a question from someone who has never modified their car?

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

a question from someone who has never modified their car?

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi all,

was just wondering whether the mods that you do tend to affect your insurance much

I would love to do something to make my car faster in acceleration and to hold the corners better (?stiffer suspension?)

but have no idea and not sure if its a bit of an expensive idea?

i also would not be doing any of the work myself and so would have to pay for it to be done - do most of you guys do it yourself? i suppose its not worth it if u pay someone to do it for you?

also when u resell ur car - do u think the mods will affect the sale?
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:19 pm

well considering the resudial value of the megane is to be questioned, the mods will only make a marginal difference in the sale price (depending who you sell it to)

If you feel confident in undertaking a modification to your car, then my friend, just do it. The pleasure you get from looking and the appriciation you get from ppl, especially when you say "I did that myself"...trust me its good.

Insurance....will yes it will make a different. some things anyway . Tint does not effect the insuance. but im pretty sure that eveything else does. You could always stay stump.
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:01 am

Something like lowering springs i wouldnt bother telling the insurance about as there not guna have a clue its been done, and it dosent increase performance, and shouldnt make it anymore attractive to thiefs, get yourself a set of spax springs, cheap as chips from most places and pretty easy to fit if you know someone with a garage, obviously something like eibachs would be better but are more£, and i have no complaints about the spax springs got the - 45mm on mine. would of thort you'd be looking at the £150 mark to get the springs and have them fitted.

Main things that your insurance want to know about is things like changing wheels, bodykits, anything else that will make the car a bit more appealing to those thieving scroats, exhaust, re-maped, air filters, any other performance mods, as said you could keep stumb, but this could give your insurance a get out clause and render you liable to pay for the damage done.

And with the resale i would say that as long as everything is done to a standard, (so it dosent look like its been carried out by someone from barryboys) ie, viper stripes painted on with a brush and emulsion or a spoiler made from mdf, or every type of sticker available from halfords plastered all over.

Ive spent a good bit on mine, and would like to think that i havent effected the resale price to much, as you see radged 18yr olds who've spent all there money on doing up a 93 corsa and then try selling it for 6k cos it has chrome rims and a nasty fibreglass bodykit, but its still a 1.0 old corsa, these boys need a reality check, as i wouldnt give em more than the book price for the car, if anything there worth less as its just alot of tat.

So i think what im trying to say in the ramble above is that if you keep the mods sensible so that the car is universaly appealing it shouldnt affect the resale value.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:25 am

R55VYS wrote:
you see radged 18yr olds who've spent all there money on doing up a 93 corsa and then try selling it for 6k cos it has chrome rims

hahahahahahaqh :lol: :lol: :lol: so funny and true!! hahahah
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

MeganeChick
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Black Gold '06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, blanking plate, custom air intake feed, RSTuning remap (255bhp), ITG panel filter, Samco silicon air intake pipe, Forge Intercooler, renaultsport alloy wheel decals, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

Postby MeganeChick » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:37 am

thanks guys :)

yeah i certainly wouldnt be able to do the work myself lol i am a complete novice in everyway relating to mods really

lowering springs - is this for lowering the car so it doesnt look so high off the ground and at the wheel arches? i would love that done as feel like it looks too high at the back?

have u done anything with the suspension to make it hold the corners better/ mine is good compared to other cars i have driven but since experiencing the hold of a Vectra with stiffened 'sport' suspension i realise that mine could be better - i certainly do love to have people round the corners if i can haha!

what about making it faster in acceleration/ that i imagine would bump up ur costs? altho it would be worth it perhaps?

yeah i definately wouldnt want to make it look really obviously modified - just want to be able to razz it a bit more hehe :)

cheers for the info
'06 RenaultSport Megane 225: lux, cup pack, full tints, custom exhaust, xenons, xenon white interior and exterior lighting upgrade, tuned, FLI trap 12 active subwoofer (1000 watts) :D

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:34 pm

I haven't really used springs to lower my car!!!

No im not big boned!! :shock: :?

My sound system just loweres the rear of the car by 30 - 35mm

8)

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:28 pm

haha - well thats useful ;)

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 am

Well putting lowering springs on will durastically improve your road holding as the car has a lower center of gravity and stiffer springs so cuts out the bodyroll round corners to a degree, as i say it was the first thing i did to mine.

check this out: S031060
https://www.topgear.co.uk/acatalog/Spax_ ... nault.html

You could spend a fortune of properly changing the suspension setup, ie, putting new shocks n springs on or coilovers so you can slam it up to 100mm or something rediculous but you start getting into the £1000 sorta area, which i thinks abit ott.

Wider Wheels have an effect on road holding, poss get yourself some big rims with low profiles, ive got 18" on mine and lowered 45mm and theres still a gap under the arches, its not stupidly low or owt.

