Indicator and brake light problems.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

smogga
Passed Theory

Indicator and brake light problems.

Postby smogga » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:09 pm

When i press the brake pedal and indicate the indicator flashes fast and alternates between the brake light and indicator.any ideas what the problem could be.

john m

Postby john m » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Sounds like a bad earth, if you have recently replaced the indicator or brake bulb it may be in the wrong way, try taking it out and turning the bult an putting it another way

smogga
Passed Theory

Postby smogga » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:46 pm

It was doing it before i changed the bulbs.i changed the bulbs to see if that would sort out the problem but it hasnt.where would i check for a bad earth?

KIB

Postby KIB » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:21 am

Sounds like a conection fault. Usually a bad earth conection.
Check the connections to the light when the multi plug is diconnected. If there is any rust etc on either terminals then that'll be enough to cause the fault.

smogga
Passed Theory

Postby smogga » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:52 am

okay cheers ill try that in the morning.

robbieprince
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5 dCI, 06

Re: Indicator and brake light problems.

Postby robbieprince » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi All,

Frequent visitor to the site, but unfortunately this time I need some advice.

I am now experience a similar problem as to what is identified by the original poster.

I was aware that my indicator was flickering faster when the brake pedal is pressed, however this morning I was alerted by a colleague to the fact that my brake lights are also flickering/flashing.

I am wondering what could cause the issue, where to check (i.e. in this thread is mentioned Multi Plug - where is it?) I am a complete idiot when it comes to cars but once I locate what I'm looking for not to bad at fiddling with it.

Vehicle is obviously a Megane II, 2006 1.5 dCI

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Located behind the rear cluster. From memory there are two sort of 3 pronged screws to remove. The entire cluster comes off such that you can get access to the bulbs. Other than that, prise off trim/carpet near to those locations and you will be able to see the wiring.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

nightster1
Currently Drives:: Megane ii dynamique 1.4 16V. Bought new in 2003

Postby nightster1 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:56 pm

davelowe wrote:Located behind the rear cluster. From memory there are two sort of 3 pronged screws to remove. The entire cluster comes off such that you can get access to the bulbs. Other than that, prise off trim/carpet near to those locations and you will be able to see the wiring.

Hi folks, this is my first post, so please bear with me. I bought my Megane new in 2003 and now its done 45K miles. The rear light clusters are partly corroded and causing the problems outlined in this thread. I cleaned them by light filing and gave them some WD40. This was a temp fix. My Question is:- Are new clusters available online and if so can someone guide me to the correct site.

Many thanks from Cork, Ireland!!!!

mikedry

Postby mikedry » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi
I know this is an old post but I am having the same issue.
I have changed all the bulbs on both sides and checked the multiplugs and all ok. I have found the earth and sanded down to bare metal and still the same problem.
Any other ideas?

Return to “Problems / Questions”