CHECK DOOR LOCKS

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

CHECK DOOR LOCKS

Postby scooper1000 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi my normally well behaved 2006 1.5DCi Megane runs great However recently I am getting the little red spanner lit with the warning CHECK DOOR LOCKS. I found that playing with the fifth button on the drivers door window control the one that stops passengers playing with the windows corrects this fault (why I do not know).I can hear the locking mechanism working away in the drivers rear door when I press this button so have sprayed WD40 in the locking mechanism and split the connection between body and door more WD40 sprayed in, and the warning would disappear but it returns after a few days.
Not sure if this is a MOT failure but i have 6 months to sort it out, Could somebody who has had this problem tell me what to replace or look out for.

Its just a little annoying not being able to see the mileage covered otherwise the car drives great

thanks

DougM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: CHECK DOOR LOCKS

Postby DougM » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:43 am

You need to know which door lock is causing the issue. I doubt it's an MOT fail providing the doors are actually secure. When I bought mine it had this message and it had just gone through an MOT. It was a faulty driver's door lock. It would not lock with the remote with this fault active either. Personally I cannot stand the doors endlessly locking and unlocking while driving. So I disabled that feature too.

scooper1000
Pass Plus

Postby scooper1000 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:00 am

thanks for that I am thinking its the drivers side passenger door as that makes all the odd noises...I will get a replacement and go from there...
Thanks for the info

scooper1000
Pass Plus

Postby scooper1000 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi sorry to report that after changing the lock on rear passenger door O/S/R the situation is the same...do not fancy changing all locks so will wait and see if i can get the car looked at with a code scanner....
Reading the manual the door handle removal was so easy NAH got it out but the metal pin that holds the barrel in was a nightmare to replace, I am sure nothing broke taking it out but ended up using a elastic band to hold it into place while it was assembled..
I appreciate your help

Steve

DougM
Learner Driver

Postby DougM » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:51 pm

Yeah the handle can be tricky. The bolts holding the door lock on mine wouldn't budge so I drilled them out and replaced with galvanised ones. You don't need to replace every door lock. You could use a diagnostic I guess or simply unplug each lock from its power connector. When you get to the faulty one the error will disappear.

scooper1000
Pass Plus

Postby scooper1000 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:21 pm

instead of taking door panels off the car could I just unplug the wiring where it enters the doors, I do not want to mess to much the UCH terrifies me...LOL

scooper1000
Pass Plus

Postby scooper1000 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am

I must just be lucky, having this trouble for a couple of weeks now my son had to use the rear seats for a small journey but when we arrived he could not open the N/S rear door from the inside and we thought the child locks were activated,,wrong,, this was the problem door after 20 minutes or so of banging the lock with a hammer and slamming the door it would open from the inside and all warning on dash stopped, I have ordered a replacement and next time it plays up i will replace....not saying this will sort everybody's problem but at least you might have a clue as to what door is causing the problem....thanks for your help

DougM
Learner Driver

Postby DougM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:46 am

Good job. Did you disconnect each door in the end or just leave it.

scooper1000
Pass Plus

Postby scooper1000 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 pm

I was going to disconnect one by one but luckily my son thought the child locks were activated on passenger rear door, When i checked it was no to gave it a few (gentle) knocks with a big hammer and good old WD40...All warnings went and door opens now from the inside, I have ordered a replacement on Ebay but they sent a scenic lock...looks the same but the cable to outer handle is way to short so returned it....

Return to “Problems / Questions”