Im not to clued up on the 2.0 performance mods, but you've got all the obvious one to go for,

Air filter - either replacement pannel filter, ITG from K-Tec costs about £45
Or you can get an Induction kit, not sure if KnN/pipercross will do these, or if you fancy having a go a crafting a forced induction kit yourself, ie pipercross viper style, someone on the megsport site made a guide to doing it, these are the type with the intake in the lower grill or where ever you fancy putting it, usually give better bhp gains.
https://www.k-tecracing.com/

Exhaust - full stainless system, either from somewhere like magnex, blueflame etc, or you could go to a custom exhaust place like powerflow etc where you can have a bespoke system made.

Been told the biggest restrictor on these cars is the cat, so poss get a de-cat pipe made, or a sport cat, bearing in mind this could make your car fail MOT's, pulled by police, and will be very noisey, very.

Superchip/Remaps, these are usually cheaper for non turbo cars, but only give you around a 12bhp gain, but they tend to sort out the cars rev range as to get rid of the flat spots thru the gears and make the car pull much smoother.

Theres alsorts of daft things like valves and stuff you'l see which are generally crap, but i think if you get it remapped and have one of these types valves on (not sure which) it allows who ever is mapping it to adjust the air/fuel mixture as to give the best setup/bhp n Torque gains.

Again not sure if someone developed Hi Lift cams for the Meg yet but could be worth looking into as these will give a car some serious Grunt lower down, can make the car abit undrivable if you do town driving and you go for full on track cams, but theres usually 4 diff stages of cams you can get.
try these: https://www.pipercams.co.uk/
think they could custom make you a set tho if needed.

Then theres always daft little things like short throw gear sticks etc just to give you those extra milli seconds between gear changes, lol.

Think ive covered everything there: unless your wanting to spend mega money on doing a turbo/supercharger conversion, which generally isnt worth doing as its just cheaper to buy a 225 with the proper set up suspension and already fast as fook, and then these can be easily tuned to the 260bhp mark.

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:26 pm

thank you!!! :)

thats loads of info - yeah springs and air filter sound good! yeah even the remap gain of 12bhp would be a good gain for my measley 136bhp! lol

:D

dickie
Just Passed

Postby dickie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:24 pm

Were you serious about putting pink viper stripes on?.. They would look soo cool sister! Do it do it do it!
As the French say: le faux deux deux cinq
735310 6'1

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:01 am

dickie wrote:Were you serious about putting pink viper stripes on?.. They would look soo cool sister! Do it do it do it!

hey dickie - when did i say that? :-S not sure what they would even look like?

i may be a girl but i dont want pink on my car haha - Adam said i wanted pink fluffy mats! lol whats going on? lol its gotta be red for my black meg :D

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:13 am

R55VYS wrote:Well putting lowering springs on will durastically improve your road holding as the car has a lower center of gravity and stiffer springs so cuts out the bodyroll round corners to a degree, as i say it was the first thing i did to mine.

so did you notice quite a difference then with ur springs? as dont think im gonna change my wheels to 18's (love bigger wheels but dont wanna spend too much money really)

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:50 pm

MeganeChick wrote:so did you notice quite a difference then with ur springs? as dont think im gonna change my wheels to 18's (love bigger wheels but dont wanna spend too much money really)

Yeah it was a hell of a lot lower to look at (-45mm) looks alot meaner than like its on stilts, couldnt even get it off the lift at my dads mates garage, had to lift it by the doors in order to swing the arm outa the way, lol. handles a hell of a lot better. think it would look good dropped 45mm on the 17's, poss get them redone in anthro or black as some people have done, colour code the bump strips and it will look ace

MeganeChick
Pass Plus

Postby MeganeChick » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:55 pm

yeah they do look rediculously high dont they? lol. cool - sounds like a plan! why couldnt u get it off the lift? what was going on?

i quite like my alloys as they are tho (would prefer brighter chrome ones if i cud have anything) - so dont think ill get them done. where can u get ur bumpers colour coded? yeah that wud definately look better - altho again im more interested in getting power than anything :) so will consider that afterwards i think.

will the filter give me better bhp if i dont have a turbo? anything noticeable? think the remap might be my best option - have PM'd RS Tuning on MS for info - so will see what he says.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Couldnt get it off cos it was that low, car was just to say touching it still so the arms which swing under to lift it wouldnt swing back out, its not that low tho, just these things were abit of a daft idea.

You wont really see much difference from putting a filter on 2bhp or something, you wont notice it but will help your engine breath better, its all about helping the flow, getting air in quicker and getting rid of the gases quicker.

Superchip should give noticeable gains as they smooth out all the flat spots, so it'll pull thru all the gears.

Return to “Modifications”