Stickies for fuel consumption

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mark_t1980

Postby mark_t1980 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:19 pm

My 80hp 1.5 dci usually gives me around 57-59mpg doing my usual run to work which involves getting out of the city and then a few country roads (or a bit of motorway, depending on the traffic). My brim to brim calculation seemed to agree with this (59ish).

Looking at the replies though I think I may have a record - the highest I've ever had from the trip computer is 74.5mpg on a long motorway run. Then again, that could just be those electrical gremlins again :P Never managed that since and it's usually telling me I'm getting around mid-low 60's on a long run (which seems to be mostly affected by having either a tail or head wind on the motorway).

BigAL

Fuel Consumption. What's going on !

Postby BigAL » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Have just bought my second brand new DCi 106 5dr hatch. My 1st was an '05 plate also from new.

My main reason for buying the exact same car was the fuel consumption as it is used for business (driving tuition).

To my horror it is only returning just over 50mpg, without using A/C, & I have brim tested it, which incidentally concurred with the digital read-out.
The '05 plate was returning over 60mpg sometimes with regular use of A/C.

Am booking the car in to be checked, though have little faith in their ability to diagnose let alone solve the mystery !

BigAL :conf
driving@allanbanks.co.uk
Love the car,however loads of technical probs!

30something
Learner Driver

Postby 30something » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 am

Winter temps, winter diesel and a new tight engine will be the reason.
Let's face it though 50mpg is still amazing for such a capable car.
Took mine for a run to the coast this weekend, 100 mile round trip on mixed roads - 68mpg.

BigAL

winter diesel ?

Postby BigAL » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 pm

Thank you for your empathic response '30something' & my apologies for sounding sceptical but 'winter diesel' ?
Is this a new innovation, excuse the tautology but needed emphasis.
Have never noticed a marked seasonal difference in mpg, other than using aircon in the summer.
My '05 plate did 70000 miles of pupil 'use & abuse' in 2 & 1/2yrs almost all at 60+mpg even from new.
Surely '57 technology has not altered the engine to produce a 15% mpg reduction, cos they sure as hell have not altered their brochure specs.

Anyway have booked the car in next tues for this & 2 other items so will let you know the outcome.

BigAl [/list][/i]

MBee

Postby MBee » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:10 am

Not a bad result yesterday.
Reset the computer when I got on the motorway.
40 motorway miles followed by 14 on an A road followed by 3 on small roads.
Average consumption 81.6 mpg!!!!

19.dc1 56 plate.

If only the bloody air con and radio worked!

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:05 pm

The best I have seen is 62.4mpg. Our megane cc took us from tonbridge to inverness + getting lost = 738 miles on one tank :cool:

When doing town driving I usually get around 46-53mpg depending on how late I am to work. But it still gives me close to 600 miles a tank meaning filling up 3 times a month. (includes random trips to brighton and chichester)

My fiance`s clio with the same 1.5dci engine does around 650 miles a tank so she only ever fills up once a month.

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:39 pm

I have seen 99.9 mpg on the trip computer, having reset filling up and driving steadily. 2.5 hours later (at the end of the same journey) it was down to low 70's, and by the time came to fill again was around the usual 60mpg.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Celticking
Passed Theory

Re: Stickies for fuel consumption

Postby Celticking » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 am

150 GT DCi does about 45mpg give or take 1 or 2 irrespective of conditions or driving style

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:54 pm

46.6 average, over 1235 miles from Alicante to here.. at average of 72.3mph from my 1.9DCi 120..

Our 1.9DTi Scenic with 153,000 miles did, 41.3 on the same journey..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

smogga
Passed Theory

Postby smogga » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:44 pm

That just makes me want to :cry .I only get 30/40 mpg on a motorway.driving around city i only get 25mpg.is this mpg about right for a 2.0 petrol 3dr?

Redshoes
Currently Drives:: 57 Reg Megane Hatch DCi 106 Dynamique + Comfort Pack : Extreme Blue

Postby Redshoes » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi All - espicially BigAL :grin

I moved from a 53 1.6 VVI Petrol to a 57 1.5 DCi 106 for just this reason - fuel consumption. Even at the daft differential Diesel is selling at nowadays, should be worth a punt, as we do g'teed min of 16,000 per year.

Agree that you can only rely on a 'brim to brim' figure to sort out your mpg. Cptr mpg readout can only be a guide - Renault don't even tell you what it is supposed to represent. The 53 cptr seemed to show a sort of weighted average, with more emphasis being put on your most recent miles. Over 68K miles managed 38 mpg.

Couple of thou on the new Diesel job. Disapointed at the 1st refll, but 2nd up'd average to exactly 50 mpg overall, so - getting better. Conclusions: Cptr seems to be more precisely to reflect Dist / Fuel Used = Figure; town is good, +10 mpg over Petrol; country is very good; motorway is where the disappointment comes in - the 6th gear is just not high enough to produce the economy it should. Presume all gearing is aimed at the tests for the Marketing 'fuel figures'. Cruise control or my right foot seem to yield the same results.

Be very interested to hear your ongoing thoughts. MY TIP FOR BEST MPG: let the wife drive!! Over many years I have driven every type of vehicle you care to mention, IAM member, etc, etc; BUT you can still tell if ever my wife drives more mileage than me on 1 particular tankful. The mpg always hops up!!! :evil: Can't really explain it, except she short-shifts everthing!!

One last for any Diesel Megane owners: the new 57 job has a tendancy to pull strongly when you slow-down to overrun. That is: slow down, slow down, then feet off pedals - instead of slowing to a stop (or stall!!) it'll take-off at 900 rpm-ish, even uphill - propelling you into the back of the queue, wall, or whatever. Don't think that does the mpg any good - and it makes slow speed manoevering tres tricky. Asked the dealer: "Normal anti-stall, sir; to be expected". 53 petrol didn't do it, nor any other vehicle I've ever driven of whatever fuel, either! ATB - Redshoes
Redshoes
57 Reg Megane Hatch DCi 106 Dynamique + Comfort Pack : Extreme Blue

stirl
Passed Theory

Postby stirl » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:51 pm

hi there, ive got the 1.9 dci it averages 50 ish about town and any where between 65 to 70 on the motorway. :)

scoop
Advanced Driver

Postby scoop » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Well since I freed my binding brakes my mpg has gone back up. I was down to 33 but back up to 36 37. My Mrs's Laguna only gets 37 and its a 2.0 turbo diesel. Think her brakes may be binding on too, however its a company skip so hopefully they will change the car for her!!!
Kind Regards
Scoop

04 Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT 16V / Cherished plate / In Black 5 door / Lexus lights, Mint!!
"Shut Ya mouth and give Ya Arse a chance"!

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Yo scoop, how do you know if you have binding brakes and how did you fix them?

scoop
Advanced Driver

Postby scoop » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:21 pm

They told me last time my car was in that my brakes would need replacing for next mot. When i stripped the rear ones down you could tell they were sticking on. All it needed was a good clean up a large hammer and some WD40 and some grease on the the moveable parts and its been great ever since
Kind Regards
Scoop

04 Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT 16V / Cherished plate / In Black 5 door / Lexus lights, Mint!!
"Shut Ya mouth and give Ya Arse a chance"!

Return to “Problems / Questions”