Passenger Cabin Demister Fan 1.5dci 2007 - not working at all.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ChrisLud
Currently Drives:: Megane Dynamique 1.5 DCI estate

Passenger Cabin Demister Fan 1.5dci 2007 - not working at all.

Postby ChrisLud » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi folks,

My Passenger Cabin Demister Fan on Megane 2 estate 1.5dci 2007 is not working at all. (Hardly ideal in Scotland at this time of year.)

It started by working erratically... Switch on at any speed and nothing, then 10 mins later it would suddenly come on at whatever speed the switch was on.

Then I had an electrical burning smell and the demister stopped altogether.

I took out the demister fan/motor: a couple of leaves with thick stalks had made their way into it and must have occasionally blocked the fan, probably causing the intermittent problem / total stoppage. Cleaned things up (including all the contacts / commutator etc.) and tested the fan off the car: It worked perfectly. Re-fitted everything and nothing works. Ugh.

I've replaced the speed setting resistor and checked the 30A fuse by the glove compartment (fine). I've also checked the relays in the box which attaches to the end of the demister fan housing, which both seem to work.

Help! - What else could be wrong? - Still not found anything that really looked like it could have been the source of the electrical burning smell, apart from the resistor (possibly).

Looking forward to some insight into the murky world of Megane 2 electrics! :-)
Cheers,
Chris L

DougM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Passenger Cabin Demister Fan 1.5dci 2007 - not working at all.

Postby DougM » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:34 pm

ChrisLud

Postby ChrisLud » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Thank you Doug.

I've ordered the loom upgrade... Hopefully that'll sort things.

I'm guessing the problem can't be with the fuses under the bonnet? (I hope I'd have noticed other stuff not working!)

Cheers,

Chris L

ChrisLud

Postby ChrisLud » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:00 pm

The "upgraded" heater plug arrived... Right plug... Wiring makes no sense... Wires leading to pins which have no connection in the original plug... ie. Do nothing... Plug will be going back... Any advice on checking the cabling / supply to the original plug (connecting to the heater resistor)?

Are there fuses under the bonnet which could have blown, causing the demister fan to stop working?

Any help / advice gladly received!

Chris L

Return to “Problems / Questions”