Better performance?

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

soterman
Advanced Driver

Better performance?

Postby soterman » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:32 pm

Hey everyone, I was wondering what can be done about the slouchiness of the 1.6 engine. Those of you who have the 1.6 version know that the car is dead below 2.300rpm and then revs up very nicely. Is that typical for a 16V engine or is it something that can be resolved/fixed with a better air filter? Or something else? I'm not looking to costly solutions like turbo and nos systems and my car is 6 months old. Any ideas?
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

omar
Pass Plus

Postby omar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:41 pm

Typical of 16v I'm afraid - not much you can do apart from drive a gear lower than you do now.
1.6vvt, 3 door, comfort pack, Tomtom, Greenstuff pads, Sony CDX-F7750 & TS-Q131c.

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:55 am

The VVT stands for variable valve timing.

With that sort of engine you are only going to get the best performance higher up the rev range when the variable timing comes in to effect.

Its works, I believe, on a similar principle to Honda's V-TEC engines :)

Hope this helps
Audi A3 Sportback: Mar 07: 1.6 SE: Tiptronic: Dolphin Grey

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:45 am

so, nothing a filter or better exhaust can cure? are you sure about the vvt? I thought the 1.6 engine didn't have variable valve timing, but variable air intake system. But then again I could be wrong
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:01 am

soterman wrote: are you sure about the vvt? I thought the 1.6 engine didn't have variable valve timing, but variable air intake system. But then again I could be wrong

Here we are from the Renault Site
The 1.6 variable valve petrol engines link verve, performance and driving pleasure

:D
Audi A3 Sportback: Mar 07: 1.6 SE: Tiptronic: Dolphin Grey

xirc0m
Learner Driver

Postby xirc0m » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:08 am

soterman wrote:so, nothing a filter or better exhaust can cure? are you sure about the vvt? I thought the 1.6 engine didn't have variable valve timing, but variable air intake system. But then again I could be wrong

- BMC - CDA filter will help

- SuperChip

- Exhaust..-- get a good extractor + etc...

- Good spark plugs like NGK - Iridium... make sure the correct gap for yur engine...

the rest you cant do much...
The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:04 am

The faster you can get the unburnt/burnt air/fuel mixture in and out of the combustion chambers, the more power you will get!

Step 1- Improve the breathing. On the 1.6VVT the standard system is not too bad. Change the OEM filter with an improved air flow filter from Jetex or Ram Air (avoid K & N like the plague). The good thing about the original system is that the air going into the fuel sytem is cooler due to a good air intake position. The cooler the air the denser it is - the more air and fuel you can get into the combustion chambers - the greater the power output. Auxilliary systems that make a lot of noise are not always the answer particularly when they are located in a position where the air is warmer than it would be elsewhere.

Step 2 - The bigger the spark the better the burn! The OEM leads will cause a larger than necessary voltage drop twixt the coils and the plug. Throw them away and get some from Magnecor. Now we'll consider the plugs. NGK ARE good. The standard plug - BKR6E is not at all bad and does the job well however the better the burn - the greater the power. Iridium plugs will cost you more than twice as much as standard (BKR6EIX) but will move you towards your optimum goal of more power. If you don't use the power increase you will find that overall the fuel consumption will improve. The plugs come pre-gapped - you should not tinker with the electrodes or you will damage the precious metal coating.

Step 3 - Getting the fuel in. The standard engine has a pre-set pressure regulator - it is a compromise - after all it cannot adjust to the demands of the engine requirements throughout the rev range. Go for a rising rate fuel pressure regulator from FSE (Fuel System Enterprises). This will improve the overall performance.

Step 4 - Getting the exhaust gas out. Both Magnex and Jetex are good makes and thoroughly test their systems. I should know as on several occassions I have supplied cars to them as 'mules' for designing the original pattern. Try and avoid twin pipe exit back boxes - the extra pipe just means extra £s unless you are a "Show and Go" merchant. I'm a "Go and No Show" merchant!

Now you can consider "chipping". However you will find that you are likely to have improved the power to around the same extent as chipping and the cost/gain from it will be marginal. If you look at Puma Racing's website that superb engine tweeker, David Baker, makes his comments known. I agree with him 100% and he agrees with me!!!

There is one other thing that should not be forgotten - the oil. You will find that a 100% genuine synthetic like Amsoil or even new Helix Ultra 100% synthetic will also help matters by reducing friction. Some oils should be avoided like the plague however.

Oh now you can go faster you need to stop faster but that's for another day!

On a final note I would like to point out that I don't like to talk about power increases with Stage 1 tuning. OEMs work to a budget and the use of less expensive ignition leads, plugs, airfilters and oils reduces an engine's optimum output. Changing the exhaust back box (or system) and pressure regulator is really stage 1.5!

NB: Don't forget that any of the above will void your warranty :shock: !
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

Pinknoise

Postby Pinknoise » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:58 pm

Just reading the above. New Meganes don't used HT leads, soo scrap point 2.

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:21 am

Pinknoise wrote:Just reading the above. New Meganes don't used HT leads, soo scrap point 2.

:oops: I'm just plain lazy and modified my standard Stage I piece to fit! However feed to coils can be important! As the coils themselves.

I wouldn't advocate scrapping point 2 as the plugs are just about the most important part of the ignition system :shock: !!!!
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:41 pm

WHat is exactly a rising rate fuel pressure regulator?

I logged on the FSE site but got lost as what part I should aim for!! :oops:

Please help!!
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

Oliver
Just Passed

Postby Oliver » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:45 am

meganeboy wrote:WHat is exactly a rising rate fuel pressure regulator?

I logged on the FSE site but got lost as what part I should aim for!! :oops:

Please help!!

Forget it, as the MeganeII has a returnless fuel supply system with the pressure regulator integrated in the fuel pump unit (that´s located in the reservoir), it´s not easy to manipulate it...
best regards
Oliver

Return to “Modifications”