Engine Fades after starting and runs unevenly

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dai16

Engine Fades after starting and runs unevenly

Postby dai16 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:08 pm

This is my first post on this forum, and I would appreciate any help anyone can give. A few days ago I had a problem starting the car and since then have experienced problems with the engine cutting out. The problem is less when warm, but if I stop and then re-start the problem always comes back. The engine rums for about 10 seconds at normal revs, then the revs just gently fall and it stops. This happens even if I have my foot on the accelerator at say 2000 revs, it still just dies on me. When driving in this condition it feels uneven and similar to a misfire.

I have a Megane II EXpression , 1.6litre 16VVT

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Welcome to the club

There are a number of issues that afflict the 1.6VVT in relation to starting and idle. You need to investigate the following.

Coil Packs
TDC Sensor
Dephaser Pulley

In that order

It may cost you a diagnostic fee but your Renault dealer (if they are any good?) will be able to do this to save you lots of guessing. A good independant garage should also be able to diagnose the first 2 if not all three.

:cool:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

dai16

Postby dai16 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:42 pm

I'll book it in for a diagnostic check then. I've found a few posts about a TDC switch(?) and wonder whether it is worth checking and cleaning this first.
Megane II Expression 1.6 Litre 16VVT 5 door Climate Control 2003

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Forgot to mention that there is also an issue will the injection system?

Some members have posted about the need to have it reprogramed to cure running problems. This is a Renault only fix I think??? :hmm
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

redcbr600fs
Passed Theory

Engine dying!!!

Postby redcbr600fs » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Mine does exactly the same, :-( i even showed the mechanic and got him in the drivers seat to experience the fault himself, i then left them the car, which they kept for a week because after pulling it in to work on, the fault has stopped. :evil: And because the fault doesn't show up on any diagnostic test, they can't order the parts they think it is, :-( So if yours gets fixed please let me know what they replaced....cheers
Mégane (52) 1.6 16vvt Dynamique, Sport Hatch, Black, Comfort pack.17" Alloys

UKHotShot

Engine dying!

Postby UKHotShot » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 am

redcbr600fs

If your suffering engine cut out, especially when the vehicle is cold, the problem would not be active as much if the vehicle is being stored in a garage / workshop overnight, hence, they would not be able to experience the problem.

I am having the same problem with my wife's megane, hence joining this site to find the answer.

Do you garage it at night?? if not, have you the facility to when its colder.

dai16

Postby dai16 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:23 pm

No it doesn't go in a garage, and the problem is still there when the engine is hot. Yesterday I couldn't start it and after a jump start from the AA, they also did a diagnostic check (the warning light on the dash is now permanently on). The result of the diagnostic was that there is a problem with the camshaft sensor. I presume this to be the TDC sensor referred to in other posts. Anyway the car is booked into Renault Swansea next week for them to do a diagnostic and fix the problem...

dai16

Postby dai16 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:25 pm

Well, I picked the car up from the garage on Tuesday. They replaced the TDC sensor and loom, after a diagnostic check - seems to have done the trick but I can't help feeling that something else will go wrong soon.

Gordon
Learner Driver

Starting/cutoff at low revs

Postby Gordon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:37 pm

Well, you have probbly sorted it by now. I had same problem exactly (see my remarks under Gordon in Aug/Sept this year under this heading.

I got onto Renault UK and they confirmed that they new about this and it was a recall (although my dealer had not told me). The recall was to reset the injectors on the computer ad fix a fault on the TDC sensor?

They did this for me at no charge and all is ok since then (cross fingers!)

I love my Megane, it's shape and it's style - but as a pensioner on limited budget I don't know how long i can keep maintaining it as it is getting costly
for the most simple jobs (see my posting 1 Dec 07 under heading change lightbulb)

Regards

Gordon

dai16

Postby dai16 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:59 pm

Thanks Gordon, I feel the same about my Megane, but it is getting expensive to maintain and reliability is more of an issue than I have known with cars since the bad old days of the 70's and 80's. You mention a recall, I can't help feeling that this expensive (£170) repair would not have been necessary if the car had been recalled beforehand. Not sure whether its worth getting worked up about it but if you have any more details, I might just speak to the garage about it.

Gordon
Learner Driver

Engine cut-off/stalling

Postby Gordon » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:31 am

Dai16

This was definately the problem when I took mine in August this year. There were no safety actions for recall, but I have a copy of Renaults Quality Campaigns and Renault themselves advised me to take it in and it was cured, like yours, FREE.

The operation consisted of reprogramming the injection computer and Reanult paid for it!!

Email me separately to my address "iakovos@tiscali.co.uk" and I will send you the Renault proof of this! Then I suggest you show that to your dealer or contact Renault UK to try andget some money back.

When I spoke to Renault they admitted it was an ongoing fault with many Meganes around age of mine '53 and that this would cure the problem - it did! my dealer charged me nothing.

Regards

Gordon

sydsnot

Postby sydsnot » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:58 pm

hi am new to the forum, could u send me the proof aswell, as my gf's megane has been playing up and has the same symptons, its a 52 1.6 16v with only 30000 miles on the clock.....

snowy
Just Passed

Postby snowy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:11 pm

did any of you experience less than average fuel consumption, and a lack of power? not anything drasticly wrong with mine, i just feel its weaker than other 1.6 cars ive had.

Ozzy82
Learner Driver

Postby Ozzy82 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:27 pm

did any of you experience less than average fuel consumption, and a lack of power? not anything drasticly wrong with mine, i just feel its weaker than other 1.6 cars ive had.

I also own a 1.6 on a 03 plate. my fuel consumptions on inner city 'A' and 'B' roads is about 30mpg. I also think that the mpg depends on, (amongst other things), where you fill up. I find Shell unleaded to really help my mpg, whereas Tesco's petrol gave me a lower mpg :?

sydsnot

go to http://www.renault.co.uk/MyRenault/Login.aspx and register your gf's car on there. It will tell you if there any recalls on her car
1.6 VVT Dynamique, 2003, Ottoman Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Auto lights/wipers, Pioneer TS-Q131c, Shinyautos.com Blue LED interior lighting, ITG filter, HID Lights (Cheers Andy!!)

Gordon
Learner Driver

Engine fades after starting and runs unevenly.

Postby Gordon » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 am

Hello everyone

As members keep emailing me with similar problems and asking about my 'recall' and the subsequent curing of the problem I am detailing below the details I received from Renault UK last August - this seemed to cure MY problem, but I cannot say that other members problems are caused by the same set of circumstances to be fair to Renault.

I want to make it clear that when I contacted Renault Uk about the starting problem they were MOST HELPFUL and came back to me with the details of this 'Quality Action' which was not a recall Campaign and there were no safety issues I understand. In addition to carrying out the actions recommended by Renault, my dealer also (I believe) did something to a TDC switch? (I am a non tech pensioner so don't ask!). Anyway I was not charged for anything so I therefore presumed that this was all part of the 'Quality Action'

Make of this what you will. I can only speak for myself in saying I have been very pleased with Renault's quick response to my problem re. the starting. This is what I received from Renault Owner services and aftercare:

"Quality Actions.1. Injection Computer reprogramming -
As part of Renault's ongoing quality processes, we have identified a potential for stalling or unstable idling speed when the engine is started. The operation consists of reprogramming the injection computer."

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Return to “Problems / Questions”