Toxic Fumes Warning Light

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

biomulv

Coils

Postby biomulv » Fri May 05, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi ,

Guess what I too have the Toxic light on and engine running like a bag of spanners.

03 Plate 1.6vvt , 2 weeks out of warranty.Grrrr

How do they tell what coil has went? Anyone had to pay for one if so how much?

Ta

dla268

Coils

Postby dla268 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:29 am

Its been a while since I posted, guess what a set of coils at 10,000 miles required when the toxic light came on, also out of warranty by a month.

Non Renault garage charged £36.91 plus VAT (£43.37) each.

biomulv

Postby biomulv » Sun May 07, 2006 10:23 am

Not too bada price I suppose. I went and got one anyway and did it myself. Took about 5 mins or so. Would have been less but it was the 3rd one I tried :)

Got one for £26.

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Thu May 11, 2006 4:13 pm

Hi all!

Latest update: Renault have had my car all week with the problem and, suprise suprise, can't replicate the fault even though diagnostics still state a mis-fire in the first chamber.

As the technition stated they have already replaced everything mechanical (plugs, coils and injectors) and have now wiped and reloaded all appropriate software too.

They are giving it a good run (80+ miles) tonight and are calling me tomorrow with the results......

Initial thoughts anyone? Do we think this is going to do it?

I will keep you posted! :D

G
Current: Volvo S40 S Sport 2.0D :)
Previous: Renault Megane II Coupe Carbriolet 2.0 T Privledge

biomulv

Postby biomulv » Thu May 11, 2006 4:18 pm

Flux Capacitor?

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Thu May 11, 2006 4:21 pm

biomulv wrote:Flux Capacitor?

rofl :mrgreen:

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Sun May 14, 2006 10:34 am

Well following my last post there was a little twist to the tale at the end.

As I went to pick up the car, after the week Renault had kept it, the technition finally managed to repeat the problem I was having - rah!

Some interesting points were made. It only seems to to it with less than a 1/4 of a tank of fuel. It also only seems to do it after 10-20 mins or running from cold.

So on inspecting a sample of fuel (and then ripping the fuel sender out) they found a lot of black "grit" in the tank, possibly from a bad batch of fuel. Now, the theory goes that this grit is very fine and could be passing through the system and occasionally clogging the injectors.

So, a new fuel sender later, a cleaned out tank and a full tank of petrol to check for leaks and we are trying again!

Hats off to Sutton Park Coventry they are trying hard to rectify this problem despite initial oversights...

I will keep you posted....

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Wed May 17, 2006 7:41 am

Nope, problem was back today, 8 mins into a journey and with 3/4 full tank..... :(

Alex L
Passed Theory

Postby Alex L » Thu May 25, 2006 5:48 pm

I was starting to feel left out here, when low and behold the magic light appears.

My girlfriend was driving home from work tonight, dropped off her mate and as soon as she got in the slow traffic the light started flashing at her.

The only thing thats different from you guys is we bought ours from a small non-Renault dealer and purchased a 2 year RAC warranty and they are only open from 8:30-5:50 :roll:

Its a 2.0 16 Dynamique, so if theres anything i should know before i phone them up in the morning?

All advice will be much appreciated.

Alex :D

biomulv

Yay

Postby biomulv » Fri May 26, 2006 10:46 pm

Well , i have solved all my megane problems, and there are a lot of them.

I have traded it in for a Skoda Octavia vRS.

Cant wait. Nearly took their hand off.

I feel sorry for all you guys. There are so many known, unresolved, generic problems with these cars it is pandemic.

Vote with your feet.

Good luck.

Bizzarly on here it is all problems. on the Skoda / VAG websites it is all praise.
Bogo standard 03 1.6. For the wife.

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Re: Yay

Postby Privilege » Sat May 27, 2006 3:42 pm

biomulv wrote:I feel sorry for all you guys. There are so many known, unresolved, generic problems with these cars it is pandemic.

Vote with your feet.

Good luck.

Bizzarly on here it is all problems. on the Skoda / VAG websites it is all praise.

I don't need your pity thank you very much :roll:

Hope your experience of VAG is better than mine :shock:

Good luck and goodbye :wink:
Audi A3 Sportback: Mar 07: 1.6 SE: Tiptronic: Dolphin Grey

AndyL

Here we go again!!!

Postby AndyL » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:29 am

Hello all, its been a few months since I visited my dealer for a few cups of coffee, so thankfully my 2.0T started playing up again. The emmissions light flashed once in the first month of use after having the injectors replaced. I put that down to teething trouble. For a month everything was good, fuel economy back to normal and a silky smooth idle (no lurches, hiccups, burps or vibrations, just like my old VVTI Celica (I miss you...)).

Then, everythings back to normal, ie faulty. I pull up at the lights, flash. My wife pulls up at the lights, flash. Someone is also thumping something under the bonnet, I can feel the bangs thru the pedals.

So my Renault dealer in Belfast, the one's who tried to give my car back to me covered in dog hair (I'm allergic to dog hair) last time it was in for the same fault have a look at it. Yup, the computer shows two faults, but they can wipe them off the computer, so thats OK(?!?!!!). I ask a question "So, you know it has a fault, but you dont know what it is, and you're going to just give the car back to me?" the reply was pretty much "Yes". They book me in for the investigative work in about two weeks time, as they had no courtesy cars and I need my car for work.

I phone the fleet management company my car is through as it has had so many reoccurances of the same fault they are very interested in progress. Amazingly, they phone back in a few hours saying a car has been "located" and can I leave mine in the next day?

So my car is fecked again. I, as a long suffering customer, get a two week leadtime for the repair. My fleet company gets a 12 hour leadtime. So how many renaults do you have to buy before tyou get decent service????!!!!!

This is my first renault, it will be my last, and the fleet hire company who looks after our 150+ vehicles are none too chuffed with their reliability either...

Has anyone had a 2.0T fixed yet? If so, can you tell renault what they did to fix it as they haven't a scooby doo?

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Has anyone had a 2.0T fixed yet? If so, can you tell renault what they did to fix it as they haven't a scooby doo?

I think there is definately a seperate fault for the 2.0T, mine STILL hasn't been resolved and it goes in again next week.

It seems that the 1.6/2.0 seem to be fine once the coils are replaced but this simply isn't fixing the problem for the 2.0T.

My list of repairs trying to solve this now include:

1) 4 new coils
2) 4 new injectors
3) 4 new spark plugs
4) A removed, clearned and replaced fuel tank
5) A new fuel injector

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:59 am

Just heard from Renault (i am going to write a definative guide to this thing once it is fixed) and they say the black particles are back, so it wasn't a bad batch of fuel.

Was defereed to Renault tecnical who stated:

"Have seen this problem before on a few diesels (never petrol) where the tank or tank lining is corroding causing the black particles to enter the fuel line and then into the injectors causing the miss-fire"

Rah! So as a result I am now getting a new fuel tank, all new fuel lines, etc to see if this solves the problem....

Watch this space....! :D

AndyL

I've had enough

Postby AndyL » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Got the car back from the dealer, drove it maybe 15 miles and the light starts flashing again. They had it for a week and a half.

They dont know what the fault is, that is clear. They couldn't replicate the problem (not an issue for me it seems). They just wipe the fault info from the computer and thats it. The idle felt worse than ever, like an old badly balanced diesel from a 2.0t engine. The 1.2 clio i had as a courtesy car was silky smooth in comparison.

Can I reject a year old car with a long history of the same problem?

Oh, and I'm going on a long journey touring scotland with my mountainbikes tomorrow. Or maybe not...

Fed up.

Return to “Problems / Questions”