Making a 1.5 DCi sound a little more mean

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

neilhelen0

Making a 1.5 DCi sound a little more mean

Postby neilhelen0 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:36 am

Hi everyone, was just wondering if anyone could suggest ways to make my 1.5 DCi meggy sound and look a bit sportier without spending a fortune on mods. I like the sound people get from these petrol turbo cars and wondered can i do that to me diesel for very little money. Then again it is probably not a cheap thing to do and i will only be in the dog house for wasting money. Just thought it would be nice to give the car i have a little treat. I can't afford one of those nice renault megane sports so thought i would try and do the best with what i have got. (never know someone might take pity on me and throw some cheap left overs they dont my way) LOL.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Engine
Well to get a bit of a roar from the engine, you could put an induction kit on, not sure whether there any good performance wise for a diesel as people tend to stick with a replacement panel filter, ITG from k-tec about £40, although this wont give the roar of an induction kit.
Performance back box/system? custom made, probs get one done for around £300 for a system.
DervDoctor down Coventry way can put a dump valve on the diesels for £300 fitted i think.
your never going to get it to sound like a petrol tho, even with a d/v people in the know will sus it.

Exterior
First thing i tackled on mine was the suspension, as i think it makes a durastic improvement on looks and handling, i got some -45mm Spax springs from Topgear, £100ish delivered, and i think i only paid £20-30 quid to get them fitted, although i complained about the delivery time when i got them, i was reasurred it was down to the company(spax) cocking up the delivery postcode. but the ride is still comfortable, and its not that low.
If your not wanting to go down the route of changing bumpers etc, colour coding makes the car look better aswell, side bump strips can be taken off in seconds, just open your doors pull the front ones back, and pull the back ones toward the front (3 door)they just slide off the clips. no idea about the bumper ones.
obviously you have all kinds of splitters and kits available if you wanted to do that, an if you do i would advise staying away from full replacement fiberglass bumpers, they are cheap, but theres a reason for that, bad fitment and quality. if you do fancy changing bumpers i would advise std renault parts, 225 bumpers, can find for cheap on ebay, owners clubs if your prepaired to wait about.

Then you obviously have other mods such as spoilers, lights, wheels etc which i wont bore you with cos ive just written a good load of bollox for you to siv through. lol.

Paul

neilhelen0

Postby neilhelen0 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 am

Thanks Paul. Its all a mine field out there i wouldn't know where to start. As far as cars go i know where the key card goes and how to press the button to start the thing. I look around on ebay but never really know what i am looking for, suppose the best thing to do is buy one already kitted out but that will cost an arm and a leg and i dont think that will go down too well at home. Will have to have a look round for photos of people that have done up the 1.5 DCi and see what they have put on their cars and get some cheap alternatives. All advice is welcomed off anyone its been along time since i was at the age of being a boy racer and doing cars up but would love to make my little Megane look a bit more than it really is (if you understand what i mean).

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:03 am

PM'd

STEVIE
Advanced Driver

Postby STEVIE » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi mate ive done this to my 1.4 authentiqe(standard one)
ive gone for the fiberglass kit but as pauls says its not that good of a fit but will do for now

stevie
http://www.meganesport.net welcome all members of Megane II Owners Club

neilhelen0

Postby neilhelen0 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Looks nice Stevie, do you have to get the stuff sprayed or can you get the kits ready done. My megane is in the dark blue not sure what the name is. Also any ideas what i would do about the exaust as i presume the Dci cant have an exaust like the one on yours. Or is that only old diesel cars.
Sorry to be thick never done anything like this before and don't want to waste money if i am gonna end up making my car look shite.

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:43 am

Sorry to keep butting in but exhaust will go on your dci not a prob, any exhaust place will be able to do it. you would have to get the bumpers sprayed (i got quoted, cheapest £200, inc side bump strips).

I think stevies bumpers look quite well, exception to my slating the fiberglass bumpers, if you could get the front grill to fit like stevies done with the rear, i really dont think you could tell the difference.

neilhelen0

Postby neilhelen0 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Feel free to butt in any time you want Paul the more help i can get the better. I am getting excited now. I presume with the fibre glass body kits it all depends on who you get them from as to how they fit. But like you say standard parts are probably better bit like universal wings etc they take hours of hammering to get them to fit. (Find that out by watching the Turbo channel on Sky LOL).
I think my car will need a good buffing aswell when i get the bumbers sprayed its got a few scratches on. You never know may be able to pick up some dark blue 225 spares so will only need them touching up although there is not much on ebay at the moment.
Oh well keep the advice coming its very helpful.

Cheers both.

jojobanana

mean dci 1.5

Postby jojobanana » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:36 pm

ive had a 1.5 dci megane for about 6months, i have black lexus lights and 17" alloys, which looks wicked. i recently found a double exhaust for 280....not got it yet though..still saving. i work for a graphics company i make graphics for my car every month, so its forever changing, even graphics makes it look meaner. as soon as i can figure out how to get a pic up i'll show. j :cool:
j[]j0B4nan4

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Re: mean dci 1.5

Postby R55VYS » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:57 pm

jojobanana wrote:ii recently found a double exhaust for 280. as soon as i can figure out how to get a pic up i'll show. j :cool:

Is this a 225 style exhaust or one for the std meg?

You can use Photobucket.com to post pics,
You simply register (free)
Upload your pics
Copy the contents of the "IMG code" box below the pic you want to post, and paste that into a post on here or where ever.

Hope this helps
Paul

jojobanana

Postby jojobanana » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:05 pm

just the standard megane
j[]j0B4nan4

jojobanana

Postby jojobanana » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm

heres a old one,got to take a better pic sometime
j[]j0B4nan4

R55VYS
Advanced Driver

Postby R55VYS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:28 pm

jojobanana wrote:just the standard megane

Think miltek sell the performance back box for the 225 seperatly for quite cheap, which can be modded to fit the standard meg system, would require cutting your back bumper, but could lokk quite cool.

Return to “Modifications”