Steering clunk

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Steering clunk

Postby chrislloydie » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:29 pm

54 plate 1.6 auto 29k.

My steering is making a loud clunkining noise. It happens when I turn the wheel anti clockwise and the noise is both felt and heard when the wheel is at approximately 11 oclock. It only happens on the first turn and doesn't sound again if you turn the wheel a full turn.

The clunking can also be felt as the car pulls away from stationary and occassionally when coming to a stop. It also happens evey now and then when driving over speed humps.

The noise can be heard both inside the car and from outside.

Any ideas?
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Check the steering arms, the strut top mounts, and all 3 engine mounts...

I highly doubt its a problem with the steering rack, but you never know...

Make sure the rack is bolted properly to the subframe (re-torque bolts)...
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

TomM
Learner Driver

Postby TomM » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:46 pm

I had a similar problem a while back and I thought for ages that it was something to do with the stearing column but in the end it was a shock absorber... £180 job.

Get somebody to dry steer the front wheels while u look in the arches at the suspension springs. If they seem to suddenly 'slip' at all at the same time as the noise then its probably a shock absorber.

Tom.

mgallen

Postby mgallen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:49 am

I have had this problem with my 2004 Megane II hatch.

It was rectified with the dealer. Apparently a common problem, and the solution was to replace two bolts in the steering column, which was handled under warranty....

Return to “Problems / Questions”