Toxic Fumes Light but Engine running OK

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Toxic Fumes Light but Engine running OK

Postby alhenderson » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:36 am

Morning All,

Last night on the way home, I got the toxic fumes warning light along with the service light (service not due for 3K). I have had this before and the ignition coils had gone, but that time the engine was running really badly. This time, its running fine. All the way home last night and into work this morning (about 50 miles).

Does this light always mean the ignition coils? And does the fact that the engine is running OK mean that its not a coil? Can't get it seen until next Wednesday so I'm wondering if I should be driving it or not.

And while I'm at it, why is this light an engine shape - if its supposed to warn about toxic fumes, surely they could have come up with a better symbol!

Having just had it back 4 days after 3 weeks in the garage waiting for a new O2 sensor, I'm a little cheesed off with the whole thing.

Cheers,
Al.

skez

Postby skez » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:30 pm

I had the same lights come on Monday so i took it into Renault in Plymouth and it cost me £700 to put right (camshaft sensor, new cambelt,dephaser) and some other things. I wish that was the end of it, after paying the bill i drove the car straight home. Friday morning went to go out and found all the engine oil over the drive. they took it back in this morning and will look at it on Tueday. I hope you have better luck.

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Yeah its your camshaft sensor minimum - I had same fault.

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:22 pm

skez wrote:I had the same lights come on Monday so i took it into Renault in Plymouth and it cost me £700 to put right (camshaft sensor, new cambelt,dephaser) and some other things. I wish that was the end of it, after paying the bill i drove the car straight home. Friday morning went to go out and found all the engine oil over the drive. they took it back in this morning and will look at it on Tueday. I hope you have better luck.

£700???! I bl**dy well hope not, just forked out £300 for a new window regulator. :evil:

I was hoping to argue that it's related to the work they did the other week to put the new O2 sensor in and have them pay, but that may be a tad optomistic..

This things getting the heave ho just as soon as I can get the dosh together and get something else (and find someone daft enough to buy mine!).

Fed up.

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:23 pm

Hate to say it but I have the same problem, lights on but no missfire. I had the AA read the error code off yesterday and it was reported as missfire in cylinder 3 (even though there was no noticiable missfire). The AA reset the error code and suggested if it comes back to take it to the dealers. Well the lights back on today so I got the AA out to read the code again and sure enough this time it is reporting a camshaft sensor problem - error code P0340 so it looks like that could well be the same problem you are having judging by your symptoms. Luckily I'm still (just) under warranty so hopefully will be able to get it booked in and sorted out sharpish.

walibe
Pass Plus

Postby walibe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:10 am

If its just th esensor its works out at about £100 for parts and fitting. If its anything else aswell... well I don't envy you...

alhenderson
Learner Driver

Postby alhenderson » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:15 pm

Well, turns out there's nothing wrong at all. On the way home last night, the light was off, and stayed of this morning on the way to the dealer. Thought I'd better get it checked out anyway - they couldn't read any fault codes from the computer apart from "a few very old ones", so they have reset the computer and charged me £45 for the privilege.

Got to wonder what's the point of having these warning lights if you can't trust em.... Next time I'll be tempted to not take it to a dealer straight away and see if it goes away, and who knows what damage that might cause!!

Al.

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:01 pm

alhenderson wrote:Well, turns out there's nothing wrong at all. On the way home last night, the light was off, and stayed of this morning on the way to the dealer. Thought I'd better get it checked out anyway - they couldn't read any fault codes from the computer apart from "a few very old ones", so they have reset the computer and charged me £45 for the privilege.

Got to wonder what's the point of having these warning lights if you can't trust em.... Next time I'll be tempted to not take it to a dealer straight away and see if it goes away, and who knows what damage that might cause!!

Al.

Hi,

Once I was told by a Renault tech. that if there is a problem with a sensor, this is recorded by the ECU. however, if after 3 consecutives startups and shutdowns the sensor works fine and no problem is sensed, then this is automatically erased from the ECU. Not sure if it is true, but it has happened to me before. I had a light on in the dash, went out, and after a week I went to the dealer. They couldn't find anything. Then, after another week, the light came back on, I went immedeately to the dealer and the error was found
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 pm

alhenderson wrote:Well, turns out there's nothing wrong at all. On the way home last night, the light was off, and stayed of this morning on the way to the dealer. Thought I'd better get it checked out anyway - they couldn't read any fault codes from the computer apart from "a few very old ones", so they have reset the computer and charged me £45 for the privilege.

Al.

The light will be back within a week you can be pretty sure of it - I wonder if they even checked the wiring on the cam sensor for a short or simply relied on the 'computer says no' message :?

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:52 am

Out of curiousity I just plugged an OBD cable into my whimpering Megane and read the error codes off and sure enough it is display a P0340 Cam Sensor Fault just like the nice AA chap said :evil:

jmeasey

Postby jmeasey » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 pm

i had the toxic fumes light come on (and stay on constantly) on friday on my way down to devon for weekend - phoned the renault garage to ask if it was still safe to drive and was told it should be fine, was prob just a sensor but i should stop if the stop light comes on or the car starts mis-firing.

It stayed on all the way down, and then on saturday it was still on when i drove it - in total i did about 300 miles with it on. Then this morning i drove the car and no light, did 200 miles in it today and nothing - what would have caused this and is it just a blip or is a sensore actually broken?!!
2003 Renault Megane 2.0 16v (Black 3 door)

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:20 pm

I suspect that the sensor is on it's way out to be honest. Problem now is that the lights off so its that much harder to prove to the dealers :?

Return to “Problems / Questions”