Heater control illumination

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:56 am

Take it back to the dealer and tell them that it isnt your problem if they dont know what the unit is.

A car that is only a year old shouldnt be blowing bulbs behind the dash. I have drove and had through my hands a good few cars and never have any had a light out behind the dash.

I know that it isnt un-common for it to happen but I wouldnt let them try and rip you off.

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

velmu

Re: Heater control illumination

Postby velmu » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Bump. Our 2003 1.6 lost the lights behind the heater controls. I'll take apart the center console tomorrow. So some models are fitted with bulbs while others with LEDs? If mine happens to be with bulbs, are they replaceable?

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Well I managed to solve all my meganes problems by trading it in for a Kia pro_cee'd 2.0 crdi sport with a 7year warranty at the beginning of the year.
I did like the megane but it was out of warranty and still going wrong just as often as it was whilst it was still under warranty so it had to go before it bankrupted me.

Spooky though, the brand new megane looks exactly like my pro_ceed - i just pray it's the looks that are all they share! :shock:

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm

Sorry to dig up an old post, but this is the only thread with any info in it, so I tought it best to keep it here than start a fresh thread...

A few weeks ago the left hand side of my heater control panel stopped being illuminated in the dark. I had a service, and the dealer reckoned I could change the bulbs in 45 mins, so it wasn't worth doing this at the dealer. My Megane is an 06 Dynamique, and is out of warranty, so I wouldn't expect dealer help. I got a Haynes manual to see how to take apart and gain access, which I did. My control unit isn't selaed (just clipped), and I found a small blackened bulb. After finding out what it is (a '286') I got some replacements. Now I've had a chance to fit one, but the light isn't there, so am worried it needs a replacement unit to get the illumination back. I plan on investigating more, but wanted to share that my controls (non-climate) had replaceable bulbs, but you do need some patience to get to them. Thankfully replacements are now cheaper to get from ebay than before due to scrapped Meganes.

Also of note is that when I first took apart the heater controls two pieces of plastic with springs came out, and I didn't know where they were from. Only when driving and adjusting the controls did I realise they weren't clicking ad you turned the recirculation or vent selection dials - it tunred out they are mounted in the knobs and provide this clicking!
06 Extreme Blue 1.5dCi 106 Dynamique Sport Tourer with panoramic sunroof and Dension Gateway

andrewvincent
Currently Drives:: Dynamique 1.6

Postby andrewvincent » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 am

Hi, I have a similar problem where by the heater controls are not illuminated for ages and after a while randomly go on. Has anyone had this happen and know how to fix it. Is is a loose connection or just a ghost in the machine. I have a 2004 1.6 Dynamique with the standard blowers as opposed to the climate control.

Kind Regards
Andy Vincent

lamdask

Postby lamdask » Thu May 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi, I have unlit heating controls in a just bought 2003 Megane.

I'm going to change the bulbs using this very thorough guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Zv72lIq9c

Thanks for a great forum. I learned a lot in here before I went to the dealer and it's great source for keeping the car running.

Regards.
Mikael/Denmark.

MAK
Currently Drives:: Megane 2007

Postby MAK » Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 pm

hi :)
it occasionally happens with my megane 2006

just one or two punches and it illuminates

try it, may be... :grin

Return to “Problems / Questions”