Water in storage box in drivers footwell

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Noeldublin6
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 1.5 dci expression 2009

Re: Water in storage box in drivers footwell

Postby Noeldublin6 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I got same problem is there a drain plug or something both footwells full of water :oops: :?

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:16 pm

The problem is the scuttle drain at the base of the windscreen clogging up with leaves and guck. About 10 litres of water gather and flow into the car through the air intake. You need to get yourself a wiper removal tool, remove the wiper arms, the plastic panel over the scuttle well and unblock everything - you'll see how bad the situation gets if left untreated!
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

Piney
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 16v water tank

Postby Piney » Wed May 02, 2012 5:43 pm

I've taken all the cover off it was clean no blockage but it all back together with sealant to be on the safe side and still water in the passenger floor compartment
I've been told its coming off the door as the rubber seal running under the door don't go all the way around which when checked is correct could this be the problem????
Megane 1.6 WTOW (water tank on wheels)

tull
Currently Drives:: D C I 120

Re: Rain, rain go away!

Postby tull » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:50 pm

markren2004 wrote:
Mrs J wrote:After a lot of rain, I can also hear water sloshing around somewhere in front of me when driving, which usually pours down the footwell onto the pedals and my feet!

If you can hear the water sloshing around then you'll have a big puddle in the bulkhead area where the wiper motor sits.
You 'll need to go under the bonnet, remove the bulkhead covering and check.
the drain will be blocked with dead leaves etc.

I had the same problem with my 02 1.9 dci,sloshing noises and water runing down by pedals to soak floor.If you open the bonnet and look below the plastic cover that runs the width of the windscreen,about 5 inches from left inner wing(removing plastic engine cover makes it easier,pull upwards to unclip) you will see a rubber pipe about 1 inch thick.this is the main drain.this can be removed by pulling donwards and wiggling about.at the bottom of the pipe is a lug with a hole in it which is pushed onto a screw sticking out from the body,grab the pipe as far down as you can reach,wiggle it to the right and it will come away easily.When i got mine of I found it was clogged with muck at the bottom,cleared it out with wire and replaced.I put a bead of silicone round the top of the pipe but probably not needed.I've had a lovely dry car ever since.

island27
Currently Drives:: Megane Cabriolet 2005

Postby island27 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:22 pm

wglindsay wrote:I had a similar problem and once I had unblocked the drain pipes(2) I have had no further problem.

Hi there,

I'm just wondering where I can find the second drain. I have cleared the one below the left wiper, but I can still hear water. I'm afraid that this is going to damage the electrics as the water poured onto my feet the other day. Can anyone help with this please? And also does anyone know where I would find any diagrams or pictures?
I did see on one thread that someone had put pictures up, but the pictures are no longer available.
Hope someone can help with this.

island 27

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 pm

There is one under the wiper motor also
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Stutlake
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II Sport Tourer -05

Postby Stutlake » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 am

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/87/afvoerslangairco.jpg/
I found this image that helped me found the drain hole for the air con. But the picture is missing the catalysator unit that's right below the hole! Managed to get some crap our with my finger by squeezeing my hand up above it. I think I have to do better job from above though, but at least the water is coming out now...

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:03 pm

I heard the "sloshing" again last night.
Here we go again. (sigh)

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:10 pm

onlydiesels wrote:if i remember correct,it`s just held in with torx head screws,i think you have to remove the end panel from the dash (next to the door) to access some of them,but it is an easy job.
sorry i can`t be more specific but it`s a while since i did mine. getting old and having to fix it so many times is taking it`s toll :D

Yes, it's easy. I had to remove mine to install a new blower resistor pack. It really is a 10- minute job. Which is just as well as I now have to do it again to sort out the noisy fan..
All the screws are torx. One is under a little plastic tab. Some (3 I think) are inside the glovebox. Two are behind the trim on the left - it just pulls off.

psykosekai
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II 1.6 16V SPORTWAY

Postby psykosekai » Sun May 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Sorry to bring this topic back to life.. but I recently bought a secondhand Megane II (a few months ago) and got the same issue with water in the storage box in my (left) side of the car, which I suspect, is the reason for periodic failures with the ABS system Ive been having. I cleaned the drains, dried the footwell and thought the issue was in the past...
Last night there was heavy rain, again (I live in Denmark.... :roll:) and I still got water in the footwell (including some on the foot mat)?? Checked the drains and nothing there. I suspect, that the cloth between the back of the engine and the top part, under the raincover for the wipers, has lost its ability to repell water, which then soaks into the cabin. What the heck can I do about that?

ignajacob

Postby ignajacob » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:18 pm

I´ve got the same problem in the footwell storage box of the passenget seat
I´ve checked that if I pour water into the corner above (where the wipers are)
1.some water would pass through the drain pipe (under the wiper)
2.and some water would come out through the passenger footwell (from somewhere underneath the foam in the leaning part of the footwell)

The problem is that I don´t know if you can get access to that place from outside (engine). Otherwise you have to remove all the foam under the footwell to discover where is the water coming from.

DougM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Postby DougM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Have you tried UV dye. Ring do a dye for finding these kinds of leak, mix with water and use a UV torch to find where it is coming in. About 6 quid a pot as I recall. Might be worth a go.

Return to “Problems / Questions”