Renault Megane CC - expert advice needed

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

seligmanc

Renault Megane CC - expert advice needed

Postby seligmanc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi there,

I have been looking all over the Internet and found very mixed reviews about the reliability of the Renault Megance CC (I am looking at getting the 1.6L).

Does anyone know how it rates from a reliability perspective compared to a BMW 3 series convertible (year: 2000ish) or a Vauxhall Astra Twintop (2006) - since it is between these 3 cars I am looking at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Charlie

PS - I know you can be lucky or unlucky with cars so was wondering if there are any sites that compare large samples of reliability (e.g. like https://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/ - but unfortunately this doesnt go down to the level of the Megane CC).

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:38 am

I don't have a CC, but I did hear that they're supposedly the most relaible of the folding hard tops of that size and class. I have no idea about BMWs, but wonder if an 8 year old car will really be as reliable as something much newer coming with a manufacturers warranty.

Is specification important to you? I chose a Megane over an Astra since they didn't do one that could do ~60mpg with a sunroof, all-round electric wondows and a trip computer - I could have 1 of the 3, compared to the Megane where I get all three!

Read up about the 1.6 engine on the owner problems section - I don't know much about it.
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

seligmanc

Postby seligmanc » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks Gavin for the comments. Good to hear it is supposed to be one of the most reliable.

WhatCar implies it is reliable but other sites seem to contradict.

Any other views anyone?

Cheers,

Charlie

rach74
Learner Driver

Postby rach74 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:30 pm

hi seligmanc

i have an 07 1.6vvt privilege cc and its been perfect, the only thing i would change is before i had a meg saloon 1.9dci diesel, and if i got another cc i would go for the 1.9 engine as because the cc is such a heavy car its a tad sluggish for me and i only get around 28mpg but apart from that couldnt complain

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:51 am

The roof has does suffer from water ingress on some models and there were some trim issues. The latest CCs don't have the issue with the 1.6VVT engine but it does feel under powered for this car but the Astra also suffers from this problem.

hilly5384

Re: Renault Megane CC - expert advice needed

Postby hilly5384 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:10 pm

hi mate ive been looking in depth at CC across the market and this is what ive found:

new a4 cc: very good build, no leeks, good range of engine (but watch the price) also doesnt come with alot if you want it, it will cost you.

Astra CC: the 2.0 petrol is a very good engine, but suffers from some roof leekage on the whole not bad but vauxhall have know got a grease which they say must be applyed 6 monthly. good extras the design is a good trim level.

bmw: cant fault how ever if you ever need 4 seats you might be stuck. again like the A4 you have to pay for what you want.

focus CC: stay away from them very lumpy and under powered, and comes with a free swiming pool if it rains.

207cc: good little cc but not alot of room, also the steering feels a little washy.

307 cc: a very good nippy cc, though a little more money than the ford and vauxhall.

eos: i got in the car and got back out, its got to be one of the worst CC's ive ever been in. (just my taste)

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:49 pm

we are on our second CC, both 2.0 petrol. No reliability issues at all, but pretty low mileage. The only problem we had with the 1st one was a roof leaks. Started out pretty minor and each time solved by cleaning the seals and applying the "magic grease" unfortunately after three goes the dealer insisted on replacing all the seals with new and thats when the problems really started! frequent larger scale leaks then followed (although still nowhere near the stories I've heard of Eos and Focus CCs!) Every effort to fix them made them worse until the dealer finally agreed to a replacement new car (with agreed betterment cost to go from 2 yrs back to new) We've had the new one for 9 months now and all good (touch wood) not even a drip has entered the car and no problems whatsoever.
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:57 am

I got a 1.5dci megane cc and so far the only problem I have had is the amount of attention you get when the roof is down :cool: .

I think there was a problem with the earlier models (before 53 reg) but as far as I know they have rectified the problems.

Another plus point is that the megane cc is one of the only convertibles to get a 5 star ncap rating so you should feel safe.

PaulUK
Currently Drives:: CC Dyn in gorgeous gun metal on a 57 plate.

Postby PaulUK » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi there guys - I own a CC 1.6 Dyn on a 57 plate registered in Oct 2007. My car has covered 7200 absolutely faultless miles.

My only regret is that I did not go for a larger engine because the 1.6 is a bit starved of power and only does 28mpg !! I would definitly recommend the 2 litre or go for one of the larger Turbo diesel variants all of which are a more exciting drive !! I chose mine because I thought I was being green !! But alas I made the wrong choice I have to drive quite hard just to get to 70 mph and once there the car lacks for what I would call emergency or overtaking power. Dont get me wrong I am completely in love with my CC but after my 3 years finance is over I will definitely have another - but with a better engine choice !!

I hope this makes sense for you and on the matter regarding leaks I have only had 2 drips so far so its all looking good so far - this is my first CC so I was very sceptical at first - but my megane with the exception of a minor suspension problem has been an absolute star and helped me fall in love with driving again !!!

I hope this helps and good luck PauUK

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”