Megane cc electrics

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jamesb1985
Currently Drives:: Megane cc, Ibiza cupra

Megane cc electrics

Postby Jamesb1985 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi, I’m new here and new to meganes. Bought one cheap with a lot of electrical gremlins. I do my own maintenance, engine changes etc so pretty handy with a spanner and hammer... I have always known these suffer massively with electrical issues but it was verrrryyyy cheap so weren’t leaving it there. It runs and drives sweet as a nut.

Now all but one window is broke. I know the issue and have ordered the parts to replace.

Central locking already fixed,

Electronic fault warning on dash along with abs light, handbrake light, stop and service lights on. Have read it can be either a fuse or a wire under the fuse box. Have t checked the wire yet as it started pissing down but all fuses seem fine.

A/c, heaters and rear window demister ain’t working. Fuses I have checked in glove box are fine and the ones I can get to under the bonnet seem ok. Radio works and horn.

With the heaters etc it seems to me like it would all point to a fuse for them all to be not working.

Bit of googling and people were saying the radio fuse can do this and the radio will still work if it’s gone. Just checked that and the fuse is fine.

Didn’t check the cigarette lighter fuse cuz it started pissing down again.

Can someone point me in a different direction or give me a new idea of where to look next please.... this has bound to have come up before...

Oh rear break lights are not working either. None of them.

I am off work next week so will spend a bit of time with the volt meter.

Thanks in advance.

alanf
Learner Driver

Re: Megane cc electrics

Postby alanf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:56 am

Welcome to the weird world of Renault electrics, I did the same bought a 05 1.5 dci est just to take the dogs out or do a dump run, like yours it was v cheap. Sometimes everything works ok usually in a dry spell temp 15 to 20 deg is ideal, colder or hotter anything can happen, no lights at all on dash, every possible light illuminated and all in between, had it 3 yrs now and goes through mot each time with a bit of work but runs well and v economical. One fine day I will get to the main fuse box under the battery box clean / renew any corroded connectors then cover them in silicone sealant to keep the water out, I think this is also your problem, best of luck and keep taking the tablets!

alanf
Learner Driver

Postby alanf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Oh yes and the brake lights could be the switch on the linkage in the passenger footwell its French after all easyer acsess to take out glove box also to get to blower motor.

Alan

Jamesb1985
Currently Drives:: Megane cc, Ibiza cupra

Postby Jamesb1985 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Updating this thread as I have found the issue...

Will list all the problems I was having as the fix fixed all of them including the speedo not working and abs light being on... completely fried my head and would cost a fortune for an auto electrician to find this issue due to the time.

Abs, service, electrical fault lights on, steering wheel not locked warning message.
Lights for air con and rear demister not illuminating although demister was still working.
Heaters not working
Brake lights not working
Wipers washers not working (wipers worked)
Cigarette lighter not working
Radio knocking itself off after 20 mins. (This still happening)

Started trying to repair and diagnose the heater issue first. Went to scrappy and got a blower, resistor and all new wiring as mine had all melted. Picked up a brake light switch as well. All come off a Renault modus for reference.

Changed everything and still nothing. Found a mod someone had done to “bypass” the burnt wires on the resistor block, will put pics up of this. (Very handy)

Dig out my volt meter and started probing everything. Fuses were fine but still no power at the block for fan.

Chased it all back and no power going Tothe fuse for the fan. Hard wired a wire direct from the battery to the fuse and wallah.... everything worked. Brake lights, heaters the lot. Even fixed the speedo and abs light issue and steering not locked errors.

How can they run so much from one fuse.....

I will run a new wire to the fuse box with an in-line fuse as I won’t be able to repair this.

Only issue it didn’t fix was the radio. Checked power to radio fuse and there’s no power going to that either so will re wire this to....

So many issues and because of one fuse...

Only posting as I don’t want anyone taking their car to an auto spark etc and being charged a fortune to find this. I couldn’t find any thing online with someone with all these issues so post for future reference...

viewtopic.php?t=19540

Return to “Problems / Questions”