honest opinions boys...

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kylehimself
Pass Plus

honest opinions boys...

Postby kylehimself » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:58 pm

right guys...

for a while ive been lookin' to modify my car. ive saved up a bit of money now and have went about gettin' quotes.

Charles Hurst Body Shop Quoted me £120 to code the bumper molds and rub strips... seems fair enugh, good infact almost to good i think. another body shop quoted me £400 + VAT seems ruff!

in Charles Hurst Renault brochure it says the series 2 spoiler is £180 bought and fitted. so i called up and was told they don't fit them, they just send them to a local body shop. the spoiler would be £125 + whatever the body shop charged to fit it. so i called the Charles Hursts own body shop assuming they would be the best to do the job and the best price since i was told £120 for the coding. i was quoted to paint the already primed spoiler and fit it would be... £150 + £25 if it needed a bonding kit.

finally i called Pentagon Glass Tech to price my 3 rear windows for tinting. i got quoted £175. that seems ok since there product is supposed to be much better than any other tint available and they claim to take much more care and do a better job. which i believe to be honest.

i just want to know... does anybody think any of these prices are fair? or are these guys tryin' to take me on just cause im 19 and therefore must be stupid?

any feedback would be great. cheers guys!

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:01 pm

colour coding for £120 seems good to me :) yeah i got quotes of about £250 from a few people.

does that include the removal and refitting of the bumpers / door strips?

are you getting them done smooth finish or textured as they are now?

also (sorry if you already know this) - a detailer i know from another forum who does this kind of thing reckons you can have probs with painting them if you use back-to-black type products - due to the silicon left on the bumper i think - means the paint lifts off? think you have to treat them first to get it removed before the paint will stay?

i dont know about the prices for window tints - am looking into this myself with another company that have had good recommendations - they come to your house to do it:

http://www.cappuccinotints.co.uk/

i am awaiting a quote from them
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:04 pm

also - some info on others who have had their tints done - got some ideas of prices too:

http://meganesport.net/community/showthread.php?t=10929&highlight=window+tints
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:18 pm

£120's not bad for getting your bumpers colour coded, i got quoted £130ish. (still ant dont it yet)

£150 is a good price for getting a colour coded spoiler fitted.
Think abotu it, 1 hours job - £50/hr, Spray £40, cost of spoiler £60. so its all good

Tints...well i got my tints for £140 (all of them) from a company called Smart Tints (in derby). They do all the tints for Toyata, so their quality is toyota approved - if that mean anything here!!??? :-P

but generally, your on a winner.
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:57 pm

i have just had a quote from http://www.cappuccinotints.co.uk for £150 for all four side windows and rear window at 35%

he comes out to your house to them too.

am asking about a group buy discount also - although i just realised you are in belfast. we have a few people up north hoping to get em done - may end up being there that we do em?

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:04 am

£150 is a good price for getting a colour coded spoiler fitted.
Think abotu it, 1 hours job - £50/hr, Spray £40, cost of spoiler £60. so its all good

nah mate, what i mean is they want me to pay £150 after i buy the spoiler, they want £125 for the spoiler. so altogether £275. just incase u picked me up wrong.

found out that the £120 for the coding was well off. there lookin' nearer 300 now. Hursts Renault can never make up there minds. northern ireland is usless lol.

ano this is off the subject altogether. but today i noticed my hand brake button comes out!?! is this sposed to happen for like repairing reasons or anything??? and also the hand brake grip is pretty loose, moves alot when i lift it to apply it or just wiggle it about. anybody else have that problem?

CanadianMike
Learner Driver

Postby CanadianMike » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:17 am

meganechick, if they were to give a discount for a group booking on tints, and the price is good enuff for me to drive there, i may do it, ill also have 2 mates that would want it done too i think, ill have to double check with em but they were wanting theirs done
1.4 52 reg Dynamique

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:55 am

CanadianMike wrote:meganechick, if they were to give a discount for a group booking on tints, and the price is good enuff for me to drive there, i may do it, ill also have 2 mates that would want it done too i think, ill have to double check with em but they were wanting theirs done

lol i initially thought "drive from canada??" then read ur signature ;)

where abouts are you and your mates from? yeah would be good to get a group discount if we can.

did you want all 5 windows doing? i do - although slightly concerned about the fronts being illegal - seems most people get away with it though?

i would like the 35% tint all round :)

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:55 pm

35% is legal. but its the limit.

kylehimself - £300!!!!! F that!!! just for a spoiler!!!?

you coudl but half of a megane form round here hahha lol

i wouldn't do it, but i haven't got a spoiler?!
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:35 pm

f**ck that sounds about right iceman. serious the dealers and body shop guys over here are wild. they will happily take all you have and more if you will pay up. i blame it on wee max power heads who watched fast and the furious one to many times and decided they wanted to get a crap body kit and big exhaust on there wee 1 ltr saxo's so they look cool. they dander into these shops lookin' a quote. the sprayer knows there a mug who knows nothin' and over prices them, i think body shop guys think im one of these nobs.

sorry if my rant annoyed any ex saxo owners who thought doin' them up was cool... nothin' gets my goat more than that lol :wink:

got my car booked into pentagon glass tech for wednesday the 5th. gonna sting me £175 for a midnight tone tint on the back 3 windows. pretty dear but these guys do the best job you will find. been recomended by a few people who where over the moon with the job they done :cool: check them out.

https://www.pentagonglasstech.com/

one more thing, i dunno if its different over in mainland, but my bro had his front two windows tinted 35%. P.S.N.I. (police service northern ireland) pulled him over and made him strip the tint at the side of the road... messy messy job it left.

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:03 pm

yeah the front tints are already tinted to a few % under the legal limit so adding a tint on top will make them illegal.

most seem to get away with it - depends on what they are like in your area - they can make you remove them on the spot but apparently only after testing them with their machine?

not sure what the fine is though if you have them? and if you are caught reoffending then not sure if they come down on you heavily. mmmm what to do hey?

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:17 pm

might aswell go for it i guess. i wouldn't over here like. the police have nothin' bettter to do with there time so they pull people for stupid crap. i got flagged down one night for drivin' with my front fogs on... apperntly its illegal so fair enough... but like everbody does it and really who cares.

steve the postman
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 1.5 DCI 86 EXTREME TUNING BOX
DAB DIGITAL RADIO/DVD PLAYER
HID HEADLIGHTS
PIAA HORNS
GT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Postby steve the postman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:37 pm

probably just the people your dazzeling
do you use the rear one at the same time
if it ain't foggy put em out

Basenji
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 hb

Postby Basenji » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:03 pm

kylehimself - can you add some pictures of kit proposals ?
That might be helpful.
zdrówko
Meggie slightly customized http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_K0VbKYGs

kylehimself
Pass Plus

Postby kylehimself » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 pm

what exactly is it you wanna know besenji? body kit info?

just tonight i was talkin' to some friends. the guys pentagon who where gonna do my tinting, turns out they trained a guy i know. hes gonna do the same job for £80 instead £170 i was shown his work and he does a good job.

also got the hold of a great body shop painter who used to work for wrights who are great but very expensive hes gonna smooth the bumper molds and paint for £100 sheets. after finding such a good and well priced painter i think my dreams of turning my car into a RS replica may go ahead!!

Return to “Modifications”