills, maybe that has saved me.

Maybe I am one of the "chosen ones" :lol:

meganecc
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane CC in black 1.6vvti, not long had it but so far so good,

Postby meganecc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:17 am

mine has let in the occational leak but it doesent bother me , what annoys me more is when your driving along with the window open and all the water that was on the roof is now on your lap or over the electric window buttons, that really fcuks me off,

iv noticed tho my roof only leaks if i park on a slight hill front up , if the fronts facing up the hill it will leak but if the front is facing down the hill it wont , due to the layout of the seals !

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:00 pm

meganecc wrote:mine has let in the occational leak but it doesent bother me , what annoys me more is when your driving along with the window open and all the water that was on the roof is now on your lap or over the electric window buttons, that really fcuks me off,

iv noticed tho my roof only leaks if i park on a slight hill front up , if the fronts facing up the hill it will leak but if the front is facing down the hill it wont , due to the layout of the seals !

Yeah it is a pain to open a window when the car is wet. One gets a free shower from a dripping tap.

Return to “Problems / Questions”