Bike rack/carrier

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Bike rack/carrier

Postby 72uoba » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:17 am

Has anyone successfully fitted a strap on bike rack to the back of their Megane hatch? I'm looking to carry a couple of bikes but roofbars plus carrier for the top would be very expensive so hoping cheaper route might work ;)

GTDave
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 08 Megane 2.0DCi GT 150 Mineral Blue 3 Door Sport hatch - Tune Point - Folding Mirrors - Handsfree Card - Phone Kit

Re: Bike rack/carrier

Postby GTDave » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Nope sorry, i had a clio before and so was told I couldn't put a bike carrier on the boot. So I got a couple of roof mounted carriers.

When I then got my Megane I just got new bars... not cheep though... For the two bike carriers I got them from a website called skidrive for about £55 each for thule carriers.

Got my thule aero bars from there too for about £125 for the whole kit...

I have seen some people who have bike carriers on the boot door though so think it is possible... the best manufacturer of boot mounted carrier is a company called Saris... they do one called a "bones" which is meant to be excellent...

Hope you manage to sort something out :)

Scrooge
Currently Drives:: 2.0 litre VVC 55 plate

Postby Scrooge » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:27 am

I am a serious cyclist and do approx 6000m a year. I would not even think about putting a bike on the back. I just dont trust them. No one in my club (quick plug of https://www.ekroadclub.co.uk) uses them. I bought the renault aero bars for just over £100 from my renault dealership and thule 591 bars. Granted it wasnae cheap and used up tons of Brownie points wae the misses but they do the job and are fixed all the time to my car.

The Scroogester

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
:D :D :D :D :D
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:08 pm

Renault make a carrier that attaches to their towbars but you would also have to get the number plate carrier too. Probably cheaper to go for the roof mounted carriers.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

~kev~
Passed Theory

Postby ~kev~ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:46 pm

i had a clip on on the back of my punto and that dropped off once caused damage to my bike so never got used again lol i now have a towbar fitting 1 which was great on my corsa , now i just need to get the towbar fitted... :-(
56 1.6 vvt dym sunroof blue

Return to “Parts and Accessories”