Serious advice needed...

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tjw2007

Serious advice needed...

Postby tjw2007 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:28 pm

Ok here's the deal. I currently own a Mazda MX5 - great image, fairly powerful, bit high on insurance and low on mpg, but I can't get on with the hard ride and noisy cabin, so I've been looking around, and guess what!?..the Megane is better (2.0 VVT Turbo 165bhp) well, on paper that is! I'm just very concerned about all the reliability horror stories I've read about Meganes. I've got the chance to buy a 2006 model, and I've heard that the new version that came in in 2006 was a lot better reliability-wise - can anybody give me any advice on this issue, are all the reliability accounts true? Am I potentially about to make a huge mistake?

Thanks
Some things in life are bad...they can really make you mad...

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm

The 2.0 turbo'd cars have fewer reliability problems generally egnine wise.
They're also a rarity.. there's not many about!

Other horror stories re: Electrics... trim... still exist.. but as you said, on newer cars are less frequent. plus you also have a bonus of still having warranty!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:56 am

All cars, regardless of manufacturer can and do suffer reliability issues. Unfortunately Renault seems to have had quite a few over the last few years on the Laguna and Megane ranges.
Things are apparently much better now and the new Megane's are much improved, although still not perfect which I'm sure a few others will agree with.

What you have to understand is that the people who have problems, seek out forums like this, there are thousands of other who have no probems at all.
Just look at how many Meganes you see on the road!

I've had a few niggles with mine, but nothing to really dampen my like for Renault cars. The wifes new Clio III is fantastic and very well built.

Have you considered a Diesel? The 1.9dCi 130 and the new 2.0dCi are real fliers, with good fuel economy. The 1.5dCi whilst no hot hatch certainly can hold it's own and has even better economy! plus cheap insurance and £35 a year road tax
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

kia2802
Passed Theory

Postby kia2802 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:03 pm

The only trouble i have really had was with the windows goin down when it rains and the breaks squeaking but other than that they are really good cars and being a renault technician the only thing we really get meganes in with is the windows and breaks and the odd misfire now and then
1.4 , Sport Tourer , Dynamique , Extreme Blue And A Whole 96 BHP !!!!!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Serious advice needed...

Postby AlexB » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:38 pm

Yes, I am afraid. Megane II is not a sports car as MX-5, so the best deal is a diesel. Try a 2.0dci, it's a good new engine with huge torque. 1.9dci like mine is also good, but they had some reliability issues before August 2003. Everything below these will feel inadequate comparing to your present car. Please note, diesels are not good for short journeys where they have no chance to warm up properly. The same is true for petrol engines, but they warm up faster due to lower efficiency. The above diesels are exceptionally good for tourism. I just came back from a 2k miles trip in France where the car behaved very well and felt totally adequate under all driving conditions: motorways, rural roads, city, rain, sun, long distances, etc.

Your MX-5 utilises the minimalistic approach to design, which is opposite to the approach used by Renault. Multiple gadgets reduce the overall reliability of a car. I specifically avoided sunroof, climate, cruise, tyre sensors, gas discharge headlights, hands-free card, satnav, etc. As a result I've got an extremely reliable and still comfortable car. You don't need to worry about frequently mentioned brake problems, which should be swapped to GreenStuff anyway, similarly to how it is normally done in MX-5.

tjw2007 wrote:... 2.0 VVT Turbo 165bhp... Am I potentially about to make a huge mistake?...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

boysie
Passed Theory

Postby boysie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:16 pm

We have two 150 GT's and touch wood, apart from an issue with the airbag warning light coming on both cars [ fixed with a software update ] they have both been very good..

We both get around 45mpg and long distace work is the best,,, only doing around 2650 rpm @ 90mph, and very little road noise, and the GT is fairly sporty around the corners if needed

PS one of them is for sale if your interested? :D £12,250.. We don't need two!!

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”