Jump Start Earth Point

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Rush118

Jump Start Earth Point

Postby Rush118 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi All, Renault Megane Rush 2004 16v.
I'm wanting to try jump-starting it using jump leads. It's been years since I did it so I google it and it said never hook up the negative lead to the dead battery as it could cause an explosion? It said to find a ground point to hook it too. does anyone know a suitable place to hook the negative lead or should I just connect it to the battery as I have done many moons ago in the past?

Thanks in advance

Kev

DougM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Jump Start Earth Point

Postby DougM » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Health & Safety eh. I put it on the negative terminal, it hasn't blown up yet. However I would imagine any part of the body which is earthed would be sufficient.

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:37 pm

I had to jump start my megane last night.
I put the cables directly between the battery terminals of the two cars.
It started fine and nothing blew up.

Rush118

Postby Rush118 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:38 pm

I ended up putting it on the negative and all was fine started up. I read the user manual and it said to put it on the negative so like you said health and safety Meh!!! lol :rock

blazemaguire
Currently Drives:: Megane 2

Postby blazemaguire » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:03 pm

I think it's because under certain situations lead acid batteries give off hydrogen (explosive) gas... Though we're talking tiny amounts... And the chance of a big enough cloud of it to hang around an open engine bay long enough to make anything more than a mild pop are slim to none... So yeah. Stick it on the negative and then go buy a lottery ticket.

Return to “Problems / Questions”