Supermarket Fuel (Diesel)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Celticking
Passed Theory

Supermarket Fuel (Diesel)

Postby Celticking » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:42 am

A brand new Tesco opened 2 mins from the house, so I moved from using Shell diesel to tesco in my Megane GT DCI. Found the car to be sluggish and also was getting about 5MPG less!!!!!.

Moved back to shell this week and have noticed a big improvement in performance and have gained an extra 60 miles distance through a full tank.

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:49 am

Shell is the fuel of the Gods... also why Ferrari have their own shell garage on the track! :D

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:42 am

None of my many Renault Diesels has ever run well on Tesco's fuel, likewise Sainsbury's City Diesel :(

Tesco's fuel is supposed to be supplied by Esso, and Sainsbury's is by Greenergy.

I find Asda and Morrisons fuel to be better, Asda's used to be supplied by Mobil (BP took them over) and Morrisons is Texaco, however both the Laguna and the Clio run the best on Shell Diesel Extra; I've found very little difference between that and V-Power Diesel, but I always use Millers Diesel fuel treatment which improves the Cetane rating of the fuel anyway.

Finaly cracked the 50mpg barrier yesterday in the Laguna :biggrin:
Had a trip down to Llangollen and Welshpool, a 200 mile round trip and it averaged 51.3mpg according to the trip computer, that icluded some very spirited running over the horseshoe pass.
:driving
The best I've ever had before was 46.9mpg,
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

BurntCarcus
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Grand Scenic 2008 1.9Dci (130)

Postby BurntCarcus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:27 am

I once thought that anyone that said certain diesel was better than others was "away with the fairies" But ive noticed it myself. Put a tank of bp Ulitimate diesel and seen a 6 mpg increase from using sainsburys city diesel. Also pulls far better. Pity its way more expennsive :cry:
Back from Zafira hell....... Good to be home. Number 3 scenic bought and "im lovin it"

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:56 pm

I always go for price when filling up never realised there could be so much difference in performance and mpg. Might give it a go and see how i do. Doing 20 odd 000 a year would make a difference, especially with prices as they are. Noticed a place in Liverpool last week selling bio diesel at i think 80 something a litre, presume you can't just stick it in without adjustments?
Nice to see you out this way Iain i was up the pass yesterday with the dog, nice to see summer is here at last. :cool: Well for wales anyway!!

gavinc
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Silver 2004 15 dci

Postby gavinc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:57 pm

:( Igot diesal from tesco southport runs crap and my emisson lights staying on what you all think 15dci 2004..
silver 15 dci no mods as yet//

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Must say i use Tesco petrol quite regular and never had any problems with lights or running.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:52 am

nickbell69

Be very careful with Bio Diesel!
Unless you can be sure that it's only a 5% blend (5% Bio/95% mineral Diesel) stay clear as it could potentially damage the seals in the fuel injection system. :(

Renault along with a lot of other manufacturers only allow for 5% of what they call "Bio Elements" to be in Diesel without the warranty being effected :(

Had a great run down into Wales though on Saturday, the weather was great. Temperature in the car was showing 15C :shock:
What month are we in again? :o
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:04 pm

My own experience was with city Diesel at Sainsburys for a single tank. I noticed ~8% worse economy, although the performance seemed about the same. Even with 5p/l off it cost more per mile. I fill up with Shell, normal, extra or V-power depending upon what's on offer.

I wonder what difference the waxing agents make to fuel economy, and in which fuels they're most prevailant. For example, do they put them in at the garage if the weathers turning cold, and all the same, or leave V-power with a reduced amount?
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:31 pm

I always try to use Shell unless i'm drastically low and have no other option. And even then I only put in about £5-10 to get me to somewhere where I know I can get shell.

I've found the following on my car:
Esso: engine response was dire.
BP Ultimate: On par with Shell standard fuel.
Texaco: As a standard fuel it's not bad but Shell is better.

As for costs, local Tesco is very similar if not the same in costs as Shell.

I do try for Shell Extra where possible but it's a rarity in cambs. It's either Shell normal or Shell V-Power. And I'm not paying for Shell V-Power Diesel.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:58 pm

[quote="IainMW"]nickbell69

Be very careful with Bio Diesel!
Unless you can be sure that it's only a 5% blend (5% Bio/95% mineral Diesel)

Not sure what it was i was passing on the opposite side of road at the time. I'll check it out next time i'm up that way. Don't think i'd be brave enough to try it though, the car costs enough to run without the engine going bang :cry:
As for the weather you should get to Wales more often its always like that here, we are starting to forget what cold weather looks like :lol:

catherine c

Postby catherine c » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:13 pm

I thought I was imagining the better performance from Shell diesel. I've noticed that my Megane (06, 1.9 dci dynamique) runs much smoother on Shell fuel. Also noticed the same thing with Shell petrol versus Sainsbury's in my old 53 Clio 1.4 Dynamique. They just seems to drive much better withy Shell fuel. I'm not going entirely mad after all.
Catherine

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Well i've used 2 full tanks of Shell diesel now and have to say on both tanks i've had about 3mpg less than before when i filled up with supermarket fuel. Appeared to be no difference in performance either. So back to Tescos to see if i can get it back up :?
Also wondering how accurate the computers are, before i filled with shell i was running it as low as i could, computer gave me 53 miles left in tank before it went blank. Did 45 and pulled in to fill up to be told no diesel until tanker arrived :shock: Big panic now as i knew nearest station was more than 8miles away :cry: Ended up doing in total 67 miles before i found next petrol station. Obviously i was glad that computer was not that accurate and in the right direction too :-)

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:41 pm

nickbell69 wrote:Must say i use Tesco petrol quite regular and never had any problems with lights or running.

you don`t want to be putting petrol in your dci now do you? lol :no

nickbell69
Advanced Driver

Postby nickbell69 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:49 pm

you don`t want to be putting petrol in your dci now do you?

There's always one isn't there? :cool:
If i now happen to do that in the next few days it will obviously be your fault OD.

Return to “Problems / Questions”