Confusing warning alerts and complete engine shut down

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Mach3
Currently Drives:: Megan 1.9 estate

Confusing warning alerts and complete engine shut down

Postby Mach3 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi.
I posted a few days ago in the introduction section, but I need to scratch a few brains again. To recap, I own a 13 year old 1.9 megane automatic estate, it has don one hundred and ten thousand, full service history and in general has been well looked after. Shortly after buying it last October I noticed a flat spot on the accelerator especially when pulling away, the codes suggested the potentiometer was faulty so it was replaced with a genuine replacement part, which helped but didn't completely solve the problem. A few weeks after I was driving in traffic when the engine completely cut out, the 'select park' warning came up followed by 'injector problem' Eventually it started again but I could only crawl along as there was no power. The garage could only find a code about a faulty ABS sensor, which was replaced and everything was okay for a few weeks, until it all happened again. This time the exhaust gas regulator was found to be faulty, there were teeth missing from the quadrant gear. Again everything was okay until last week when I was doing about 40MPH and the engine cut out and completely stopped, fortunately I could coast into a layby. The warnings where the same 'select park' and 'injector problem' The RAC got me going by blanking of the exhaust gas valve. My garage say that the only code now showing is a faulty potentiometer, which was replaced about six months ago. I was told by a reply to my first post that the flat spot is due to a faulty brake switch, but as far as the other problems are concerned we're completely in the dark. Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received because as it stands the car is un drivable and a potential death trap. Regards and thanks in advance.

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Re: Confusing warning alerts and complete engine shut down

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Can I check please, does your car definitely say 'injector problem' or does it actually say 'check injection'?
The reason I ask is that 'check injection' covers much more than just the injectors. For example I have had 'check injection' come up caused by a bad connection between the throttle pedal potentiometer and the injection ECU.

You also state "My garage say that the only code now showing is a faulty potentiometer", but what about stored codes as well? Can Clip will show you old codes that have occurred in the past, along with the "context" information of other relevant values like speed, temperature, throttle opening etc. that happened at a previous point in time when a fault occurred.

Mach3

Postby Mach3 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi. Yes when the engine stalled it definitely said' select park' followed by 'injector problem' its done this now four times, once about five weeks ago when the only fault code showing was faulty ABS sensor and three times in the space of five miles when the engine completely cut out and wouldn't restart for about half an hour, when the running was rough and wouldn't rev, but when the RAC patrol man arrived about an hour and a half later it reached full revs. The patrol man did say the engine was blowing a lot, that's when he blanked off the exhaust control valve and I drove it without any problem to my garage a distance of fifteen miles The only fault showing now is faulty potentiometer. The potentiometer was replaced with a genuine replacement about six months ago when the problem with the power fall off started and the only fault code then said potentiometer. All replacement parts have been genuine, these include the ABS sensor and the exhaust control valve. The garage cancelled the old codes in order not to confuse the issue, wrongly it would appear.

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:01 pm

I've just checked the official Renault Workshop manual, and the error message "Injector Problem" isn't even listed as an available warning message on the 1.9DCi F9Q engine.
Sorry, but I don't think I can be of any more help.

Mach3

Postby Mach3 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Okay. Thanks for looking, but that was definitely the warning that came up on the dash display. Looks like I'll have to scrap it as I couldn't trade it in in the knowledge that there's a fault that could lead to nasty accident. Regards.

Return to “Problems / Questions”